Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What do you do for the Big M? >

What do you do for the Big M?

What do you do for the Big M?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM

I had a hysterectomy for my 25th birthday.....put me straight into menopause and my hair turned silver. I was on premarin off and on for years and then the doctor said no more and to "tough it out". So I did and the symptoms seem to go away. During my late 50's the symptoms all came back and the doctor said I was going through menopause again. Anti-depressants work the best for me. I suspect a quart of Kahlua per day would help but.......
Old 08-06-2011, 08:39 PM

The women in my family have really hard menopause and are blessed to have 15 - 20 years of symptoms. We go from zip to every negative symptom in a flash. I was working in a high stress job and could not handle the symptoms so went on HRT -- they were wonderful!! 15 years later I retired and went off of HRT and got slammed. I am gradually getting over it. Right now I have a few mood swings and some hot flashes/night sweats -- unfortunately my normal body temp is freezing and the hot flashes seem to hit on a nice warm day or night when I am finally warm. I asked the doctor if there was some way to delay them until I was cold -- he asid he would be a rich man if he could do that. LOL
Old 08-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Power Poster

I tried HRT right after my hysterectomy. First I had a patch on my butt. Not sure if it made a difference in my mood but I was allergic to the adhesive AND the bloody thing would travel So I had these blistery rings all over my butt.

From that, we moved to lovely little lavender estrogen pills. I turned into a giant sap. Wanted to set the table with doilies, drink tea, and say things like "istn't that precious" A LOT. I also cried a lot. OMG I couldn't stand myself.

Then we switchd to giant green testosterone boosters. I turned from a whimp to a bully. I would get into my car in the morning and just hoped that someone would pick a fight with me. Driving, in the grocery store, at work - didn't matter. I was in the clenched fist "bring it" stage.

At that point I said to heck with it and stopped all external influences. When I get a hotflash, I stick my head under the faucet. Looks a little goofy at work, but they are used to it. lol
Old 08-06-2011, 09:23 PM

10 yrs of symptoms! but i suggest soy. soy anything and everything. i don't know how or why it works, just that it does!
Old 08-07-2011, 04:43 AM

I'm through with that, but never took anything for them.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:36 AM

Thanks Marilynn for bringing up this subject.

Sometimes it's right to tough it out like someone mentioned, but sometimes toughing it out can be dangerous.

A few years ago I decided that I needed to just tough it out that everyone my age was going through the same thing. I finally couldn't stand it anymore and confided in my doctor about how I was feeling. He told me at my age it wasn't normal to be on a period more often that off it. At my age it should be so light as almost gone. He ran some blood tests and then went balistic over the results. I was extremely anemic due to the heavy periods. Papsmear showed nothing wrong. It took an ultrasound to show a uterus full of tumors. He was able to quickly schedule a hystorectomy.

So, don't try to tough something out before getting expert medical advice. We usually just hear all the horror stories so don't think your symptoms are minor just because some one else has more severe symptoms. Catch something in the early stages and you will be way better off.

Stepping down from soap box.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 AM

I take Black Cohash & a soy supplement that I get at Walmart. Works pretty good. Read where Japanese woman suffer very little with menopause because their diet has so much soy in it.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:29 AM

I have endometrial stromal sarcoma (in uterine muscle), had a hysterectomy 10 years ago, no hormones for me, but the best way is to avoid hrts like the plague, they are like cigarettes, easy to start, but terrible to stop. try flax seeds (flax seed oil is questionable), wild yam, or lots of sweet potatoes. The night sweats do pass, maybe. I have head sweats now, but I don't sweat under my arms, maybe I should put Secret on my scalp!!!
Originally Posted by chickadeee55
M meaning Menopause.

I know the symptoms. LOL But I would like to know what do you take that you find works?

Currently I take Bio Identical Hormones and am thinking of changing.

Thanks ladies for your comments.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:30 AM

I forgot, also soy products are an excellent source of natural estrogen.

Originally Posted by nhweaver
I have endometrial stromal sarcoma (in uterine muscle), had a hysterectomy 10 years ago, no hormones for me, but the best way is to avoid hrts like the plague, they are like cigarettes, easy to start, but terrible to stop. try flax seeds (flax seed oil is questionable), wild yam, or lots of sweet potatoes. The night sweats do pass, maybe. I have head sweats now, but I don't sweat under my arms, maybe I should put Secret on my scalp!!!
Originally Posted by chickadeee55
M meaning Menopause.

I know the symptoms. LOL But I would like to know what do you take that you find works?

Currently I take Bio Identical Hormones and am thinking of changing.

Thanks ladies for your comments.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:29 PM

I have been using Estroven since my older sisiter told me about it. She is still on a pedestal for that one. Blessed relief, and NO HORMONES!