Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what do you like/not like about where you live >

what do you like/not like about where you live

what do you like/not like about where you live

Old 04-25-2011, 03:33 PM

After 11 years here, I've come to accept the things I like and ignore those I don't. It is very rural here, not a lot of variety in restaurants, shopping or entertainment. I've made some great friends, though. Also, I'm only 2 hours from my oldest son and his wife. It wouldn't have been my choice but hubby loves his job and that means a lot.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:35 PM

I have traveled all over the world and lived in some lovely places along the way. No real dislikes except for the any humidity - really hate the humidity can cope with everything else.

In the end though the West Coast of Australia is where my love and heart lies. It's rugged beauty, heat, flies, wind, dust, distance you name it it has it and I love it all (some parts of it a little less) :lol:
These days I particularly love the South West as although it gets hot on occasion it is usually cooler than the rest of the state on any given day. :D

Maybe1day
Old 04-25-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by oma66
I was born and raised in New York (Lake George area in the Adirondacks) and loved it. Left when I married at 18 and lived in Norfolk and Portsmouth,VA, Biloxi,MS, Cheyenne,WY, Charlotte and Indian Trail,NC, Charleston,SC, Austin,TX, Mesa,AZ, Hahn,GERMANY, Stein and Uden, HOLLAND, AND Villota de Chions,ITALY.

I loved it everywhere we have been. I have only one complaint about Biloxi,MS - the bugs, bugs and more bugs...

What I loved most in all the places we lived are the people we met.

We spent about 13 years in Europe and it was an adventure.

We have retired in AZ because our daughters live here along with our 4 grandchildren and 5 great grandchildren, but if I had to choose a place to live other than AZ I would go back to my roots in the Adirondacks or to WV where my husband was born and raised...but would not like the long winters in either place now that we are seniors.
My husband was a police officer on the Portsmouth PD for 27 years...15 of which he was Sgt. :)

robin
Old 04-25-2011, 04:43 PM

I was born and raised in Ma, moved to Maine 7 years ago I would never go back to Ma. People here are wonderful and basic living. No frills just plain respect for Life and Nature and the ocean.Everyone here lives in LL Bean clothes and boots. They never wear out. Maine the way life should be.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 PM

Bred and born in Illinois, spent time on family farm in Mississippi, I want to move where nearest person is 5 to 10 miles away and its warm year round, if you hear of such a place please let me know. Now that I'm older, I hate the winter months. I use to like it, I do like the changing of the seasons, but I would gladly give it up for someplace warm.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:19 PM

Bred and born in Illinois, spent time on family farm in Mississippi, I want to move where nearest person is 5 to 10 miles away and its warm year round, if you hear of such a place please let me know. Now that I'm older, I hate the winter months. I use to like it, I do like the changing of the seasons, but I would gladly give it up for someplace warm.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:57 PM

Indiana- Like: seasons that actually change (especially fall), fairly flat land (one can see for quite a distance when there are no crops in the fields), excellent public universities.
Dislike: winter (snow, cold, ice), tornados (but doubt I'd like hurricanes, either)

As far as my community goes- Like: living in a small community but close enough (45 minutes) to Indianapolis to go out for dinner/shopping/theater/sporting events, small schools.
Dislike: everybody knows your 'business', no place in town to buy a nice top, pair of slacks, or shoes, no nice restaurants (just fast food and pizza places), way too many liquor and auto parts stores.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 PM

What I like....flowers blooming in February....a lot less cold weather {and snow---it rarely snows} than Illinois, where I grew up! I would much rather be hot than cold...except when it comes in flashes...LOL
Old 04-25-2011, 07:40 PM

I was born and raised in rural Western NY. Since marriage gave lived in FL, MI,now SC. Love it here. Near the mtns and not too far from the ocean. Love the short winters, Spring is glorious with flowers. Live in the suburbs..would love a lonely mountain cabin!!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 PM

I love my home in Fl in the winter , but I go home to KY. EVERY SUMMER, and live on my houseboat for four months, and yes I take my FW, and some sewing.. Lake HERRINGTON is pretty in the spring and summer. not far from LEXINGTON Cmaras