Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
what do you like/not like about where you live >

what do you like/not like about where you live

what do you like/not like about where you live

Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 PM

I have only lived in 2 places in my life: in the city, So Cal and in a rural area, Central Calif.

City loves: my family is there, 24 hour access to stores, food, shopping is close, plenty of things to do

City hates: traffic, crime, noise

Rural loves: nature and peace and quiet

Rural hates: the opposite of city loves !
Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 PM

Born and raised in southern MIchigan, moved to the upper peninsula 3 years ago. Love the cooler summers, love the friendly small town, love the quilting groups I'm in, don't mind the tons of snow in the winter (TONS of it!!) It's kind of neat to watch it pile up and see windows disappear! And it's so white and pretty all the time because it snows almost every day! And let's face it, cold is cold! What's 5 or 10 more degrees colder? But I hate that it's so far away from my friends and family.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:44 PM

Born in Oklahoma City grew up between there and St. Louis. Hated ice storms,tornados, and sand storms. I will never go back. I have lived in The Plains, VA for 40 years,loved the beauty,the seasons hated the traffic to work an back. We decided to move closer to our work and now I live in MD and work in DC. Hate the traffic, high cost of living heat and humidity. Basically only like the fact I am 10 mins. From work, not much else. I miss my mountains, cool nights, wildflowers, I would love to go back to VA.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:45 PM

Today? I hate my psychopathic neighbords hurling nasty profanity at one of my dogs over the fence. Do they REALLY think the dog is going to stop barking when they're screaming at him? And BTW - the dog STARTED barking because the physcho neighbors were tossing broken tree branches over the fence into MY yard (witnessed by me through the kitchen window). Of course the dogs are going to bark when their turf is invaded.

And I'm not calling them psycho because of one incident. These folks are well known in the neighborhood for being syrupy sweet one minute and off the charts the next yelling, screaming, hurling the worst profanity 3" from your face. Has happened numerous times. What is the probabilty that husband AND wife are both bi-polar? dunno, but distinct possibility with these two.

What I like is when it's normal and quiet which frankly is most of the time. Until psycho neighbor (who introduces himself as follows "Call me Elvis ... Elvis Presley".

small town living :)
Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 PM

Born in Ohio. Lived in big city of Columbus for 35 years. Loved access to shopping, grocery stores and restaurants. Dislikes of city: sirens, trash from lazy people, road rage.

Live in country now. Likes: burning a fire in the fire pit. Camping in the yard during family reunions, watching the sun set or rise over the horizon, friendly neighbors (even the ones who don't know you), personalized bankers, post office staff, store clerks.

Dislikes: 1/2 hour drive to nearest big grocery store, nearest neighbor 1/4 mile away (not sure this is a bad idea), 2 1/2 miles to nearest gas station, well water (yuk) and blowing and drifting snow during the winters.

Out of all the dislikes, I'd have to say the snow is probably the worst thing about being out here. I've been in the country for 16 years now, and I don't ever want to go back to the big city.

If I had my druthers (did I really say that?) I'd live in Tennessee. I love the weather and the land.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 PM

Have lived in Western PA all of my life. Used to love the four seasons but the older we get the more we hate the long cold winters. Hubby not quite ready to retire although he could, have been talking about going to Florida for part of the year when he does. I just don't know if I can be away from my grandkids 4 months of the year.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:02 PM

Born in upstate NY, lived in Illinois, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Florida, Hawaii and Maryland, as well as, a few foreign countries.

I miss the south. And, yes, I do know Maryland is south of the Mason-Dixon line. Cost of living in Maryland is high, traffic is a nightmare 99% of the time, and crime is outrageous.
The history of the area to include Virginia and D.C. is amazing.

Linda
Old 04-24-2011, 06:09 PM

Born in KY, grew up in TN. Love my mountains.
Lived in:
Beaumont, Texas: Too hot, too humid
Lawton, Oklahoma: Military town nothing to do..too many tornadoes
England: beautiful just missed some of the American conveniences
Macon, Georgia: Like Georgia just not state tax.
St. Petersburg, Florida: Too hot, too humid
Denver, Colorado: loved loved loved Colorado...no bugs no humidity
Now..Back in Florida....home is where my family lives.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
I love everything about Texas. We've been fortunate and travel quite a bit worldwide. Love, love lots of places we have been; but there is no place like Texas (heat and all!).
sounds like us..traveled the country, but there is no place like Texas.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 PM

Hubby was military so moved a bit and except for couple years lived in south. Grew up in Florida,
Lived there most, now live in Alabama. I love the south,it is never too hot for me. I hate to be cold. Now where I live very rural and I love the quietness, little traffic, small town living. One dislike, have to drive 45 min to bigger town to buy fabric, but on bright side, I make it a day out with lunch or whatever.