Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What do your Grandkids call you??

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure you always get to choose. Kids have a way of saying something before they talk well and then it sticks. I know a lady called "Mammy" because her first grandchild couldn't say Mamaw. She didn't love it at first, but now the great grandkids call her that, too.

My kids call my mother Mamaw. They call my father Old Bob. He started that when the first one was born and it stuck. He has grandkids from 4 to 25 calling him Old Bob.

When the first one came, I was Nana. Then came the second and he already had a Nana (her other grandkids call her that) and I didn't want him to think anything that I did came from his other "Nana" so to him I am Grammy...lol I get a little confused sometimes on who I am. I just hope they don't have issues...she's my Nana...no, she's my Grammy! They are only about a year apart.

I'm Mimi (with the first I sounding like I as in Kim not a long e) and my husband is Grumpy.
    Ellen......I'm gonna go play now

http://bestsmileys.com/computer1/19.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/auntie_em22

My husband and I are G - Ma and G - Pa. Ever since my oldest grand started talking, this is what we have been called, don't know why he started calling us that - but it works.
    Aronel aka Lee

I am Grammy and I love it!! Hubby is Pappaw but the little one calls him Pap Pap. I wish we would have chosen Grampy for him!
    Gloria 

I am called Grammy, however most of the time I get "But,Gram"
    My DGKs live with me and thats what i get when i tell them no about something.
    I tell them that's not my name. LOL
    Darlene

My oldest grandchild called me Mayma as did some of the others that came along. Some
    call me Gramma. I have a brother and sister in law who are called Sweet Mama and Sweet
    Papa by their grandchildren. I won't comment on that.

Oops, didn't mean to post twice

Blog Entries
    Dragon Lady! Its a well earned title! (Nana usually.)
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I am called Granny...kinda a title for me, my Granny was one of the most special ladies in my life. I can only hope I can live up to it/her.
    Vicki W

We were supposed to be Oma and Opa, the German names. My first grandchild decided we were O-Mommy and O-Poppy and then ended up with Oni and Opi so that's who we turned out to be. Never heard any others called that so i guess we're original.

My son married a girl from China. Our GD calls me NiNi(rhymes with my,my) and my husband is YeYe(sounds like yea,yea). Her mother is called PawPaw and her father GongGong.
    raynhamquilter
    I hope you dance!

because i am 5'8" tall and my gk's other grandmother is 4'11" tall we are big grandma and little grandma. as someone else said here, "i am just glad to be called." since my granddaughters are in their teens i now sign greeting cards as b.g. saves time writing. lol
    pdcakm alias pat
    If things go wrong, don't go with them. ~Roger Babson

Blog Entries
    That is really cute...all of these replies have been so interesting. Thank-you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
    We were supposed to be Oma and Opa, the German names. My first grandchild decided we were O-Mommy and O-Poppy and then ended up with Oni and Opi so that's who we turned out to be. Never heard any others called that so i guess we're original.

You will become what the child Loves not what you love!
    May Your Life Be Full of Charity and Love.

Blog Entries
    Memaw, Mammaw, and Grandma. They each chose on their own a name for me. I just want them to call me.

I am grandma to the grandkids and GiGi to the great gks. Husband is Poppy to all the kids and their friends.

mltquilt

I think you're over-worrying the situation. When the time comes for that grandchild to start talking, you'll be so happy to hear whatever he calls you.

Blog Entries
    you don;t get to pick the name!! They do! It seems each child comes uup with their own version. My husband is Ampa and I'm Grandma! Don't know why, just what he says
    Patski
    always learning

It's the most fun to let the grand kids decide what they want to call you -----

My husband and I are grandpa and grandma, the other set of grandparents are Oma and Papa. But my one grandson who just turned 6 still calls me grandpa (I just checked myself and it looks like I'm a she).

Pat in MN

Until the Grands could talk we were called lots of names. 10-25 YO all calls us Gramma and Grampa. Oldest Granddaughter lives with us and when she leaves us a note she signs it Gma and Gpa. Our two Great Granddaughters call us GGma and GGpa. Their other Grandparents are Korean and they call them those names.
    I'm with others any name is okay as long as they call me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I am "Noni" to all my GK's and GGK's...and I love it! They know exactly who's being referred so they can relate. My Mom was "Nana"; one of my DD's is "NaaNaa", the other is "Meemaw" (which I don't care for, but hey, whatta I know?)
    and one of MY DGM's was "Gramma" and the other, "Grandma". I do have to admit that I have an older DGS who sometimes slips up and calls me his "gun-totin" granny"...I mean, c'mon! Just because we shoot together??? Whatever name we all go by, those "babies" know who to run to....
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Blog Entries
    My dh's father was called PawPaw, which evolved quickly into PopPop. My mil asked to be called Nana.

Blog Entries
    Nice to see what everyone is called- some cute names there! I am not a grandmother but wanted to mention the old Irish title- Mamó- which I think is cute! It's pronounced 'momMOH'

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast