Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: What do your Grandkids call you??

My last name is long. When I was teaching school, for the children's sake, I was called Mrs. K. Now, Grandma K will do just fine. She can easily separate Grandma Z and me. Frankly, I am happy to be a grandmother. It was an easy decision.
    Last edited by mcar; 09-16-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    I'm gramajo. My MIL was grandma (last name). I didn't want the same name so I told GS to call me gramajo. My GD couldn't pronounce it so I was Jojo for awhile. I loved that. My ex was just Grandpa. Other grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa (last name).
    My grandmothers were both called Grandma (last name). Both of my grandfathers passed away before I was born.

When one daughter got married, her husband called my father "gramps". I thought my dad would hate it, but he actually liked it. Sure surprised me. I would have called him "grumps" lol SIL grew up without any grandparents at all, so he was thrilled to have a gramps. Dad and he had a lot in common. He just called my mother by her nickname.

Grandma Sal or Dee-Dee
    Kaye Jacobson Salverda

Power Poster
    Grandma Peg

Blog Entries
    I can't help myself...a friend of mine, while growing up was called CheeChee - her real name was Geraldine- by any weird chance?????It would be so neat if you were her. If not, I now almost know two CheeChee's. All my grandchildren and great grandchildren call me Grandma and my husband was called Grandpa. Just to test the waters for my mood, some of them might call me grannie. Love them all regardless of what they call me.

Just Barb, you now know two CheeChees. As long as I can remember I've been CheeChee. My brothers and one and lonely cousin still call me that. That is why I think the grands and great-grands picked it up. They will call you what-ever they can say. You just hope its something nice. LOL
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

My mother thought she was too young to be a grandma so she became
    "Honey" because that's what the first grandchild always heard my dad
    call her.
    She's Crafty!
    Wendygirl

When my DD and DSIL were expecting my grandson, my DD and I talked about what I would be called. I didn't really feel like a "Grandma", which is what my grandmothers and my DD's grandmothers were called. We're Heinz-variety when it comes to ethnicity. We finally settled on "Ama" (just sort of made it up). I spent a lot of time staying with them to take care of my DGS while they both worked, so "Ama" turned out to be just a shortened "Mama". He turned out to have a speech problem, so "Ama" was much easier for him to wrap his mouth around, too. One of his speech pathologists had a real problem with his calling me "Ama" and insisted that she could teach him to say "Grandma". He told her that he could say "Grandma" just fine, but that I was his "Ama". I just smiled! He also has a "Grandma" (step-grandmother) and a "Nana". Both his grandfathers are "Papa" followed by their first names.

My sister's grand kids call her Chickey. I think that's the cutest yet.

Banned
    My grandkids call me Grandma; the 2 other grannies are called Grandmommy and Mimi

My son (49) called my Mom Golly - she used to sing Hello Dolly to him and somehow it all combined to Golly.
    He wanted me to be called gollytoo by his kids - I being stupidly stubborn said no.
    Notice I use Golly for everything else now.

Gram is what I get. Which I love. Enjoy the new crown you will be wearing.

I am Mimi and DH is PaPa. They call their other grands GiGi and PopPop. The other one calls her other grands Nanaw and Grandpa.

Mine call me either Grandma, grammy or gram gram. I just don't want to be called Nana! No offense meant to those who are called Nana.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Congratulations! Mine call me grandma and it doesn't make me feel old, it makes me feel loved. I wear it with pride.

My grandchildren call me Gramma Barb. My husband is Pop.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    I go by mawmaw and DH goes by pawpaw. Not my first choice but really could not think of anything else I liked. My sister has friends that are called Lolly and Pop. (hehehe)
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

All 3 of mu grandkids call me something different. My granddaughter calls me Nanna, her brother calls me Nina. My other grandson calls me Naynays. My husband is Pappy to the brother and sister and Parpars to our other grandson. You could just wait and let them name you. I think Nanna is what Kayli could say from her parents calling me Grandma Danna. Her other grandma is Mim, or her version of a shortened grandma Missy. It is a whole new wonderful world!
    danna

My husband is called Oompa by our grandsons. Supposedly this is the Indian (western) word for grandfather. The word for grandmother was about 20 letters long so I didn't think it was an option for me!
    Lalanne

This question has been on my mind for a while. My first grandchild is due in February. I doubt I will have any say in it but I like Gramma or Grammy. I've also been thinking Gram Pam. Is that too weird?

My oldest grandson started calling me Nana when he was about 10 months old. My sister's grandchildren call her Grammy. My kids called my mother Granny and DH's mother Grandma, so I didn't want to be called either of those. I'm satisfied to be called Nana.

I called my maternal grandmother "Gram" most of the time. My paternal grandmother was a little more formal; she preferred to be called "Grandma {lastname}.

My mom goes by "Oma" and my dad (while he was alive) was "Opa" to my niece and nephew. I like that, it's easy for little ones to say. They call me "Auntie Blue" (my family nickname is "Blue") but when they were younger it came out "Annie Boo", which I loved! They're 11 and 8 now and I miss being "Annie Boo". "Auntie Blue" is pretty cool too, though.

This is a fun thread and I've enjoyed reading all the posts. All ten of my grands call me Bebe, a name my daughter and my son picked out when they started their families. (My name is Betty and my maiden name starts with a "B", so it was easy to get Bebe from that, I guess.)

This is so funny. I remember before my grandson was born, thinking the same thing. What I wanted or not wanted to be called. My mom was Memere to my kids. I didn't want to be Memere. I thought Grammy & Grampy would be nice. My grandson calls me Mema/Mima (whichever way it's spelled) and my husband Grampy. Someone told me they'll call you whatever they want or can say.

i have 11 grands and they all dont call us the same name , we are memaw Penny , papa Dan , gram, or just gramma and grampa

Blog Entries
    With grandkids...26, 24, and 12...Nannie to them and don't remember how that started...only their other grandmother was Nana...Dh is PawPaw...I wanted to be called "Grandmother Shirley"...HA!! that didn't fly...LOL
    I recovered...LOL ...love them just the same...now working on 2 yr. old greatgrandson...he's not talking much...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast