Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: What do your Grandkids call you??

Blog Entries
    My grand kids all call me Grandma and they call DH Grandpa - pronounced Gramma and Grampa most of the time. Well all except Wilbur. He gets us mixed up some of the time. He knows who he means and we get the idea.

My Mom and Dad are Great Grandma and Great Grandpa and he mixes them up too. He is only 2 1/2.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I'm 54 and wasn't ready to be Grandma. so I get Gram cracker and we have a lot of fun with that!

Congrats on becoming a grandparent, it is so much fun! I am called Grand and my DH is Grand Dad. Easy and sweet coming out of 2 & 3 year old mouths

I'm Nonie (could not come up with a name so my daughter referred to me as No Name and DGD came up with Nonie) and my DH is Boompa (who knows!). My granddaughter's other grandmother, Pat, is Paka (her rendition of Pat) and granddad is PopPop.

http://www.grandparents.com/family-a...ndparent-names

this may help or just confuse the issue even more!!!

LOL I was insistent that I was GRANDMA So 2 of my grandchildren call me Grandma Karen, 4 call me Grandma and 1 insists on calling me Grandpa and my husband Grandma. She knows whats right but she just gets a kick out of it.

Blog Entries
    I chose GRANNIE when first DGS was born, and I was 50. He is now 21 and still calls me Grannie. I remember when I was doing the "day care shuffle" when the boys were little, the day care providers were so surprised to meet me after they had heard all about Grannie. They thought I was going to be old and frail. My Gkids argue about who will get my truck when I pass into the great beyond. They called my DH Pepop. I don't really know where that came from, just what the first DGS started saying. Whatever you choose will be so wonderful to hear the first time the grandchild can say it. It doesn't matter what he/she calls you, just know that you will have a very special place in that little heart.

You can say now what you want them to call you, but they sorta choose and it sticks. Mine call me Grandma and papa. When we were expecting our first grandchild my husband had it in his head we were not going to be called anything but Grandma and Grandpa, no Nana(like my sister) or MiMi (like my other sister) and no Papa. Now that he is Papa he is perfectly content with it. My advice just go with whatever they call you and love every minute of it.
    Life is good when you make time for family and friends and of course quilting!

Kathy Sinclair

Our DGD calls us Gramma and grampa. She only calls me "Grandmother" when she does her eye roll because her grandmother is being "silly." She has also been known to call me "Lovely" when I have done something she thinks is extraordinary. LOL Gotta love 'em.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I am called Gma & DH is Gpa. Which is fine the other grandparents don't like to be called Grand at all .. so whatever, call me Gma or Grandma, Grandmother.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

My grandson called me mamaw on his own, I wanted something else because his other he calls his other grandma mamaw, but when he says Mamaw I love you it's like music to my ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Donna H-M View Post
    When grandson started talking he called me Mom Mom. So that's who I am
    My daughter taught her son ( my first grandchild) to call me Mom Mom....it took a little time but then I realized something!...I had 3 children of my own, and after working all day, coming home to make dinner, etc...the kids would all be there wanting to tell or show me something , and all I heard was...Mom! MOM! Mom! MOM!....now she has the grandchildren doing a double MOM!! WOW! But....
    14 grandchildren later......I actually LOVE to hear them call to me!

My DGD calls me Grannie Lou - hence my name here - her other Grandmother is Grandma Judy.
    I like mine better!!

Blog Entries
    I'm Nana but I have a sister who is "Me" because when the grandbabies were young she was say to them, "come here and give "ME" a kiss" so they thought that was her name.

You just gave me such a happy memory. My first grandson called me "Grandma Bubbles" because when I gave him a bath I taught him how to blow bubbles with a cupped hand and soap suds.
    Grandma Alice from Iowa

My grandchildren called me "Gramma Ei", short for Eileen. Now my little great grandchildren call me, "GiGi for great grandma. My husband is "Pop". Love those little ones.
    Gigi

When our youngest grandson started talking, he couldn't pronounce his R's. Since my name is Barb, he always called me Gramma Bob!! The preschool teacher questioned my daughter," Just who is this Gramma Bob he talks about all the time!!!" I'm still called that today & he is 14!!! Just wanted to tell you about one name a grandchild used!!

Blog Entries
    My Grandkids call me Granny, which I love. That is what My son called My Mom. My DH's Mom was Gram. I called mine Grandma. What ever you like!!!! It is so nice being a Granny!!!!
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Well, my Mom was called Honey, my oldest daughter was repeating what my Mom called her. My first grandson started calling me DeeDee, not sure why but it stuck. Sometimes it's not what you want to be called but what the child picks. If this is the first grandchild, be prepared to lose your mind!! If I had known what fun they were, I would have had them first!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

My DGD became my DGD, at age 7-1/2, when my DD married my SIL. I wanted to be "Granny" (after Granny Clampett! LOL) but my DGD insisted I didn't look old enough to be Granny (still waiting for that beautiful white hair). We compromised and she calls me Gramma.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    My oldest call me nana or nanny, but when my youngest and only daughter got pregnant she wanted her kids to call me GiGi so that's what her kids call me; they like it that they are the only ones that call me that. My son started dating and the women has a little daughter who started calling me GiGi because she heard the others saying it. My 6yr old GS was upset because he and his sister were the only ones to call me that. I let it go and told him it was up to her what she called me. If her and my son ever got married I'd want the little girl to feel welcome and not be hurt because the other little ones call me something that she's not allowed to. I told him he would always be extra special to me not matter what anyone calls me. They call thier grandpa PopPop; because that is what the oldest ended up changing Papa to. Except for me he ended up calling all of his grandparents something a little different than what they wanted. There is also granddaddy and me-maw
    Judy

I am called Mommaw and husband is Poppaw. One of my other granddaughters calls her other grandpa Poppy. Myself I like Meme or Grammy. My son is Pa and his wife is Nana.
    Last edited by sunny42539; 09-16-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Red face Names for Grandparents

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    My husband and I am having our first Grandchild. What do we have them call us?? When I say Grandmother I think old...My Grandmothers were about 54+ when I was born so growing up. I do remember no like saying Grandmother it was so unfriendly as a child. My grandmother on the other side was Meme - I don't seem like a meme either...I am not a nana...thinking Gram. My husband feels the same...so we are searching what to called. My husband said his first name but to me that is not right or respectful. Suggestions...
    I chose Nana because I was so close to my beloved Nana. We had a difficult time deciding on a name for Brad. Friends had a grandchild who was about 3 and when he tried to say Grandpa it came out "Beepa". Ron called Brad and said he would share 'Beepa' with him so that's how it started. At 2 our first grandson started calling him 'Pawsie' (we have no idea where that came from) and that's what the others call him. We are Nana and Pawsie. Your are what your first granchild names you!
    Chris
    Third star to the right and straight on til morning.....

Blog Entries
    I'm called Meme and my husband is Peepa. He was suppose to be pappaw but it ends up Peepaw instead. We have mawmaw, mamew, memaw, nana, Pico, and finally Gangow.
    We have POP POP, papaw, Granddaddy, and my favorite D-dad
    Sewflower

I'm not a grandmother yet, but just for input,I called my one grandmother Nene, the other one Gram, my kids, called my mother Betty Lou, because Betty was her name, and Betty Lou is a Sesame Street character and my youngest son started calling her that early on. I've decided that if I have grandchildren, I want to be called Pippa. I just think its so cute, and I want to be a cute grandmother, not a scary Grandmother!

My name is Nona. My husband is grandpa (by his own choosing).When my children were born both of their great grandmothers were still with us, plus both of the grandmothers, and even my greatgrandmother. Name selection was pretty slim. We already had Grannie, Ma Maw, Maman, and Nona. My Nona was the first to pass when the first grandchild was too young to talk so I took Nona. ( I am Italian). It was either that or Do-Nuts (My second grandson always wanted me to bring donuts if I came over in the morning) I like Nona better. We have 14 grandchildren....I think were are done now. Ages 26 to 6.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast