What does your name mean?

Old 01-31-2012, 01:50 PM

from http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Kimberly

Kimberly meaning and name origin

Kimberly \k(i)-mber-ly, kimb(e)-rly\ as a girl's name (also used as boy's name Kimberly), is pronounced KIM-ber-lee. It is of Old English origin, and the meaning of Kimberly is "Cyneburg's field". Place name and surname: Cyneburg was an Old English personal name meaning "royal forest". Masculine use of the name can be traced back to the Boer War, when English soldiers were fighting in the South African town of Kimberley. Judge Kimba Wood.

Kimberly is a very popular first name for women (#24 out of 4276) and also a very popular surname or last name for all people (#14276 out of 88799). (1990 U.S. Census)

luckily the use of this name has dropped so it's not as confusing when I hear someone say my name...
Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 PM

Anna means Graceful One or Grace. I am not.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:47 PM

My name is English, derived from Latin 'Margarita, which was from Greek meaning pearl. So, I am Margeret Pearl. My middle name was from my Aunt and had nothing to do with what the name means, just a coincidence.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:09 PM

Alfreda---elf counsel

I'm named after a young girl that used to follow my dad's group of soldiers in Germany. They all said that she was around 10 and had been orphaned. They fed her, gave her blankets and basically took care of her.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM

Thank you for that site . I never knew what my name meant .My name is Narda and all I knew is that my mom used to read a comic strip called "Mandrake the Magician" and she read it every day(I checked on line and it is still going) and Mandrake was inlove with "Princess Narda" and that is where my name came from. The site you mentions that my name means radiant in Arabic..cool I did not know that!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 AM
Banned

Bayoane Rosemary Romayne, only one listed!
Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 AM

My name is Mary. Here is the meaning:

Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) and Μαρια (Maria) - the spellings are interchangeable - which were from the Hebrew name מִרְיָם (Miryam). The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love".This is the name of several New Testament characters, most importantly Mary the virgin mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene. Due to the Virgin Mary this name has been very popular in the Christian world, though at certain times in some cultures it has been considered too holy for everyday use. In England it has been used since the 12th century, and it has been among the most common feminine names since the 16th century. The Latinized form Maria is also used in English as well as in several other languages.
This name has been borne by two queens of England, as well as a Queen of Scotland, Mary Queen of Scots. Another notable bearer was Mary Shelley (1797-1851), the author of 'Frankenstein'. A famous fictional character by this name was Mary Poppins, from the children's books by P. L. Travers.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 AM
Banned

Being a Catholic, I was named for a saint.
I dimly recall she is the patron saint of ice skating - something I no longer do.
It is also my Mother's name; I think of myself more as being named in her honor.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:22 PM

Linda means "beautiful."
Old 02-02-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by loves_2_quilt View Post
Debbie

USAGE: English, Hebrew, Biblical
OTHER SCRIPTS: דְּבוֹרָה (Hebrew)
PRONOUNCED: DEB-ə-rə (English), DEB-rə (English) [key]

Means "bee" in Hebrew. Deborah was a heroine and prophetess who led the Israelites to defeat Canaanites as told in the Old Testament Book of Judges. Also in the Old Testament, this is the name of the nurse of Rebecca. Long a common Jewish name, Deborah was first used by English Christians after the Protestant Reformation, and it was popular among the Puritans.
This is mine also!