Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What food did you hate as a child? >

What food did you hate as a child?

What food did you hate as a child?

Old 05-28-2012, 06:56 AM

Hated the smell of hominy cooking on the stove, let alone the gagging when I was urged to taste it
Old 05-28-2012, 08:03 AM

Spinach, cooked. Still makes me gag. I didn't care much for strawberries as a kid, but learned to eat them as an adult. Now I love them. I think I liked most anything when I was a kid. My husband and I look at all the young people today who are so picky, we weren't like that at all. I loved fresh tomatoes on everything when I was a kid and my grandchildren won't eat much fresh veggies at all, much less a tomato. I think we were lucky.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Thank God I've never hated tomatoes, I'd starve to death now if I didn't eat them, LOL!

Those of you who have an strong aversion to melon and fish (scallops) probably have a sensitivity ("allergy") to those things. My daughter is violently sensitive to all tropical fruits - mango, papaya, banana, pineapple, etc. - they can actually cause vomiting, throat swelling, and hallucinations for her! I find that so strange!

My dislike is peas - Mother always burned the bottom of the pan she cooked them in, I can see that dang little pan to this day! Ugh.

I'm also not gonna eat, oysters, clams, okra (other than fried), yams, collards, turnips, creamed chipped beef, chicken gizzards -(who on earth ever thought up putting something like that in their mouth?!).

Hmmmmm, I look at this list and wonder about my Southern heritage - 400 year+ Virginian that I am. But my mama was a Yankee cook, we often had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding or baked chicken and rice for Sunday dinner.

This is a funny topic!

Jan in VA
Old 05-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

yellow canned squash!!! i swallowed it, no chewing!! ick.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:21 AM

I hated hamburger and mac & cheese. I've learned to eat hamburger, but still hate mac & cheese.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 AM

I used to hate Cream of Wheat and similar grainy cereals, still do, I hate grits. You can't convince me that grits is not the same thing as Cream of wheat.

I used to hate egg salad but now I love it. I remember being told if I did not eat my egg salad sandwich I could not got the movies with my family that night. (I ate it).

I just don't get the point of forcing a kid to eat something they don't like. I vividly remember having to sit at the table long after supper to finish what I didn't like. And yet, I can not remember what that food was.

My sister hated lima beans and used to swallow them whole, like pills.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:29 AM

LIVER!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATED LIVER! and would Toss my cookies! but my mom tryed to make me eat it cause I was low Iron.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Liver and onions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!UGH!!!!!
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Raw oysters! I can't get past how that look. I don't know if I'd like the taste or not.
Yes I understand this I've never eaten them BUT my inlaws did and put them in stuffing What away to Distroy Good Food!! And Lets just get it out of the WAY they Look like something a Three year old Dug out!! LOL
Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Black pepper, peppers of all kinds, tomatos, onions, turnips, peanut butter (unless it had honey with it), rabbit, spinach, mustard, sardines, buttermilk, oil and vinegar dressing, sauerkraut, kiwis, goats milk, and I am sure there are more.

I like tomatos, onions, and spinach now.