Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What have you done for someone lately? >

What have you done for someone lately?

What have you done for someone lately?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM

Before Christmas, my daughter and I bought canned goods, and personal items to take to a dear lady here who is on disability and has bad health problems. We haven't been able to deliver them yet though, because she is out of town with her daughter's family. That's good because they don't often come see her at all, and complain when she's there that they don't have enough room for her. As soon as she's back home again, we'll take the things we bought to her.

I also have my mom and uncle living here with us. He is on hospice and right now is going downhill. We call him the come back kid, becaue he's bounced back so many times. Only this time, I think he hung on for Christmas, becuase he's gone downhill like a rock ever since. I don't know what we have ahead of us, but God will see us through. I just don't want him to suffer, and so far hospice has not provided us with any pain meds of any kind. grrrrr.....
Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

I am so thrilled with all the stories I have read! Thank you everyone for sharing!!

There are so many ways we can lift someone's spirits with or without money.
I so enjoy just seeing a smiling face when you see so many frowns and scowls around you. It just makes the day brighter.

It is wonderful to know there are still people who look outward and not so much inward!! Great to see so many helping others!!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

I have a special fondness for clerks at stores b/c I know they don't make much and have to deal with a lot of crabby people. I like to smile, say "how are you?" and stuff like that. I want them to know our brief encounter is important to me and they are valued It's amazing how a small gesture can make someone feel special and that makes me so happy :)
Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks for all the great stories! The ones about being a good listener especially struck home with me. I try to be a good listener....I'm blessed (or cursed) with the ability to successfully type on my computer, or data entry or whatever, and listen at the same time. The work is still accurate and I can repeat every word of the story I'm listening to. All that is fine and good, but you all reminded me that just because I can doesn't mean I should. It's not very considerate to the person talking to me and they probably leave feeling as though I resented their interruption....sigh. I'll try to do better. :-)
Old 12-29-2010, 08:58 PM

I was on my way back from a dinner out with the girls. My friend and I were discussing a third acquaintance's situation. Single mom, three kids, no support income, going to school to better her career etc. And now she was getting the runaround from financial assistance!
I had just got a Christmas bonus. So I looked my friend in the eye, and we just knew.
We went to the grocery store, loaded up a cart, my friend knew some of the family's likes and dislikes, and we even threw in a bag of her fav chips.
Then we knocked on the door, brought the bags, and bags, and bags, in and set them on the kitchen floor. I wished her a Merry Christmas and set off. My friend, who is closer to her stayed with her a while - until she stopped crying and helped her put the groceries away.
Y'now, I didn't miss the bonus. But she'll never forget it.
I remember as a kid, my Dad doing something similar. We dropped in on a family on the way back from getting groceries, and she was upset because she couldn't even make a cup of tea for us. Dad unloaded the car and we went home. When he explained to Mom why we had no groceries, she just hugged him. That's one of the reasons I love my folks.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:15 AM

We lost one of our quilt group ladies, I knew she had problems and was busy for holidays...so did not call when she missed Nov. meeting. Come to find out, she had rapidly growing brain tumor and passed away within 6 weeks! I called and spoke with her hubby for almost an hour, reminiscing (sp) and just gabbing...he has no close family. We also sent flowers to the funeral, I loved it when I saw our flowers were so very much nicer than what her garden club sent :)
Old 12-30-2010, 06:05 AM
j

I received so many 50% off coupons from different stores and I really didnt need anything but went to look around and if people had things that could use the coupons I gave away 10 coupons like that and yesterday got a 5$ off coupon at the grocery store and gave it to the people behind me. Most of the time I forget to take them with me and lose out anyway. Also took many canned goods to different places. It doesnt seem like much but I donate during the year also. - j
Old 12-30-2010, 06:27 AM

I make a huge amount of Christmas cookies every year. This year I made up tins and dropped them off to elderly people who I know don't bake and some single friends of my husband who definitely don't bake. Everyone said they enjoyed the goodies and it lifted their Christmas spirits : ) I think sometimes it's just the little things :)
Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 AM

I went to an elderly friends home and shampooed her hair and rolled it for her. Told her I wasn't a professional but she was just thrilled to have her hair shampooed. She hasn't been able to get out to the beauty shop.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:06 AM

I'm not to cool, with tattoos but the young
Women that cuts my hair, had one on her arm in the
shape of scissors, very cool looking,an eye catcher
but very nice !! and she just lit up like a christmas tree,
when I commented on it !! I'm learning it's all on how
one makes one feel !!!
As I left she said, bye miss Olga :)