Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What have you done for someone lately? >

What have you done for someone lately?

What have you done for someone lately?

Old 12-30-2010, 07:16 AM

Thru our Church we always have way to share but this year the time I had the most fun, was doll clothes. We have an chili cookoff and auction every year to raise money for the women's ministry this year I did not have time to make doll clothes but I put a promise note in and 2 little girls started to bid but they did not have enough money, so our Preacher finished bidding for them, the next wed nite they brought me a drawing of what they would like. blue jeans and pjs needless to say they received a little more than that , but the looks on their faces when they opened their bags warmed me to tears. I really think with times being like they are just a smile and kind word does more than we know.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:20 AM

I have sent someone a template/ruler they wanted, but couldn't get.....:) And I donate regularly to Habitat for the Humanity and St. Vincent dePaul's (and buy from them regularly, too). I have a friend that is in a bad situation......so I tend to back extra and take the extras to them, telling them I need to diet so they can have the extra.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

You guys are so inspirational!! I love these stories! Thank you so much for sharing them!!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Rhonda, I thank YOU for bringing this post to fruition!! I am so touched by these stories.
Happy New Year, hon!! :D:D:D
Old 12-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Since I live in Minnesota and it gets pretty darn cold some times, I always stop for a person that is walking in the crosswalk. I know its the law that you are suppose to stop but you would be surprised at how many people don't stop. Never could figure it out, since they are in their nice warm car and your outside freezing your butt off.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:28 AM

my co. did well this year and yes, I gave bonuses to my staff but I wanted to do more. An email from my sister was the perfect answer. A family at church needed some help. They weren't asking for it, just was talking in general how tough it is and Mom felt overwhelmed. My sister took it upon herself to send an email to all her bffs and it took off. My staff and I had a blast- one of my girls is a huge shopper- knew all the sales and had the greatest coupons. We outfitted the 3 kids from Aeropostale- socks, jeans, hoodies, shirts, and even coats! I bought everything for their Christmas dinner. Sister's office buddies bought toys, the church gave gas cards and $ for more groceries. Sister and hubby bought food for 2 weeks (kids get breakfast and lunch through school).

The family was just amazed. Mom kept saying- we weren't asking for anything, I was just letting off steam. The best part- they were having difficulty making their mortgage payments and I managed to give her some info that has helped her keep her house. I also gave her the name of a place for hubby to apply for a better job and for her to add to her teaching credentials.

Now that's happiness.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Rhonda, I thank YOU for bringing this post to fruition!! I am so touched by these stories.
Happy New Year, hon!! :D:D:D
Thank you Sue. My mom and I have talked alot about the lack of courtesy in the world today. So I am one that prefers to see the positive so I wondered as in Janet Jackson's song "What have you done for me lately" only I wanted to know what everyone does for others!

It has been an interesting thread!!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barbm
my co. did well this year and yes, I gave bonuses to my staff but I wanted to do more. An email from my sister was the perfect answer. A family at church needed some help. They weren't asking for it, just was talking in general how tough it is and Mom felt overwhelmed. My sister took it upon herself to send an email to all her bffs and it took off. My staff and I had a blast- one of my girls is a huge shopper- knew all the sales and had the greatest coupons. We outfitted the 3 kids from Aeropostale- socks, jeans, hoodies, shirts, and even coats! I bought everything for their Christmas dinner. Sister's office buddies bought toys, the church gave gas cards and $ for more groceries. Sister and hubby bought food for 2 weeks (kids get breakfast and lunch through school).

The family was just amazed. Mom kept saying- we weren't asking for anything, I was just letting off steam. The best part- they were having difficulty making their mortgage payments and I managed to give her some info that has helped her keep her house. I also gave her the name of a place for hubby to apply for a better job and for her to add to her teaching credentials.

Now that's happiness.
WOW Barb! Way to go!! You and your friends have really made a differance in that family's life!

We had our really really tough years when my kids were growing up so it brings me to tears to read things like this.! I remember thinking if I only had $20 it would help so much. I relied on my family at times or we wouldn't have gotten through those years even tho my DH had a good job it was still tough.

I would feel bad that I didn't tithe at church like I felt I should be but didn't. So at times when I had a little extra I would send $10 or $20 to someone anonymously. The Lord would lead me to that person and I would send what I could. I only hope it helped them as much as it did me. I would imagine them opening the mail and seeing that money and it felt good knowing I did something that would make their day brighter.

There were times when $20 meant being able to feed my kids or not. Or needing gas in my car to get to work. So I totally understand the needs that just $20 can fill.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 AM

I love this topic, lots of good ideas, & good deeds here. Nice to know, some I haven't even thought of yet!

Whenever I leave the house & am out & about, I keep a natural smile on my face. I choose to be happy & it works, trust me! My smile is such a habit now, that sometimes, I get a smile back & wonder what they are smiling about, lol!

I always put the cart back too, or, if there are no racks nearby, & weather isn't helping, I make sure I leave it in a safe, secure place.

I always hold the door for others, only bothers me when they waltz right through, & don't grab, leaving you to feel like their personal doorman, instead being courteous too, oh well. I try to let others blend in when driving, or go in front of me at the grocery store. One year, we also qualified for a free turkey at Thanksgiving. Being empty nesters, & not wanting turkey around forever, we asked the store manager if they donate them elsewhere. He said no, but made suggestions. Then we shopped. As we were checking out, he came to us, & said, a lady had just come in asking, so our turkey found a much needed home & it made us all happy! Another idea to think about, if you end up with one you don't need! Now hubby is retired & we don't grocery shop often enough to qualify, but I would do it again in a minute!

Love all these ideas, please keep posting them, & I too, need to work on my listening skills with others!...
Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 AM

I got a bag of scraps from a stranger on another board and then made a quilted potholder from some of them and returned it in the mail to her this morning. Just paying it forward and how good that feels!!!!