Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What kind of laundry soap do you use?? >

What kind of laundry soap do you use??

What kind of laundry soap do you use??

Old 10-11-2011, 09:06 AM

I use the homemade laundry soap - contains Fels Naphtha soap, Arm and Hammer washing soda, borax and water. Really like it and very economical.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:44 AM

I've used Tide for almost 46 years. Since I developed asthma I use only fragrance free products HE for the front loading machines. I wonder why people use gabric softener. It coats fabric making towels less absorbant. Back when my children were young and wore the nylon snow suits I used to wash them and toss in a couple cups of fabric softener to make them water repellant. Long snow play time. I do occasionally use Sawyer's Crystal Blue when I hang sheets and towels outside (white is my preference for linens.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by grandma sue
I use the homemade laundry soap - contains Fels Naphtha soap, Arm and Hammer washing soda, borax and water. Really like it and very economical.
Grandma Sue is what my grandkids call my mom!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 PM

we use tide free w/double rinse, and downy free...

also, i get eczema on my elbows only (?) i used the cream vaseline morning & nitetime when i brush my teeth & it has really helped more than the prescriptions ever did.. and was cheaper...
Old 10-11-2011, 01:08 PM

I have eczema and itched for years before I switched to liquid laundry soap. I am allergic to Lavender and several other plants, so I stick to the cheapest liquid I can find at Walmart, and add Oxyclean to every load. Works for me. I also wash every load with the maximum water level.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:10 PM

[a person can use ANY soap..BUT..if your having issues with your clothes making you itch or break out. It is for one reason only, your using to much soap and it is not all coming out. He had me bring in a clean wash cloth my next visit, and did a test.. he was right. So all our clothes get an extra rinse. Problem solved.[/quote]

we ended up getting one of those HE washers, and in the manual it said to use the he detergents cus they don't suds up so much. Also said, if you use too much (more than required per the instructions) it would leave a soap and scum residue in your clothes. I think maybe, regardless of other stuff in soap, if your use too much it just wont rinse out. sharet
Old 10-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Suz

My daughter was here about a month ago, and we made homemade laundry soap using bar Ivory w/Aloe. It was so easy to make. Works well. Smells great and is cheap, cheap, cheap.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Suz
My daughter was here about a month ago, and we made homemade laundry soap using bar Ivory w/Aloe. It was so easy to make. Works well. Smells great and is cheap, cheap, cheap.
Will you share the recipe?
Old 10-11-2011, 01:51 PM

My daughter has/had severe eczema. To get it under control, we had to make a number of changes. We use Shaklee laundry detergent, no fabric softener. She doesn't wear synthetic fibers directly on her skin (just 100% cotton mostly), she bathes with colloidal oatmeal, and is moisturized after.

Eczema is the immune system fighting what it sees as an attack (something trying to get in to the skin) so it is also important not to take things like Cold FX and other known immune boosters while trying to get it under control because you end up boosting the part of the body that is causing the discomfort.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:56 PM

Tide! :D