Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What other hobbies do you have? >

What other hobbies do you have?

What other hobbies do you have?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 AM

Well, looking around studio....hmm. Photography is my number one avocation. (It's what my degree is in, but it doesn't pay too many bills, lol)

I have a bead collecting obsession, and a scrapbooking collecting obsession, and ...well, there's craft paints and floral arranging supplies and polymer clays, and and and and....surprised to find that all the fabric fits!!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 AM

Besides quilting I love to read, mostly murder mystries. Nothing really gruesome though. I also play bass in a local classic country band and in local jam sessions. My husband plays guitar and sings and when I retired it looked like fun and was something we could do together. I started with a mandolyn but decided the group needed a bass and learned to play that. My quilting also started after I retired. I thought I wanted to do tapestry weaving but didn't take to that too well. I needed more help than just a book. I also crochet and have tried tatting. I've added a picture of me and my upright bass. I also have and electric bass.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87322.jpe  
Old 06-17-2010, 09:39 AM

I knit (socks right now), crochet, sew, quilt, cross stitch, did some plastic canvas when that was real popular, bird watch (hummers are fun), read (have over 600 paperbacks), and of course, read this forum!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 AM

I'm what you might call a suburban homesteader so there is a lot of sewing and crafting going on at my house. My passion is quilting, but I also make clothes, do a lot of gardening, canning and preserving, etc. If I can make it homemade, I will.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I have/do dabbled in many crafts, but mainly quilting for now, will give fabric dyeing more time later this summer :D:D:D

OHOH OH....I forgot that one. I have all the powdered dyes and the pdf fabric, a whole roll. I need to get cracking. I have been studying up on it. Here in Florida is boiling how and just perfect for throwing things in the sun to dry and cure.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 AM

I have always done sewing, crafts, scrapbooking, cardmaking (not very good at it) tole painting, (teach once a week, supports my quilting habit) just bought these for my birthday.
Quilting is now my passion.

wood to paint
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87347[/ATTACH]

book pattern is in
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87348[/ATTACH]

sample of the box from the book
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87349[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87342.jpe   attachment-87343.jpe   attachment-87344.jpe  
Old 06-17-2010, 09:56 AM

How wonderful. Dont we have a great life? I can't imagine not doing some sort of fun thing for oneself. I was a professional seamstress for many years and only God remembers how many garments I have sewn. My business was in my home studio, which turned into my painting studio where I taught Folk Art for years after I had enough of the sewing for people lol.

Now I make dolls when the mood strikes and I need to dig a pattern out that my friends want to do ...I won't stop my quilting tho. I can do two crafts. At moment it's quilting during the day and knitting in the early evening.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble
I have always done sewing, crafts, scrapbooking, cardmaking (not very good at it) tole painting, (teach once a week, supports my quilting habit) just bought these for my birthday.
Quilting is now my passion.
Ahhh, I belonged to the NSTDP. I went to many convention where I learned under the masters. Those were fun days. A different state every year. I got rid of most of my books and only kept my Josonja collection, Joyce Howard, Helen Cavin, some Rosemary West and some odds and ends. I sold all on ebay. I have a garage full of wood to paint, you name it, Ihave it....I am a collector lol....
Old 06-17-2010, 10:05 AM

I didn't realize you post a pic here. Here are some wooden beads I have painted and made bracelets....also I took half a wooden pigion egg and painted a pendant, using glitter paints etc. I only work in acrylics.

painted wooden bead bracelet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87359[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-87354.jpe  
Old 06-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Does golf count? That's my first priority.
Then quilting, then making and selling soap
and reading of course!