Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What time do your schools start? >

What time do your schools start?

What time do your schools start?

Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 AM

Yes I think I like our hours too. Can't imagine getting the kids out the door by 8am *yikes*
Old 07-22-2011, 04:45 AM

All schools in the United States must go 180 days/year in order to receive federal funding. In NJ, our schools generally let out toward the end of June and begin just after Labor Day. We have a week at Christmas and a week at Easter off and a few scattered holidays.

Over the summer, the schools are brimming with activities... rented for a plethora of different camps, extended school year (summer school) for students who qualify and all renovations and cleaning takes place. There is a buzz of activities that most don't know occurs.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:59 AM

8am to 3pm second week roughly of September to the 3rd week on June. 11:30 early release every other Wednesday. This is the schedule the little boy I watch is on.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:12 AM

In this province we have to have 195 teaching days...go from 8:30 - 2:30..2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week in March, and 2 days at Easter...start the Tuesday after Labour Day in Sept..and end June 30...
Old 07-22-2011, 06:17 AM

Ours is a year-round school, so 9 weeks on, 3 weeks off (approx.)

Instruction starts at 9:15, but from 8:45 until then, you may drop off and they go directly to their classroom to get settled in. School's out at 3:45. 30 minute lunch.

(and she's a kindergardener...SNIFF!!)
Old 07-22-2011, 07:18 AM

My elem school student day is from 8-2:40. We are in school the 180 days required by IN law. We have Labor Day, 2 days fall break in late Oct., 3 days at Thanksgiving, 2 weeks at Xmas, Pres. Day (unless needed for a snow make-up day), 1 week for spring break, Good Friday (unless the date falls during sp break or needed, otherwise, as a snow make-up day), and Memorial Day. We always start around the 20th of Aug (I think the 19th this year) and are generally finished by the 3rd-ish of June.

IN education law has requirements for daily instructional minutes and for number of days. Schools are not allowed to extend days and 'bank' minutes to lessen the 180 days. I know some corps. are looking at reducing some of the days off and shortening Xmas vacation. Our vacation/days off are very much the same as they were when I was a child in school.

The only big change we have had was recently adding the 3rd day to Thanksgiving vacation. We are off Wed., Thurs., and Fri. and I think every single female teacher absolutely LOVES it! Those who need to be cooking don't feel quite the panic as they have the day off to do that. I use the Weds. to go Xmas shopping because my family celebrates T'giving on Sat. and I generally spend Fri cooking. This way I feel like I have a 'vacation' as well.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:34 AM

My grandson who is in Maine has to be out the door to catch his bus at 6:35am. The poor kid is up and out while it is still dark. He is in junior high. The actual last bell to begin classes isn't until 7:55 but he is one of the first ones picked up and has a long haul till he gets to school. I feel so bad for him. And they get dismissed at 2:10pm.

sandy14
Old 07-22-2011, 04:14 PM

Each state sets their own requirement for how many days the school year is..except MN..in that state.. each school district sets their own number. Wisconsin is 180 days, and they can add minutes to the days to cover for additional snow days. USA students attend less days of school per year then any other country. This information is coming directly from the State of Wisconsin Superintendent's office.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
My dgd will be homeschooled at an online public school this year so she'll not have the travel time to and from. But she is required to "be in school" 6 hrs/day. She still has a "teacher" and her mother is the "learning coach" that she is accountable to them.
When she attended regular school she boarded the bus at 6:55 a.m. and returned home as late as 5:00 p.m. This was straight from school not from child care...Her school time started at 7:45 and ended at 3:00...she also had a bus change... yes it was a school bus not public transportation
Leota, I hope it goes well for your dgd. We use that program. My son is an advanced learner and the local schools seem only to care about the kids who struggle and those who don't speak English. There are days where we don't meet the exact time requirement but we also go to school more days than the average students since there are no no teacher days, snow days, etc.. We even work over the summer!! It's worked well for us!!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:26 AM

They really do spend a whole lot of hours in school, sometimes I feel as if they are hardly mine any more because they hardly spend any time with me. Then again I always remind myself they must socialize in order to grow up and become independent adults Even my oldest one is going to school his summer - Saint Simons vocational school, he says he wants to learn a profession after finishing college, so he will know better what he wants to do.