Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What would you consider a good price for hand quilting lessons? >

What would you consider a good price for hand quilting lessons?

What would you consider a good price for hand quilting lessons?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Cyn

I'm happy to teach anyone for nothing but the fun of seeing someone else enjoy this art! I guess if you are willing to pay for it, good on ya' :)
Old 02-22-2011, 04:52 PM
MTS
Banned

Interesting thread.

So let me (nicely) play the Devil's Advocate for a moment.....

A few of things come instantly to mind:

How many times does someone come on this board and complain that nobody values her work? She's asked to do a 72" square quilt, and is told by "us" to charge double the cost of her supplies. Which would come out to $10/hour or less, barely above minimum wage.

Let's say you were a graphics designer and an expert in Corel Draw. I mean EXPERT, not diddling around in it.
Would you scoff at someone offering one-on-one private lessons for $70/hour?

Did any you at any time ever pay for a math/SAT/Statistics/whatever tutor for your kid while he/she was in elementary, high school or college? Did the tutor charge $10/hour for their experience and skill?

So here's a women who is valuing her time and experience and knowledge, making it comparable to a marketable skill, and you're all scoffing at it.

I'm not saying she's going to get that price. Or that it's reasonable in the Louisville market. Nor do I know anything about her work to say her skills match that rate.

But if I had the opportunity to take a private FMQ class (I don't do hand work) with a Diane Gaudynski or Caryl Bryer Fallert (and I'm not naming them because of their fame but because of their talent/skill), I'd jump at it and think $70 is a bargain.

And, again, the issue isn't if you can spare the cash to do it or not.

Quilt classes can vary from $15 to $100+ depending on the city/shop, caliber of the teachers and marketing skills of the shop owner.

Also, can you remember before you quilted, if there was a before ;)?

I remember spending $200 each on these amazing, gorgeous pillows I bought at ABC in NYC. I thought they were fabulous. Fast forward 10 years - I'm now a quilter - and I have to laugh. They were just home dec fabric scraps sewn together, somethin I could now do with my eyes closed. $10 in fabric TOPS, plus $10 for the pillow insert...bought with a Joann's coupon!

Denyse Schmidt started her career in NY making exactly those kinds of quilt and selling them for thousands. Both she and Amy Butler and an army of others have made major $$$$ by designing and selling .... ...not very complicated designs.

There's a market for everything and everyone.

So I'm going to refrain from snickering at her for the moment.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mimito2
I found this on the Knox Tn Craigs list.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/art/2226594936.html

Am I reading this correctly? $70.00 and hour to teach hand quilting? Gee am I red faced. I teach anyone that will listen for free. :)
I took a 2 hour class at a quilt shop from an instructor that has 30 years experience hand quilting and it was $20.00. that gal is way out of line.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cyn
I'm happy to teach anyone for nothing but the fun of seeing someone else enjoy this art! I guess if you are willing to pay for it, good on ya' :)
I agree with you, Cyn!!! I'd be happy to teach anyone for FREE. It's so rewarding to share this art with others :)