Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

My sister-in-law asked me to sew some garage curtains for her. July 20th, I bought some lining at Joann's, I mentioned that I was short on time. The clerk said "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but I could whip those out for you this evening for $10.00." I dropped the fabric and instructions by her hse that aft'n. (She had 5 children under age 5). Now,it's been acouple wks and she's had excuse after excuse. One was she was out of town for a few days. She no longer answers my emails. I'm tempted to try to contact her at or thru the store. But I really don't want her to lose her job. I could have had them done several x's by now. What would you do? Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Go to the store and confront her about it. That was totally inappropriate for her to solicit your work and then totally ignore you.

Don't hold off. Go today!!

Talk to her at the store. Let her know that if you see no progress you will speak to the store manager. She probably doesn't want to lose her job either.

Blog Entries
    I would go to the store and find her and ask her to give back the material and pattern. If she looses her job, that's really not your problem. She took the risk to ask what she was told there not to do. then she hasn't fulfilled the promise. I hope you didn't prepay her, because you are out the money for sure.

Blog Entries
    I would go to her work and talk to her. If she didn't stand by her promise to have them done in one evening, I wouldn't worry about her job. You wonder how many others she has done this to.

Blog Entries
    I would really go to her at the store, ask for the fabric and patterns and any money back and tell her you WILL report her to the manager if she doesn't get it back to you within whatever reasonable time frame you think. I would make it a only a day or 2, this is way too long already.

I agree with everyone......she deserves to lose her job because she's not followed the rules. You should not be out money because of her!

Since she is not answering your efforts to contact her, a face to face may be the only way to do it. I agree that if it comes to the attention of her employer and she loses her job, that really isn't your responsiblity. She took a risk by telling you she could and would do them for you while at her place of employment. Yes, it would be terrible, but since she is ignoring your efforts, what option is she giving you, but to confront the situation at her job. Good luck, I hope you get it all worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraSue
    I would go to the store and find her and ask her to give back the material and pattern. If she looses her job, that's really not your problem. She took the risk to ask what she was told there not to do. then she hasn't fulfilled the promise. I hope you didn't prepay her, because you are out the money for sure.
    I agree....

Blog Entries
    I would give her one more chance, send an email and let her know the next step will be to visit her at the store, if she doesn't respond back immediately.
    Hopefully she will respond, it would be sad for her to lose her job, it isn't her childrens fault and they would suffer greatly if she did....

Power Poster
    Have you seen her at work?

Possible scenarios:

1) She has had major problems and really wasn't able to be at work or do the curtains.

2) She bit off more than she could chew - and is embarrassed and avoiding you.

3) She scammed you - took your money and fabrics and ran.

I think i would try to rule out #1 before reporting her.

If #1 was not the case, then go for her!

(My DH says I'm a sucker for every sob story and a silly gullible bleeding heart!)

Blog Entries
    5 kids I am surprised she agreed to it at all. Do nothing short of going to the store and confronting her. She took this upon her self during working hours, on company time. I wouldn't hesitate to contact the manager if you do not get satisfaction immediately.

Blog Entries
    I agree with amma. Send the email and tell her when you'll be picking up your fabric and any money at --- on ---. Be sure she knows your next step is to contact the store. If she doesn't answer that one, then do what you need to do for resolution of this.

Get your stuff back and do it yourself and chalk it up as a lesson learned and you won't do that again!

Blog Entries
    oh my, i do hope you get your fabric and lining back. that isn't right of her. I had a plumber try to elicit (sp) cheaper plumbing jobs from me without his company knowing.

bj
    I think I'd go to the store to see if she still works there. If she does, I'd express my regret that she is having a rough time and ask for the fabric and money back. If she balks at the money, I'd consider it a donation to the kids. I'm not a softie, but sometimes life is hard for young families trying to get by. I would give her the benefit of the doubt, but the fabric should be returned no matter what. If she doesn't return the fabric, then you might have to take further steps.

I would go to the store and confront her.

Blog Entries
    I agree with most every one else. I would go to the store and speak to her in person. If I didn't get a resolution, then I would speak to management about it.

I agree with jljack, go to where she works.

Blog Entries
    I agree with everyone-just get the fabric and money (if you paid her) back, or report her to the manager. My guess is she didn't intend to scam you (no one is that stupid if she still works there, knowing you could easily find her). What ever the reason, if it is ligitimate, she should have at least given you the courtesy of a reply to your e-mails and offered an explanation. I hope she still works there! Let us know how it gets resolved!!

I agree with everyone else - go find her at the store. If she has done this to you, she may have done it to others and this practice should be stopped.

Blog Entries
    Are you willing to let it go and forget about it?
    Are you willing to see her in the store and say, "I forgive you."?

If she did it to you, she has probably done it to others as well.
    She might very well be in a desperate situation at home.

The forgiveness might stop the pattern of dishonesty.

Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2
    5 kids I am surprised she agreed to it at all. Do nothing short of going to the store and confronting her. She took this upon her self during working hours, on company time. I wouldn't hesitate to contact the manager if you do not get satisfaction immediately.
    Maybe she doesn't even have five kids????

If she does not give you your stuff back definately go to the store mgr. That is stealing, if she has done it to you, then chances are she has done it to others. If she loses her job, it is nothing you have done.
    Brenda

I'm fairly sure that it was against store policy for her to solicit work from you in the first place. I'd go to the store and confront her. If that doesn't work, speak to her manager. You may save someone else from making the same mistake. In any case, I suspect that you can kiss your curtains and your money goodbye.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast