Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What would you do???

Blog Entries
    It's why I don't subscribe to F & P anymore. I had this happen to me (by another company). They tried to strong arm me into paying or returning. Frankly, I threw the item away, as it wasn't anything I'd use, didn't request it, and so WHY should I pay to return them? There are laws about this type of thing. Not requested? Their loss, not yours.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I had no trouble NOT renewing my subscrition to the F&P mag. In addition to it being boring with so many repeats 90% of the FREE gifts were useless to me.
    There are other, better magazines.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

Ditto to all of the above, I used to love the Fons an Porter magazine but it got so repetitive and not in the world I live in. I only have left one copy, from back when it was "for the love of sewing". I also let all the subscriptions go, as I got tired of storing stacks of mags. I have so many patterns in waiting I am going to have to just hope for reincarnation to get it all done. I am definitely in the use it all up if you can stage of life...
    two simple rules for success
    1. Show up.
    2. Pay attention.
    One simple rule for happiness
    1. Kindness counts.

I received a "surprise" quilting DVD in the mail quite a while back (could be as long as 2 years ago). It is very nice ... lengthy and very informative. However, I did not order it and refused to either pay for it or return it. Every so often I got another "reminder" to pay or return, which only took a second of my time to throw into the trash. I haven't received any reminders in a long time now. I consider their sending me the DVD presumptuous and pushy and this was my way of not letting them get away with it. (As far as I know, it had nothing to do with Fons & Porter.)

I received one of these videos months ago. I totally forgot about it until I ran across it while "cleaning" my sewing room. Maybe one day I'll watch it. A DVD costs pennies to reproduce after it is made. Therefore, paying $15.00 for a video that was unsolicited and as some of you have noted is boring, does not seem fair. Besides, there are all types of instructional videos on YouTube and all over the internet. There are so many patterns on the internet for free. I am assuming (yes, I know what assume does to you and me) that the internet is unbelievable competition for these companies and therefore, they are doing every trick in the book to get us to part with our money. The thing that they fail to understand is that the internet is not free to us, we pay for it. However, I prefer to pay for the internet for several reasons, then to pay for magazines. I get more bang for my buck from the internet.
    Happy sewing and quilting,

Janet

I got the sme deal l few months ago. Sent them an e-mail, telling them I did not request this, and would not go to the trouble of returning it. and that when my subscription expired I was through with the whole thing. I suscribed to their on line quilting show, which was suppose to be free with another subscription. The free show cost me 24.95 and after several phone calls and e-mails, I still have not been able to view any of these shows. Needless to say, they kept my money though.

I'm with you Janet...... I have stacks and stacks of mags....yet, I go to the internet to learn....
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries
    Go to the webpage of the USPS, Unsolicited Merchandise and you will find that you have three choices. 1. If you didn't order it you don't have to pay for it. 2. You may return it but you pay the postage. 3. You may throw it away. When I worked for the USPS, so many elderly citizens felt guilty about keeping it and paid to send it back.

elm
    I received one after I took out a subscription. Ignored it leaving it in a pile of undecided what to do with mail. Then received a demanding note saying that I must return it postmarked by a specific date or pay charges. Returned it with notes all over it to never send me anything else and that I would not subscribe again. Totally turned me off to the company.

I think with the ease of the internet for almost everything, the magazines are having a hard time getting subscriptions. I know I have stopped taking a lot of them as most anything I want I can find online. I have only one subscription now and probably won't renew it either.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

IF YOU DID NOT ORDER IT, YOU NEED NOT PAY FOR IT NOR RESPOND TO THEM, NOR RETURN IT. This is one of many reasons that I did not renew my F & P subscription. Our local (large city newspaper) continued delivering the newspaper after we did not renew, then they turned us over to a collection agency after three months. That agency will no longer take their business
    Last edited by alwayslearning; 06-23-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

IF YOU DID NOT ORDER IT, YOU NEED NOT EITHER PAY FOR IT NOR RESPOND TO THEM. This is one of many reasons that I did not renew my F & P subscription. Our local (large city newspaper) continued delivering the newspaper after we did not renew, then they turned us over to a collection agency after three months. That agency will no longer take their business
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

I got one of those to, I kept them because the law says if you get anything in the mail that you didn"t order you can keep it. I started getting bills from them and I had to tell them to stop sending bills and finally they stopped.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    I got one of those. I kept the video and ignored everything else. Never heard from them again.
    Exactly what I did. They sent it. I didn't order it. I didn't have to return it.

I totally ignored the future mail from them and eventually didn't hear from them again. No effect on credit or otherwise. It's a marketing gamble for them, those cds/dvds are so cheap to reproduce these days that if even 10-15% of recipients pay up, they are ahead of the game.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Unfortunately this isn't new. I can remember a number of years ago several companies would do that and every month or every quarter you'd receive something from them with an automatic invoice. I don't like the ethics of it either.

I've gotten DVD's from Fons and Porter but I think they were part of my signing up for Quilt Club of America.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    I have not renewed any magaazines so many of them are the same old stuff to much advertising and Fons and Porter started putiing a clothes catalog in the center of theirs and didn't want that either if I see a magazine with something
    different I will just pick it up at the store and Joanns has 10% off on thiers and there is plenty of patterns on the internet
    I've started using the 40% coupon at JoAnn's to buy a magazine, if it has something in it that I want. Hobby Lobby allows the 40% coupon off on magazines, too. Win-win!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Is there anyone out there who has contacts with F&P? I think they need to hear this! I don't believe that those 2 women necessarily know what marketing strategies are being used, but since their names are on the magazine, they need to be aware of what is happening to their image. I, too, have let my many magazine subscriptions lapse because of the constant barrage to renew, even when the subscription has just BEEN renewed!
    Create with joy in your heart!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I got one of those too .. and I am not paying for it . .as far as the subscription- its not what I thought it would be for sure .. so when my subscription is up, I am not gonna renew for them .. maybe McCall's or one of the other quilt mags.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

isI ignored it. When a bill came, I sent the bill back with a note that I did not order what they billed me for. That seemed to be the end of it.

this is a "legal" scam and I want nothing to do with the perps.

For a couple of months I kept receiving what looked like a bill for a magazine I do not receive and had never ordered. My DH was going to pay it when I looked closely at the "bill" when I read that it was not a bill, just wanting to know if I wanted to order that particular magazine. Now I just toss it in the trash without even opening it. Arrrgh!@#!

Blog Entries
    I had this happen to me once. I called the PO to verify that I didn't have to return the item then wrote the company a letter and let them know my conversation with the PO. I didn't return the item and never heard from them again. I get tired of companies thinking they can just send you things and then make you pay for them; most people will end up paying instead of sending it back.
    Judy

Blog Entries
    Fons and Porter sold their magazine and product line to a company much like the one that bought out Reader's Digest which specializes in mass marketing and glutting the mailbox with promotions. Just accept the free gift and enjoy it. The company is making a lot of profit on the marketing or it wouldn't be mailing the dvds to thousands at a time.
    Got fabric?

Thanks for letting us know. This has not happened to me.
    ABCDEFG

Blog Entries
    I just received my first 'free' DVD in the mail today that I did not order, nor expect to keep. No, I definitely will not be shipping it back. Trash day is Thursday. It is Secrets for Success Sewing DVD Collection, by National Sewing Circle. All the secrets I need I can get on here. This is $12.95 if I keep it. Further shipments of the collection are at regular price. I don't think all these DVD's going out are going to save the Post Offices from closing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast