What would you think...?

Old 11-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned

I dont like Facebook. My daughter openened an account for me. I dont get it.I seldom go on it. Seems like its a waste of time to me. As for the casket biz,as a child I recall many neighbors had picturs of their departed in their caskets.( I am in Missouri).I think its creepy,I wouldnt do it,but what someone else does makes no difference to me at all. As long as it doesnt affect me its no skin off my nose.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Banned

I say to each his own, really. Death today is alot different than it was back then. We used to have to care for our own dead and it gave us closure in a different way. Now we unlovingly off them to a funeral home where many things can happen.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:17 PM

It certainly not what I would do! I think it is really creepy. Facebook is not one of my favourite things thought!

Hugs
Old 11-26-2010, 04:29 PM

maybe the woman is unsure of herself and looking for attention? or a way to "re-make" herself? Is she newly divorced? looking for shock value? and Faceboo is there, ready and waiting....for her to make some silly mistakes.

If ur uncomfortable, maybe u should talk to her?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:01 PM

I must be strange! I would rather see a picture (which I have seen that my grandparents took)even on Facebook, than to actually watch someone go up to the casket and touch/kiss the dead person. I, personally, would not want to post any on Facebook(or anywhere else) but she must have some reason.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:44 PM
Kas

Sorry. I am from the Heart of Dixie and we never did anything like take a pic of a dead realative in their casket! Let alone put it in an album or on the wall. Nor do I think it has been legal to have a dead person "laid out" in the parlor for quite a while.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 PM

I am a Southerner and I have never seen anything like that. I know when my son passed away in September I didn't want any pictures of his body. I want to remember his smile and his life.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
Originally Posted by watterstide
"From what I understand some of her family was none to happy about it...I just worry about the internet ...it seems to take away common sense sometimes.."

yes, of course it does, people do things now,over the internet that they never would have done..it does get out of hand.

but like i said..it is an old custom..my grandmothers house had "the room" where the dead were kept..at the home, i can not for the life of me remember what that room was called..but it was in the front of the house..

i want to be laid out 1 day, and on my side like i sleep..
funerals are for the living, not the dead... just my opinion and thoughts on the subject..
The room was known as the parlor. It was used only on formal occasions and for wakes/funerals. That we now use it and call it the "living room" is due to a campaign by the Ladies Home Journal starting in 1900.
Glad to know it wasn't the "Keeping Room".
Old 11-26-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Willa
I must be strange! I would rather see a picture (which I have seen that my grandparents took)even on Facebook, than to actually watch someone go up to the casket and touch/kiss the dead person. I, personally, would not want to post any on Facebook(or anywhere else) but she must have some reason.
My husband's aunt wrote a note to his dad and put it in his suit pocket in the casket! Did she really think he'd read it later???
Old 11-26-2010, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Linda1
I am a Southerner and I have never seen anything like that. I know when my son passed away in September I didn't want any pictures of his body. I want to remember his smile and his life.
Sorry about your son. I agree with you.