Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What are you having for Christmas dinner?

Christmas Eve will be tamales and Mexican beans and rice. For dessert it will be three milk cake (tres leche)

Christmas day it will be roasted leg of lamb, baby white beans cooked in the lamb juice gravey, salad and left over tres leche cake with fruit.
    June

Here in south Louisiana, the tradition for our Christmas dinner is Chicken & Sausage Gumbo with Rice as the main dish. We still do Sweet potatoes in the oven, rolls, field peas with pods of okra, green bean casserole and all kinds of desserts. Someone will do a pork roast. We are like everyone else - a bit tired of turkey and dressing.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Christmas Eve will be brisket and egg noodles. This was my mother's recipe and we carry on the tradition. We have it with cole slaw, rolls and applesauce. Christmas day we'll have ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, and fruit salad. Cookies and candy and a huge box of Sees chocolates. See 's started near where my mom lived as a girl.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

We are doing Christmas Eve. Besides the usual appetizers.... Smoked turkey and ham, Scalloped potatoes, fruit, Balsamic Spinach salad, Asian salad, corn bread muffins, glazed carrots, and a couple of Jello concoctions! Dessert will be pie, cookies, ice cream and a cake. Can you tell we like variety? This year on Christmas Day we will drive up to BIL's about an hour away....not sure what's on their menu...bringing some desserts!

Blog Entries
    Christmas Eve - Ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, veggie, rutabaga salad, dill beans and dessert (cookies). ( At my sister in law's home) She makes THE BEST ham gravy in the world.

Christmas Day - Ham, turkey, beef sandwiches on dollar buns, chips, dips, cheese, crackers, Genoa Salami, Shrimp Cocktail, potato salad., baked beans, cookies( Here at home with son and family)

December 27, Here at home - same as above except one sister is bringing rutabaga salad and tapioca with kiwi and pomegranate, other sister is bringing veggies and dip, cookies and wine. (With my sisters and their families)

December 28, Here at Same as all three of the above, just me and the Minnensota Vikings!!!!!!!!! They are leftovers, too!!!!!!

Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

We will be having Christmas on the 26th, but not at our house, so Christmas day menu will probably be beef and homemade noodles or if I don't feel up to that, whatever restaurant is open on that day.

Our family gathers on Christmas Eve for a chili supper and family gift exchange. Christmas day those with children are in their own home, kids like to play with the new items. But, if you want a piece of pie or cake come on over, coffee is always on.

Well lets see: My husband is going to make Smoked Wings, Ham and Sweet Potatoes, Jambalaya with Shrimp and Smoked Sausage, I am making 2 different kinds of Pie, Mixed Veggies, Corn Meal Muffins, Yeast rolls + family is going to bring Cheesy Potatoes and Pie, , Mom is bringing a Red and Green Jello and her Pecan Tarts, haven't heard yet what son# 1 or # 2 is bringing..besides family and appetites...
    and Pickled Beets, homemade Blackberry Jam and Apple butter....
    Friend who can share your laughter and tears are the only ones you need.

Blog Entries
    It all sounds so yummy. This year It will be a small group for Christmas at my house. I was going to grill some steaks but we had that last night. I was thinking of making shrimp. We rarely have that as it is so expensive here in the midwest. Now that all of you guys have me so hungry you need to go back and post the recipes. I would love to know how to make the chicken and sausage gumbo.
    Merry Christmas everyone.

Blog Entries
    Yup, now I am pretty hungry!

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

http://sewextremeseams.blogspot.com/

scandinavian traditions, at our house: lutefisk, lefse, swedish sausage, meatballs, ham (for the cowards), fresh baked rolls, potatoes with white sauce, and the southern sweden tradition of a blistering hot mustard to serve with the fish. there will be herring, pickled beets, cheeses, crackers, cranberries or lingonberries, and a big pot of rice pudding. a little eggnog on the side, and cookies and breads for dessert. smorgasbord!
    Last edited by svenskaflicka1; 12-22-2014 at 07:27 AM.
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    we're having a roast beast and mashed potatoes
    what's for desert, it's up in the air right now.
    makes me grin to see "roast beast"--we've called it that for years. nice to know we're not alone!!
    "life is a banquet, and most poor fools are out there, starving to death!"--"auntie mame"

RJ
    Well, our tradition is untraditional....on Christmas Eve we eat Pizza and goodies---we all wear crazy flannel pajamas (yes the adults too) and we exchange gifts....Christmas day some of our family like to stay home---we have 2 daughters and hubbys with no kids coming over for lasagna..salad..garlic bread...cheesecake for dessert...I make it as easy on me as possible because it is my holiday too!!

We are invited to a friends house for Christmas Eve dinner which will be an Italian dinner with Lasagne and Caesar Salad. Don't know what the dessert will be.

Then on Christmas day, we are invited to another friends house for dinner. I asked her what I can bring, and she said, "nothing. I'm getting take-out from a nice Chinese restaurant if it is open." I've never had Chinese for Christmas dinner, but will this year! Beats cooking!

For New Year's Day, I plan to bake a ham, prepare potato salad, baked beans, and the usual dishes that are supposed to bring good luck: black eyed peas with ham hock, steamed cabbage with bacon and onions in it. If we have guests, I may whip up a Banana Pudding from my Mother's recipe.

I just read several other foods listed to bring good luck in the new year include long noodles, pomegranates, greens, fish, 12 grapes, ring-shaped food (like a donut or bagel), pork, lentils.

Jim and I are having already cooked, already sliced yummy ham. The night before we are having Chinese food. Can hardly stand the wait.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
    Scallops with an orange- soy Demi glacé, spinach- feta cheese mini soufflé bites in puff pastry, spinach salad with pomegranate, Comice pear, pea cons and balsamic dressing, stuffed crown roast, mashed potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, green bean casserole, and butternut squash. You would probably think that I am feeding and army but it's only me and my DH as family is all back East. I love Christmas Dinner. Especially when the house is all decorated.
    Finally-someone who can answer this question. What is Yorkshire pudding?
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    Glad you posted this Madamekelly. We are still so undecided about what to fix. Until yesterday we weren't sure what we were doing for Christmas. My dad just got out of a week stay at the hospital for his heart. Now we can plan but it's all such late notice. I think we are having turkey, gravy, mac & cheese and vegie pizza, so far. That sounds very disconnected, doesn't it? Oh well, as long as there is some food on the table and we are together. At least dad will be there.
    I would eat a bowl of oatmeal for Christmas dinner if I could spend one more with my dad....
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Yorkshire pudding is popover batter baked in the fat from the beef roast. It gets crisp from all the grease. Yum yum!!
    Lori

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Will just be DH and I. T-Bone and baked sweet potatoes, mixed veggies (roasted) and I've made couple banana almond (slivered)breads.

We are having hot turkey sandwiches. The oven decided not to work anymore in the middle of baking the turkey at Thanksgiving so I put it in a big roaster that I had to finish cooking. We had ham for Thanksgiving with the promise of turkey sandwiches for Christmas. It will be a day of people coming and going and hot turkey sandwiches will be great for those who are hungry.

First time this year, we are going to a Chinese Buffet Christmas Eve. Christmas Day we (Husband and I) am having Bsked Roast Beef, Potatoes Green beans and brown and serve rolls. Homemade cinnamon rolls for dessert.
    I am tired of having everyone over for Christmas Eve. Too much work and expense. Grands are getting older have jobs, except for 12 Year Old. Starting a new tradition.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Moved from Missouri to California June2013 have 1 son 2 daughters, all grown and 2 cats
    Blog Entries
    As it is just my daughter and me, we chose Pasta Con Broccoli, fresh salad with artichoke hearts, parmeaseam, red onions , romaine lettuce and hearts of palm. Christmas Eve will be a feast of cold shrimp and cocktail sauce, nuts, dates,candies, crackers, several cheeses, fruit, olives etc.
    it is a very different year for us, usually we are more theTurkey feast! But there have been many changes this year and we decided to go with new traditions. Merry Christmas to all and best wishes in the New Year.
    God Bless

Blog Entries
    We are having baked Ham, Scalloped Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole,Buttered Corn, Applesauce Salad, Christmas Salad--Lettuce and Tomatoes for the Red, Rolls, 8 Minute Cheese Cake, Candy, Birthday Cake, Coffee,. Guess that is about it! Everyone is bringing some of the dinner, so we only furnish the Ham, Cheese Cake and Birthday Cake for the youngest granddaughter. Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

My family stays home all day Christmas. People come and go but dinner is big this year 18 of us! My mother is bringing salad with pecans and dried cranberries, and fresh broccoli. I am making filet mignon, spiral ham, corn casserole, twice baked potatoes with cheddar and bacon, brown sugar carrots and of course, crescent rolls.

For breakfast my kids always ask for cinnamon rolls. I would make homemade but I am working until 11:30pm Christmas Eve and decided the kind in the can will be fine. For lunch I am putting out BBQ chicken wings, deviled eggs and broccoli cheese soup so whoever stops by can have a bite.

I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

Well, Bob Evans will be cooking for us this year! We're having our Christmas tomorrow, the 23rd.....DIL is a nurse and just got off 2 12 hr shifts and is working on Christmas day. She and DS come from about 60 miles away. We're kind of the walking wounded this year...I've been in the hosp 3 times this year, last with a pulmonary embolism and am still trying to get stronger. DIL and SIL both having problems with back, everyone is kind of disabled! 3 of us are getting Bob's Steak Monteray--yummy with portobello mushrooms and monteray cheese on top! Don't know yet what DD and SIL are getting....DIL is making a pumpkin roll for dessert and probably deviled eggs (they've become a family tradition!). There will be lots of candy for dessert---hoping I'll still get the tin of chocolate covered macadamia nuts-another tradition! The thing I'm most excited about is that DS and DIL are bringing their new 6 week old chihuahua puppies....can't wait to cuddle them! They just lost their two large dogs and these babies came just in time! There are no kiddies around now so the puppies will be fun! I wonder how Tinkerbell will react to them! Oh....I'm also going to get an "extra" meal--I think meat loaf, for me for later. I'm just so grateful that we can be together for another year...it looked kind of iffy for a while there.

All your meals and dishes sound so wonderful...I think a Christmas recipe thread is in order!!! It's so fascinating to see the menus from the USA, Canada and England!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast