What are you reading now?

Old 01-31-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Phyl
Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
Originally Posted by RkayD
I am reading...listening to it on CD actually..the Help by Kathryn Stockett . When my book club started this book I wasn't quite thrilled. There were so many others on the list that appealed better to me than this one. But I went to the library to see if they had it...darn it...only on audio. Well..let's get it over with..I said to myself...I was glued to the story before the first disk was over. =)
I just finished The Help. It was a great read.
For anyone who liked THE HELP, read CANE RIVER, an account of a slave family written by the granddaughter (Great granddaughter???) of the first woman slave mentioned.
Latita ------(?) It was so moving.
Another great book.....Double Bind by Chris Bojalian, a GREAT book for a book club discussion. When you finish it, you have to go back because you were really reading a different book than you thought! So cleverly done.
The Man from Bejing is another good read. Thanks for the link. I have jotted down several for continued reading.
I read Cane River. Amazing book!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 PM

I just finished 'How the Irish Saved Civilization' by Cahill. Great! They really did! Now I'm reading 'Ireland' by Frank Delaney. No, I'm not Irish. We're going on a cruise around the British Isles in May.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Originally Posted by sunflower sue
Hey ! I didn't know they were making a movie yet. When I first started reading the Stephanie Plum books, I thought Sandra Bullock would be perfect . Who is playing the part in the movie ?
Katherine Heigl
I cast Sandra Bullock, too. I hope Katherine Heigl can play 'ditsy.' And Queen Latifah as Lula. Who's playing her and Grandma in the movie??
Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 0tis
I read alot - several books a month - lately I have read - The Pillars of the Earth, World without End, Fall of Giants(a new trilogy) all the books are by Ken Follett - excellent writer can't wait to get more.
The Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorite books. In 2009 I visited the Cathedral, Campo del Santiago, that Thomas walked to in Spain - and it was very moving after having read Pillars.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltbeagle
The best book I ever read has got to be The Shell Seekers by Rosemund Pilcher. I just LOVE all of her books! I've also been reading the Outlander series by Diana Galbadon and I'm hooked.
I reread The Shell Seekers every year.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by polly13
Thank you for sharing this one, JudithAnn. I am hoping to learn more about this little known subject.
Originally Posted by JudithAnn
"Look me in the Eye". It is written by a man who has Asbergers Autism. I have a grandson with this and the book really helps to explain what is going on in his mind. The man who wrote it didn't have a diagnosis until he was a grown man and grew up thinking he was seriously flawed.
Temple Grandin has written several books about autism. She is an Asbergers. Clare Danes won an Emmy as TG in a made-for-TV movie about her on HBO last year.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:45 AM

I am so amazed that you/we all read so much, tend to be on this forum so much and we still quilt!! Where do you all find the time to do all this and still keep a house and as for me a full time job on top of it! LOL!!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by JoanneS
Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Originally Posted by sunflower sue
Hey ! I didn't know they were making a movie yet. When I first started reading the Stephanie Plum books, I thought Sandra Bullock would be perfect . Who is playing the part in the movie ?
Katherine Heigl
I cast Sandra Bullock, too. I hope Katherine Heigl can play 'ditsy.' And Queen Latifah as Lula. Who's playing her and Grandma in the movie??
Joanne,

One for the Money Cast:
Katherine Heigl ... Stephanie Plum
Jason O'Mara ... Morelli
Sherri Shepherd ... Lula
Daniel Sunjata ... Ranger
Patrick Fischler ... Vinnie Plum
John Leguizamo ... Jimmy Alpha :roll:
Old 02-01-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I just finished the 'Voyager' series, by Dianna Gabaldon. I laughed, I cried, I shut my eyes. Great Writer.
I read the 'earth's children' series by Jean Auel, more than once.(She was my babysitter when I was a little kid.)
My next book is "Lifting the Veils of Death" written by Sylvia Wadlington (my cousin)
It is the 'Outlander' series by Dianna Gabaldon.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:01 AM

Wow re the Stephanie Plum cast. The only ones I recognize are Katherine Heigl and Debbie Reynolds. I NEVER would have cast either of them, but of course I'll see the movie. I wonder if they'll actually do the steamy scenes.