Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is your city known for? >

What is your city known for?

What is your city known for?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:51 PM

Lincoln, Montana is where they caught the Unabomber. He was hiding in plain site. Probably not plain site as he lived off in the trees on a mountain and you sure could not have told who he was from the sketches of him they had out. Most of us in Lincoln thought he was another weirdo that landed here and stayed for 20 years. I mean really there was million dollar reward out for him. They would have never caught him if it had not been for his brother. We look at new citizens a little different now days.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:07 PM

The Peachtree Road Race every July 4th....50,000+ crazy people run 10K in the heat and humidity that is Atlanta in summer! Also known for hosting the 1996 Summer Olympics. Ditto with the heat/humidity in summer!
Old 06-08-2011, 01:13 PM

Nothing that I'm aware of, but than we're only a little one light town.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Woodstock IL, where the movie Ground Hog Day was filmed. Our historic square is in the movie.

We touch almost everyone's life in one way or another.

We print all the Time magazines, Sports Illustrated, People etc. It makes life interesting. For example, when Michael Jackson died, whole segments of our community had to stop what they were doing and go into work to put out the special editions.

Also we have the largest manufacturer of the sterile water base used in most medical products, especially contact lens solutions. This means in our town is one of the largest man-made sterile aquifers in the world. I have lived here for 25 years and did not know that until 911.

We manufacture alot of the microwaveable individual serving cups. Finally, we have a Claussen pickle factory.

Like I said, my town touches almost everyone in America.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
Bobcaygeon, Ontario (Indian word for " 3 Islands") as town has lots of water around. Where gov started to build the "Trent Canal System" which cuts off 300 miles of boat travel thru the Great Lakes for personal crafts up to 110 ft. Boats are lifted 6 ft.--also close to Worlds Highest Lift Lock.
Bobcaygeon is Lock #32 of 45 --don't want to be long but we go for groceries/restaurants by boating on Pidgeon Lake in good weather with access to 6 other lakes.
Oh, I love Bobcageon! Bigleys! WooHoo! Gonna be in that area next month and can't wait! Pretty, friendly, busy. The locals must hate all of us in the summer.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by merchjag
quilter on the eastern edge-you know Butler?
When my sister and I make the trip from Toronto to the outlet mall at Grove City, we always make a run to Butler to the Target, Lowe's etc.. Very pretty countryside but most of what I have seen is the inside of the stores. There's a small LQS there as well, if I remember correctly.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM

Manassas, VA - 2 civil war battles
Old 06-08-2011, 01:42 PM

What a fun thread and to read all the wonderful things in your cities/towns!!!

Naturally Hawaii is known as the Land of Aloha. Living in Honolulu, we are home to the famous Waikiki, Diamond Head, tourism, the Arizona Memorial, Punchbowl Military Cemetary, beautiful sunsets, awesome rainbows, beautiful beaches and blue oceans. A week's stay is not nearly enough to visit Honolulu and I always recommend at least two weeks unless you want to be on-the-go all the time.

From the Land of Aloha, I bid you "aloha!!!"
Old 06-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Banned

Jonesborough, TN ----

OLDEST TOWN IN TN

And National Story Telling

and home of Quilter's Pantry ---
well someday that will be well known - in the mean time - it's just my longarm/quilting business. :thumbup:
Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 PM

Our very small town is not known for too much actually. In the past few years our claim to fame is Jacoby Ellsbury who is a great player for the Boston Red Sox. He is the "hometown hero" right now. His brother, however, is our family hero because he was a very good friend and rescued our granddaughter out of a frightful situation (frat party, need I say more) during her first week at college. Goooo Spencer!! Spenc and our granddaughter went back to her room, They ate Cheerios and watched a movie. Granddaughter had her fill of Frat parties!