Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What is your favorite quilter's basting gun?

Blog Entries

What is your favorite quilter's basting gun?

I now have a Dritz quilter's basting gun. And I have had it for years. But it has always given me problem. It Jams up easy and I am always having to stop and work on it. Would like to know what your favorite basting gun is and how it works for you? I plan on getting a new one but don't know what really to buy. Would really like your advise!

There really isn't one that I know of. I bought a Dennison when they first came out in '95 but I just end up using it to match socks up before going into the wash. It was a problem with preventing the table from getting scratched. I went back to safety pins which are easier to remove.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

QuilTak, as far as I know only available from their website. Excellent product and someone there to help if you have a problem. Dritz products are usually reliable but their basting gun was more trouble than it was worth. I highly recommend the QuilTak.

I have the QuilTak, you can buy it from Amazon. Their website is the only place I know of to buy more tacks and replacement needles.

Blog Entries
    I tried the Dritz and another brand but don't remember the which, but my issue with them was how big the prong is that punches a hole in the fabric. I have been so happy with glue basting since I tried it, I use nothing else now. I even donated my basting pins to the local soup kitchen that serves a large homeless population. (Did you know that safety pins are worth their weight in gold to homeless people? Neither did I but they use them for patches, broken zippers, making bedrolls, etc. and usually can't spend the money for them. I donate pins every year at Christmas. I like knowing that my donation is a real need.)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Personally I would never ever use a basting gun. We had one for sale at our quilt show booth this last year - left over from several years of shows and finally sold it for almost nothing, along with all the warnings. There are so many other, safer ways to baste your quilts.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC