what is your town like

Old 02-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
I live in a rural suburb of Chicago. Everyone on this Board probably knows exactly what my town looks like because we were the site for the filming of the movie Ground Hog Day.

Population 25K in a county of 300K. We used to be farming economy, then manufacturing, then construction based and now we are unemployment based economy with a good chunk of the employed people commuting over an hour to work like my hubby. It is like a diamond ring that the setting is cracked and tarnished.

No real anything here but within a 45 minute drive I have everything there is.
Which rural suburb are you from? I grew up in Melrose Park (urban suburb) and now live in Braceville (rural tiny town).

My town is quite small .. less than 1000 (and that includes the farms that have this postal code). We have a Casey's (like a 7-11) and that's the ONLY retail business in town. My husband and I call it the "Civic Center" because if you want to know anything that's going on - just ask one of the girls that work there. One Church (I don't know the deomonination), an excellent volunteer fire/paramedic department, and when the big snow hit last week our streets were plowed by 8:30 and the mail was delivered by 9:30. It's very quiet here, little traffic, no sidewalks, very little crime, mostly good neighbors (except for the bi-polar psychopath that lives next door, introduces himself as "Elvis" and doesn't have a vowel in his last name (guess he never paid Vanna)). It's actually an old coal mining town that was originally owned by Peabody. We have an old cemetary that has stones dating back to early 1800's. Oh ... we're also along Route 66.

One of the things I like is that a good amount of neighbors garden so a lot of us share plants. In fact, because my husband and I have a business in the horticultural industry we are responsible for starting a few neighbors get into gardening.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:09 PM

I live in a former logging town, that was fast becoming a ghost town, which has just decided to build the second medical college in the state of Oregon, so it is growing again. There is only one other small town between us and the Cascades mountain range, and it holds the Oregon Country Music Jamboree each summer. ( I got to see Trace Adkins live, a couple summers ago!)
Old 02-06-2011, 11:05 PM

Could the library give you space for a monthly meeting?
I once belonged to a quilters club that met once a month in one...
You could advertise the meetings in the newspaper.
I also have belonged to several different guilds that met in a church on a weekday. Some of the members brought and shared refreshments each month.
One club I once was a member of is still meeting in the cafeteria of the community collge.
You don't need officers at first and every member can bring a project to work on. ...consider making and giving your host a wall quilt to hang up or raffle.
Quilters are different...They usually stick, because it is so enjoyable! jeannie
Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 AM

I've only lived here for ten years but I can tell you a little. It's a small town just west of OKC. so we are close to everything there. It was a mill town I think, there are mill storage units on main street. we are on the old rt 66. It has grown a lot in the ten years I've been here because it is like a bedroom community for people who work in OKC. It has still maintained some of it's small town Charm tho.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:30 PM

We have the distinction of living in the most diverse zip code in the country which is what I like. Every nationality and language you can think of, wonderful neighbors. The worst thing about our city is its traffic because it's shaped like an hourglass with a lake on one side and Puget Sound on the other...no room for more than 1 freeway through town. Luckily, we have lots of shopping which can be reached without getting on the freeway.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:34 PM

2 things come to mind when I think if my several visits there, one, it is an international city and the other the sky seemed low to me. I know that sounds trange, but the tall trees and the low sky, I felt it was a cozy setting. It is one of my favorite places to visit. It is on my list of places I am glad I went to visit.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by LindaJR
2 things come to mind when I think if my several visits there, one, it is an international city and the other the sky seemed low to me. I know that sounds trange, but the tall trees and the low sky, I felt it was a cozy setting. It is one of my favorite places to visit. It is on my list of places I am glad I went to visit.
Ive lived here most of my life but the "low sky" is what gets to me by the end of winter. Lots of people here suffer from seasonable affective disorder from the lack of sun in the winter. Just about the time you think you can't stand it anymore, spring arrives and everybody gives a collective "whew".
Old 02-07-2011, 03:34 PM

Have you read the J A Jance books about a detective in Seattle? One of the books said peopel were getting cranky because they had had too many days in a row with sunshine. I thought that was funny. I have been there 4 times and each time for 2 weeks and it rained 2 days the whole time. I was there in May, Aug, July. I will say when it did rain, it poured.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by LindaJR
Have you read the J A Jance books about a detective in Seattle? One of the books said peopel were getting cranky because they had had too many days in a row with sunshine. I thought that was funny. I have been there 4 times and each time for 2 weeks and it rained 2 days the whole time. I was there in May, Aug, July. I will say when it did rain, it poured.
No, I haven't read those. I do know some people who like the rain, my sister is one who can't take the heat. I say one can never have too much sunshine! I lived in the Bay Area for 3 years when I was in high school and I'm afraid it spoiled me for a sunnier climate. One thing I can say though, we don't get the extremes like other places.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Dee

I live in a small borough. Grocery store, bank, Italian restraunt and a dine and bar. Its an old coal mine town with a lot of history. Our house used to be the the general store. Also held the explosives for the mines. Its 126 years old. Our main street is the town square. We love it here. People are wonderful. We are outsiders but accepted. Everyone is related in some way or other. I'm from a big city, but like the small town, nestled in a valley forrest and mts. No one is in a hurry.