what is your town like

Old 02-06-2011, 02:01 PM

I live in the country- our small town consists of a gas station, grocery store, a restaurant, post office, a newspaper office, a pizza place and a bank - lots of run down housing - but also some very nice homes; residents number about 325 - if everyone and thier animals are home. It is a friendly place and like all small towns, everyone knows everyone else - sort of family-like.

We have our own fire department and ambulance and a good group of volunteers to run it.

Just small town life in a rural community.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:08 PM

I live on the coast of Maine a recreation community. In the winter streets close up by 5. Lots of resturants and antique stores. Ocean 3 miles from our home. Lots of beautiful motels and hotels. Too busy in the summer great in the winter and early spring. Then OMG tourists take right over. Bumper to bumper the rest of the year but we love it. 2 hrs from Boston Ma. Portland 35 min. portsmouth n.h. 25 min.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 PM

our friend lives in Wells, Maine!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:48 PM

Small village but 15 min to Albany with lots of activities still pretty small though compared to NYC.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:00 PM

I have been to many of these towns. Cedar Point is the home town of my college roommate. I have relatives in Springfield OH. Been through Cottonwood many times. We lived in Va Beach when I was a kid. Lombard and Troy of course.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:10 PM

My town, or the town nearest to me, is the home of the new Honda plant. Also, our court house has a tree growing on the tower, so our nickname is Tree City.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:40 PM

I live in a city with 100,000 people and have lived here all my life. It was a wonderful town when I was growing up, didn't have to worry about things that are happening now days. We have two major employers in town so unemployment is low. The only bad thing is the winters, I don't like the snow or the cold, but haven't found a place that I would like to spend my winters at. Will just have to keep going to areas and maybe I will find something!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 05:15 PM

I live in a very small town still a real cowboy town. You can will see cattle being driven down the main street of town or a herd of horses during the summer.We have mountains on both sides lot's of wildlife. We are home to the man who trains the Clydesdale's for Budweiser he also trains and drives the horses for the Wells Fargo commercials and does the black horses for funerals. We're also the home of the drummer for the Dobbies Brothers if you remember the band.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:16 PM

I live 15 minutes from the Mall of America. Hundreds of stores and not 1 sells fabric. I don't go there very often. My home town has about 10,000 people and is a suburb of St. Paul,MN. Nothing special about the town it's small and it's old.
Lots of people related to each other. I have lived here most of my life but still don't feel part of the town. The good thing is we are close to everything. I have 5 quilt shops plus Hancock and Joannes.
Life is good.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:43 PM

We lived south of Boston, Ma (Norwood) and retired to Atlanta, Ga. A bit of culture shock, tho I had lived here before and we knew friends here.

We miss the atmosphere of Boston/Cambridge (very college, artsy, intellectual). We live within walking distance of Emory Univ and you'd never know a college was there. It took till this year to build a real bookstore just off campus. That said there are lots of colleges/universities, etc here.

There are wonderful restaurants of all different varieties, pretty good medical care, a 4 season climate, theaters, music, festivals, plenty of shopping, tho not too many great fabric stores, a reasonable number of quilt shops.

We live in a condo community built 1949 on the register of historic places because it's built like Bauhaus (Square red brick, metal window frames, small porches), but dynamite landscaping and in the spring...it hurts the whole city is so pretty with all the dogwoods and azaleas.

Atlanta is a forested area and when you look down on it from a high rise you mostly see wonderful old trees, tho with the droughts several years ago we have begun to loose some of the old wonderful trees due to stress. However, they have generally been replaced, so I expect that the forest will continue to grow.

We're a couple of hours from mountains and 5 hours from the sea...that we miss, tho we are about an hour from big reservoirs. We're in the foothills of the Appalachins (sp)so the whole area is nicely varied in topography.