what is your town like

Old 02-06-2011, 09:46 AM

CharlotteN.C. has lots of shopping, outlet mall, 1 quilt shoppe near by, Mary Jos 40 minutes away, tons of churches, plenty of place to go out and eat at. So you would say maybe wow has everything,NOT! We don't have people who want to join togather for BBQs or pool opening lunch, caroling at xmas. I was head of the social committee I got 85 people to come out once in the 4 yrs I lived here. Now I'm President of HOA and on community meeting, 12 people show , this is a 157 home community. So Sad.....
So it's not what places you have ,it's the people who like people that really count ,in my opinion
Old 02-06-2011, 10:06 AM

A lot of Ohio is in the same shape. Here in Springfield there is not much left of the Springfield I knew as a child and young adult. I am almost ashamed to be from here anymore. City fathers have made some really bad choices.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by nycquilter
I live in quite the opposite of all of you--I am in the center of "the big Apple," just south of Central Park. I've been in my apt. for 30 years and my neighborhood has seen some huge changes. We went from an area that used to be known as "hell's kitchen" that was essentially deserted after 6 p.m. to one that now, if I'm out on the street at 3 a.m. (dogs need emergency walk) the streets are still hopping! We also have a second home about 2 hours northwest and that town has 482 residents. It's a lovely town and I wish I could be there more often...
My husband grew up on 48th St. between 10th and 11th Ave.
We now live 10 miles south of Portland, OR
Miss "the City" some times but don't miss all the problems that go along with it. Portland is big enough for us now.
We have lived in New York City, suburban NJ, Boston MA, a medium size town in northwestern SC, and now OR.
Not sure where we will go next since we have a son & his family in OR and a daughter and her family in TN. We checked the map and the corner of CO-NE-KS is about 1/2 way, but not sure about living there.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:17 AM

I live in a small town about 350 people but only 7.3 miles from the bigges town. We have a church, school and a bar, and a group of 10 quilters . I was born just 2 miles from where I live.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Our downtown is lame. A few shops left but lots of empty bldgs. WE have bat problems so some places stink to high heavens & we have pigeons too. Some have gotten those Main Street grants & redone their bldgs but not all. There is a grocery store downtown but most everything is on the loop. The C of C & city promote our fall festival & spring Dogwood Festival but the people that go to these are from out of town. If you read the brocheres you think just where is that place. I never go downtown except to courthouse annex & tire store. No reason for anything else. We do have 2 college branches here & that does help. Also a VA clinic. I shop on the loop but usually go out of town 45 miles away for my sewing & quilting needs. Just plain old small town USA. The kids are doing the same thing we did, crusing the Plaza & just hanging out.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:22 AM

I live in San Diego where there is NO lack of anything! The weather is wonderful & the people are also, for the most part. There are quite a few quilt shops within 30 min of my home.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:43 AM

We live in Lombard, IL - the lilac capital of Illinois. As soon as we can swing it - we're going to move to New Mexico - to a small little town 30 miles south of Albuquerque. I can't wait.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:15 AM

Our village was once the home of the Smith Corona typewriter. When the typewriter died everyone thought the village would also, but the old factory was torn down and we now thrive as a bedroom community for nearby universities and cities. The county bus service makes several runs a day for those who commute to work or shop. The local Business Association works very hard to promote our community and our shops are unique to attract customers. We have 4 active churches within the village limits and the schools work very hard to provide activities for our small-town students.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:07 PM

I live in the country between 2 small towns. One in MD and one in PA. One and a half grocery stores between them. Lots of churches, each has a fire station and both are very historic. 10 min from Gettysburg and battlefields. National Fire Academny and Saint Elizabeth Seton shrine is 10 min other way, D C and Baltimore an hour and a half away. Va and WV not too far. Lots of history and beautiful scenery (if you like mountains), 3 hours to the ocean. Almost all shopping is 30-40 min in any direction. Best resturants are in Gettysburg and Frederick MD. Harrisburg about an hour. So I get to live in the country with my goats, pot belly pigs, ducks, chickens and a horse and still get to more traffic and people than I need to be around LOL.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:38 PM

I live in a metropolitan area just across the river from St. Louis, on the Illinois side. Troy, Ill. We are 15 miles from the city.

Troy sits on 3 major interstates so its a trucking community.
We shop, etc., on this side of the river and attend the Cardinal ballgames, opera and other community events in St. Louis. Lots of folks (like I use to) commute to work everyday to St. Louis.
We have the country here and cross the river we have the big city life. The best of 2 worlds.