what is your town like

Old 02-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
A lot of Ohio is in the same shape. Here in Springfield there is not much left of the Springfield I knew as a child and young adult. I am almost ashamed to be from here anymore. City fathers have made some really bad choices.
My dad was from Springfield, and I remember going there when we were young. It seemed he was related to half the town. He had 13 brothers and sisters, and some half-brothers and sisters too. Haven't been there in about 10 years when one of my cousins died. Keep wanting to go back to see some more of our family. Maybe one day.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:04 PM

We live in Orland Park, IL. Population now is about 60,000. When we moved here about 16 years ago, the population was 25,000. Came from Chicago, where I grew up, and this was a shock. We have every store here you could possibly think of. Couldn't even begin to count the restaurants. And only one quilt shop which is in the next town, which I never go to. A few years ago we were ranked as one of the top 50 places to live in the US.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by steelecg
McKinney, Tx, a small town about 30 miles N of Dallas - Lovely area with a small town feel - love it - lots of stores on the square and great restaurants.
OMG!!! My father lives in McKinney...what a small world!!!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:13 PM

I'm pretty blessed living in Wichita, KS. This is a quilters paradise. Lots of shops, huge guild with many small groups, retreats, shop hops, etc. etc.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:17 PM

Grann of 6, Isn't that something, what a small world. My Mom who is 95 now lives in Prescott with my step dad who is 97 and My mom says we lived in Clarkdale AZ which is just up the road by mingus mountains and I was 3 yrs old. that was In 19 44 or 45 and they rented a house there for 35 dollars a month Furnished. Can you believe it. We still have alot of the Indian people here and there is a reservation in Clarkdale. Suzanne
Old 02-06-2011, 07:28 PM

I live outside of Selma, Alabama. Small town, about 14,000. Very rural. Town is pretty historic from both civil war and civil rights movement. Selma boasts ownership of the bridge where King and his followers were beaten, etc during the movement and is the starting place of the march to Montgomery. I live about 5 miles out of town in the woods with the Alabama river going through my backyard. When I retired I built my dream log cabin with a 20 x 20 sewing room where I spend my days. My nearest neighbor is 3 miles away. My neighbors are deer, fox, rabbits, birds, etc. and the occasional alligator in the river.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:32 PM

grannypat7925, hi I am from Ohio/ Massillion , Canton area and it is a very depressed area. Since the steel mills closed. I took the greyhound bus from Phoenix AZ to Ohio 44 yrs ago and the bus always stopped in Springfield Ohio. i remember that. Did you ever look up how many Springfields there are in the US, Lots. Suzanne
Old 02-06-2011, 07:33 PM

grannypat7925, hi I am from Ohio/ Massillion , Canton area and it is a very depressed area. Since the steel mills closed. I took the greyhound bus from Phoenix AZ to Ohio 44 yrs ago and the bus always stopped in Springfield Ohio. i remember that. Did you ever look up how many Springfields there are in the US, Lots. Suzanne, by the way- the bus took a total of 50 hours to get there. I had two little girls with me and they were 5 and 6 yrs old.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 PM

We have one general store,a library,and townhall no sidewalks 2 inn's or bars what every they are called no church had one by closed. we are 14 miles from any fast food place and 35 miles from a large town we do have a post office. But everyone is nice and will help in a minute.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 PM

Our little town is now pretty much a ghost town. We used to be the largest lumber shipping port in the world. The logging went away, the dairy farmers are mostly gone, the lumber mills are closed, etc...kids graduating have to move elsewhere to find work as most jobs left are minimum wage jobs that can't support a family. Is really sad.