Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's growing in my garden... ewww, yuck! >

What's growing in my garden... ewww, yuck!

What's growing in my garden... ewww, yuck!

Old 06-12-2011, 09:01 AM

my friends use the bottle of beer theory.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 AM

I think I've tried all but the coffee-no doze. Last year they were so bad that when you walked through the hostas they stuck to my jeans. After there was nearly nothing left of the hostas I got desperate and mixed ammonia, dish soap and water, sprayed everything I could with the mix. I figured it could do no more harm that what was already done. This year they came back great and so far no more slugs. I will try the coffee, no doze if I see them this year. Seems to much easier and less bad smell. Beer does work but my dog loves it so I have to cover it up so she does not get into it. Good luck in getting rid of them.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 AM

Looks like a bumper crop!!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier
I think I've tried all but the coffee-no doze. Last year they were so bad that when you walked through the hostas they stuck to my jeans. After there was nearly nothing left of the hostas I got desperate and mixed ammonia, dish soap and water, sprayed everything I could with the mix. I figured it could do no more harm that what was already done. This year they came back great and so far no more slugs. I will try the coffee, no doze if I see them this year. Seems to much easier and less bad smell. Beer does work but my dog loves it so I have to cover it up so she does not get into it. Good luck in getting rid of them.
Did ths ammonia mixture work? And did you spray the ground or the plants?
What proportions of ammonia, soap and water do you mix up?
Old 06-12-2011, 09:33 AM

The beer suggestion is what I was going to give you. Good luck!
Old 06-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mona Marie
Originally Posted by cherrio
salt on the slugs will kill em. don't know about snails other than crackled eggshells around your plants, it cuts em up so they can't cross em
You will need to watch how much salt you use as it will kill the ground also
How much salt does it take to kill the ground?
Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 AM

yes it worked! The leaves looked pretty burned but they were already a real mess. If I remember right I had a 2 gal sprayer in which I put 1 cup ammonia, 1 cup dish soap and filled with water. I sprayed the ground and everyting i could get to on the plants, right down into the whorl of the leaves. I did all the plants over 200 I figured I was going to have to destroy them anyway so had little to lose. If you are worried just do a couple of the ones you feel you can afford to lose. good luck
Old 06-12-2011, 10:29 AM

put a pan of beer out and the snails and slugs will go in and drown - I usually use a disposable tin pie plate and throw the whole mess away and then start again with more beer and a new pan. Good luck - they are miserable- had more in Seattle than I could count!!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:49 AM

Don't waste beer like that! LOL
Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Here are a few suggestions I found in a book I have - "1001 All-Natural Secrets to a Pest-free Property":

*Steep crushed garlic cloves in a solution of 3 tablespoons Ivory liquid dish soap or Dawn Liquid dish soap and 2 cups boiling water. Strain & place in spray bottle. Spray over plants; repeat after rainfall.

*Sprinkle dry cornmeal around base of plants - bugs will eat it & not survive

* Mix 1/2 cup salt with 1 cup all-purpose flour. PLace in jar with perforated lid or small burlap sack. Sprinkle powder over the plants early in morning when dew is still on the plants.

*Pour beer in a tin pie plate near the plants - slugs will drink it & not survive.

*Different pest - I mix Tobasco sauce, turmeric, dish soap & water, strain well (turmeric can plug spout) and put in spray bottle. I spray my flowers to keep deer from chewing up all the blossoms.

I'm not in favor of killing all garden pests, but some would kill all the food I put up from the garden if we didn't practice common sense about getting rid of the garden-destroyers.