Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits?  Why? >

What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits? Why?

What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits? Why?

Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
If someone is coming to see my house, they just as well stay home...
I'm with you, I clean the bedrooms before people come over to stay and I keep the door closed so the dog doesn't go into the rooms.

Other than that our house is just that a house, it's not always going to be tidy. But if your coming to visit me your coming to visit not to see how clean the house is.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:55 PM

I don't clean my house for my friends, but I always try to have a clean bathroom with clean towels and a clean kitchen. My living room looks like people live here. I can't ever get my DH to pick up so I just try to keep it neat. The dog my DH said would not shed, leaves hair all over the floor in the living room and if it is okay with him, its okay with me. I do clean the house about once a week, but that is about all.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:21 PM

bathroom,,, I like using a clean bathroom don't you lol!!!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
I don't spend a lot of effort on cleaning and my friends know it. I always keep the fridge and sink clean and the bathroom. If the tables are dusty or bunnies under the furniture or a spider takes up residence in the celing corner, I don't care!
I actually had a spider living in the window casing in my kitchen for several years, lol. Now, I hate spiders, but I hate killing anything unless it theatens me. I tried to catch this spider, but she was quick (I knew it was a she cus of her size) found out spiders only need to eat maybe 5 X in their life, so I'd catch her flies that got in the kitchen (hate flies more than spiders) and throw them in her web (I took down her web once, next day it was back - never bothered her again). I finally caught her out eating a fly and she was too far from the casing to run back in her hole. But her in the flowers at the back steps.

I try to sweep the kitchen floor and vac for people but basically, when people say "her house is so clean you could eat off her floors?" well, you do that at your own risk here - who wants to eat off a floor anyway, I have perfectly fine plates. I'm happy when my floor doesnt sound crispy when I walk across it.

(one thing I do do is keep up w/ the dishes. I cannot stand to have dirty dishes sitting around, dont know why, but at least my kitchen is usually picked up and I can have people in there having cookies and coffee / tea.) sharet
Old 09-27-2011, 02:31 PM

BATHROOM ALWAYS! I can't stand a yucky bathroom and I'd be embarrassed to have a guest go into a less than clean one at my house.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:38 PM

My dear Mom used to say if you come to see my house, you can leave, if you come to visit with me, then sit down. Don't do anything special, but house usually isn't too big a mess.HeHe
Old 09-27-2011, 02:42 PM

My house is LIVED IN by me and the cat,
if they don't like they don't have to
come back.
J J
Old 09-27-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
These days I don't bother all too much making anything different than what it is everyday. I don't live in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine spread. We live in our home - all the rooms. And given that, if you stop by, you might find dishes in the sink or a mess someplace. I use to be more concerned. But now, life is too short. I guess if I were planning a gathering, I'd make sure the downstairs bathroom and kitchen are picked up and clean. I want my company to be comfortable. But day/day friends, shoot, you get what you get. LOL
well said. :)
Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Once upon a time in a land far away, I used to clean house before company came over. But these people would usually stay all day, their kids ran all over the place and spilled koolaid all over the kitchen. The house would be a mess. Then a great change happened. I got tired of cleaning before and after. So I stopped cleaning before they came and cleaned after they left. It worked out so much better, my house stayed clean longer.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:18 PM

I clean the bathroom. If they got to go, they will have to much time to look at everything in that room.