Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits?  Why? >

What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits? Why?

What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits? Why?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:05 PM

As the saying goes:

"If you come to see me...come anytime. If you come to see my house make an appointment."
Old 09-27-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
The bathroom. I have boys who cannot aim to save their lives. The lil twerps.
i eventually told oldest ds when he was 5-6ish, i don't pee on the seat, your sister doesn't pee on the seat...

if you must pee on the seat, you get to clean the bathroom...boys cleaned the bathroom for about 15 years ...
Old 09-27-2011, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
These days I don't bother all too much making anything different than what it is everyday. I don't live in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine spread. We live in our home - all the rooms. And given that, if you stop by, you might find dishes in the sink or a mess someplace. I use to be more concerned. But now, life is too short. I guess if I were planning a gathering, I'd make sure the downstairs bathroom and kitchen are picked up and clean. I want my company to be comfortable. But day/day friends, shoot, you get what you get. LOL
right on
Old 09-27-2011, 05:23 PM

My mom always tells me that she is not coming to see my house she is coming to see us and not to worry about cleaning. I still make sure that I have a clean bathroom.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM

the bathroom. i've got to scrub out that infernal throne at least twice a week, and more often when it's hot outside. there's always going to be clutter in the house. it's where we LIVE, for heaven's sake. where there's activity, there's clutter. and fabric. and yarn. and books.

but the bathroom has to be clean...(been working in hospitals waaaaaay too long!)
Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 PM

The guest bathroom and the kitchen. When my Mom was still alive, I always cleaned the frige before she came as I knew that would be the first thing she would notice if I had any "science experiments" lurking in there....
Old 09-27-2011, 08:57 PM

Had a great time reading this one. I always say it is nice to have someone over for dinner, then I will be motivated to pick up. My quilting is all over - I sew in the kitchen, and fabric often ends up on the dining room table. If I know I am having someone over, I either put it all away, or stack it neatly. We have a dog and a cat that have their toys all over the house - worse than having a toddler running around.. But they are our family now that the kids are grown, so I sometimes think to my self, Murphy why don't you put your toys away in your toy basket, Seamus your cat toys are little, but not fun to step on.

Kitchen dishes and sink are clean. I wish I could say the same about the floor, being older, that is the harder place to keep clean. Same with the bathroom, it looks clean, but does take more effort than it use to.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by dljennings
Originally Posted by Peckish
The bathroom. I have boys who cannot aim to save their lives. The lil twerps.
i eventually told oldest ds when he was 5-6ish, i don't pee on the seat, your sister doesn't pee on the seat...

if you must pee on the seat, you get to clean the bathroom...boys cleaned the bathroom for about 15 years ...
Yep! My 17 year old has finally learned to aim, but my 10 yr old cleans it at least twice a day! I spray the floors/walls 3-4 times a week with bleach and wipe down. I don't want to know how it gets on the walls. :roll:

The master bath is a different story, it's usually clean. However, one morning I was in the shower, and DH sleepily stumbled in and started doing his business with no hands. Then he sneezed. He got to clean the ENTIRE bathroom that day!

My fantasy bathroom has concrete from the chest down and a big center drain in the middle of the floor. That way I'd be able spray bleach everywhere, scrub it, and hose it off.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:42 AM

IHATE DUSTING When my friends come round and if the room needs the once over I tell them .I" dont mind you seeing the dust just dont write your name in it .. "one friend said "I will write I had a great time here to day ". I said she was welcome any time !!!!!
lifes to short to worry over things like that .
Love to see the house dust free but if it is`nt welllllllllllllll.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:45 AM

I always straighten up the guest bathroom and the kitchen, Everything else is pretty neat. Just a little dust and some sand.