Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Whats your favorite type of Apple? >

Whats your favorite type of Apple?

Whats your favorite type of Apple?

Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 AM

When we lived in Syracuse I loved the Empire apples. Can't get them here so now it is the Pink Lady's that we all love.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 AM

Your pie sounds fabulous. I would love the recipe. I don't think we have Haralson's in our neck of the woods. What other apple would you recommend?
Originally Posted by Edie
First off, the Honey Crisp was designed in Minnesota. We used to eat them years ago when they were just a number. Got them from an orchard not far from Hastings, Minnesota.

Anyhow, my favorite apple is a Haralson. It makes the best pies in the world, bar none. I, excuse me, please, make the best darn apple pie in the world (about the only thing I can do really good) and I only make an apple pie when the Haralsons are out. They come ripe around the middle of September and go through November. I have never frozen them, don't think I would ever attempt it because I don't know how the apples would turn out in the pie. I make a flour and milk gravy in the pie. The apples stay semi firm, so you can see the slices of apples, not all mooshy. It is a good apple with just a hint of tart in the pie. I have already made two and when I go shopping on Friday will get two bags. I make a deep dish with 1/2 peck of apples in each pie. Last week each pie had over 20 apples in it. It is chock full of apples and then that gravy in the pie just makes it so good and serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, preferable New York Vanilla.

Oh yah, I paint the top crust with milk and sprinkle gobs of sugar on top.

I'll write out the recipe if anyone wants it. It came from the Family Circle magazine in 1964. Make the same pie for the last 47 years. You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Edie
Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by S D G
Gala- sweet, juicey and crisp. YUMMY!!!!
Mine too & Granny Smith
Old 10-19-2011, 07:06 AM

Snowsweet
Old 10-19-2011, 07:42 AM

I thank you all for the request for my Apple Pie! Here goes:

In a small bowl - 3/4C granulated sugar
1/4C firmly packed brown sugar
2T flour
1/2t cinnamon
1/4t ground nutmeg (fresh ground, if possible)
1/8t salt
Mix together

The recipe calls for six cups of pared tart apples (about 2 pounds, I use a whole bag of apples (1/2 peck - those bags of apples you buy in the store (paper bags with the handle!)
I would say I use six to eight cups of apples - I use a deep dish pie plate)

Peel your apples and slice them - not too thin - they get mooshy, you want to know you are eating an apple pie.

Whatever is your choice - either make a double crust recipe or buy a roll of pie crust, Pillsbury or Roundy's (I prefer Roundy's).

Place your bottom crust down. Then take 1/3 of the apples, place them in the pie plate, then 1/3 of the dry mix, then 1/3 of the apples, 1/3 of the dry mix, 1/3 of the apples, 1/3 of the dry mix. Good so far!!!!!

Then you pour a little less than 1/4C milk or cream (your preference - I use milk) down the center, and cut up 3T butter or margarine, (I use buddah). Place it on top of the apples.

Put your top crust on, pinch it down, cut the excess off, and then put a few holes in the top, paint the top with milk, sprinkle generously sugar over the top.

Make your aluminum band to go around the crust edge of the pie. I use one long piece of foil, cut in half, folded together to make it longer, fold in half to make it stronger, place it around the edge, bend it in a little so it doesn't come off. Put it on an old pizza pan or something because it does run a little.

You bake it for one hour at 400 degrees until nice and brown, put in on a rack so the bottom cools and makes that nice gravy.

Good luck to all of you. Honestly, my mouth is watering and I don't go to the store until Friday!

Have fun! Edie
Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 AM

It looks wonderful and I am not a pie maker. I will have to bake one with some of the apples I bought at Apple Hill yesterday. Thank you so much for sharing. This can be dinner and dessert for me.
Originally Posted by Edie
I thank you all for the request for my Apple Pie! Here goes:

In a small bowl - 3/4C granulated sugar
1/4C firmly packed brown sugar
2T flour
1/2t cinnamon
1/4t ground nutmeg (fresh ground, if possible)
1/8t salt
Mix together

The recipe calls for six cups of pared tart apples (about 2 pounds, I use a whole bag of apples (1/2 peck - those bags of apples you buy in the store (paper bags with the handle!)
I would say I use six to eight cups of apples - I use a deep dish pie plate)

Peel your apples and slice them - not too thin - they get mooshy, you want to know you are eating an apple pie.

Whatever is your choice - either make a double crust recipe or buy a roll of pie crust, Pillsbury or Roundy's (I prefer Roundy's).

Place your bottom crust down. Then take 1/3 of the apples, place them in the pie plate, then 1/3 of the dry mix, then 1/3 of the apples, 1/3 of the dry mix, 1/3 of the apples, 1/3 of the dry mix. Good so far!!!!!

Then you pour a little less than 1/4C milk or cream (your preference - I use milk) down the center, and cut up 3T butter or margarine, (I use buddah). Place it on top of the apples.

Put your top crust on, pinch it down, cut the excess off, and then put a few holes in the top, paint the top with milk, sprinkle generously sugar over the top.

Make your aluminum band to go around the crust edge of the pie. I use one long piece of foil, cut in half, folded together to make it longer, fold in half to make it stronger, place it around the edge, bend it in a little so it doesn't come off. Put it on an old pizza pan or something because it does run a little.

You bake it for one hour at 400 degrees until nice and brown, put in on a rack so the bottom cools and makes that nice gravy.

Good luck to all of you. Honestly, my mouth is watering and I don't go to the store until Friday!

Have fun! Edie
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 AM

Rome.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Fuji - definitely Fuji!!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:26 AM

BANANA APPLES! We used to eat those all the time growing up. Unfortuately you can't get them any more especially in Texas.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Honeycrisp - but why are they so expensive? Aren't all the trees growing in the ground with the same sun, rain, etc.?