What's your silver lining?

Old 12-25-2020, 06:48 AM

My life didn't change much at all since I am pretty much a home body. To the doctor or grocery pick up is about all I do. The biggest change is around the holidays not seeing my grand kids. There was nothing to really get rid of. My silver lining I suppose is that I am still alive to write this post.
Old 12-25-2020, 07:46 AM

Great post Kara...
my word at the beginning of 2020 (before Covid happened) was “mindful” and given this year’s circumstances, there was plenty of opportunities to practice mindfulness and enjoy the beautiful nature which surrounds us here in Maine. I explored some great new hiking places.

I think my word for 2021 will be “appreciative”, I certainly have a lot to be thankful for and I’m hoping to do more for others in the coming year by volunteering and getting more involved in my community.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:32 AM

My silver lining has been a renewed appreciation of just how lucky and fortunate my life situation is. This pandemic has not affected my family financially. We have stayed home, and pretty much carried on. What we have done though, is become acutely aware of what has happened to others. We have been able to support two different families going through difficult medical times. We changed up our holiday gift giving by making donations to local organizations and food shelves. There are so many needs to be met!
Old 12-25-2020, 11:24 AM
Power Poster

My silver lining is I learned to relax. My sewing has improved and I have finished many of my ufo's. Time is spent doing what I want to do not what others want. I miss going out to lunch with friends but we keep in touch. We had to find a new way to celebrate Christmas. I always wanted to make homemade gifts but never had the time. This year I did and it made me feel good.
Old 12-25-2020, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
My sliver lining is a new realization that I have an abundance of all I need. Although, I am not spending time with friends and family in the "normal" way, we have been redirected to look at what is important in our friendships and to deepen them. Lastly, I have learned to enjoy quiet and peace. I allow myself time to watch out the window to see nature, birds and changing seasons. God created a world that is beautiful and I am happy in it and in His service.
Just lovely...
Old 12-25-2020, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Not sure I had a silver lining. Not much changed for us. We have been retired for five years and spent a lot of time at home.

I don't think things will change much in 2021.
Old 12-25-2020, 03:40 PM

My silver lining is that my husband stopped needing to do business travel across the country one week a month. It is nice to have him home more. (I also very thankful that we moved into a larger house 18 months ago - it is good that the family is not all on top of each other - everyone is well spaced out within the house, so we aren't interfering with each other's Zoom calls and such.)
Old 12-25-2020, 04:55 PM

My silver lining is that despite a number of "speed bumps" this past year with husband's health, house "stuff" and the darn pandemics, we have all stayed safe and employed. So we feel blessed. I also quit my part time job (split shift water wellness classes) and as soon as it's safe, we will do more of the travel we'd planned but for more distant future. It's also helped me to focus what is really important to me.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:30 PM

My silver lining is that my home was completed and we were moved in one month before the pandemic launched aggressively in US. I’m so grateful that our mothers have remained safe and healthy...tho...we miss them so so much. And, staying home and on-line shopping, when needed, provided everything we needed....which, really isn’t much when all is said and done. Total re-evaluation on what our needs really are. Even though we have limited contact, I was able to meet my new community and assist with grief counseling at the one and only high school here....mostly zoom sessions. That is so rewarding cuz I have missed counseling. Now, the kids say hi and wave when I see them about town. I love to hear”Hey Miss Teen!!” shouted down the aisles. Finally, I spent time landscaping and sewing and....decorating my new home. So much fun...

Last edited by Teen; 12-25-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-25-2020, 06:25 PM

I am sure there are silver linings as I am healthy, employed, have family close. But not a ton of things changed for me.. I do have limited social contact but since our industry is considered essential there has been no real down time. Hate to admit I have not cleaned my closets or gone all Konmarie in my home. I feel as stressed as ever 🙁
Praying that the New Year brings my contentment. My words for 2021 will be contentment and gratitude. I think I will put them on a pillow or a wall hanging to help me remember them every day...

I hope that everyone had a wonderful day today. Merry Christmas to you all. I do so appreciate this board!