Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When do you decorate for Christmas? >

When do you decorate for Christmas?

When do you decorate for Christmas?

Old 11-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

I decide year by year, but this year I will be decorating after Thanksgiving. I have things to do before Thanksgiving this year to get together with my family.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:02 PM

I decorate by the tenth of Dec. This year I won't put lights on the house, I bought one of those led lights that have colors and a remote to change the design. It is one light you put in ground.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Power Poster

I haven't decorated for years. Kids are grown and all but youngest Grandson. At 15-1/2 years his parents still decorate their home for him.

I did when kids were young decorated Dec. 15th took down Jan. 1st. When grands were younger and I worked full time I decorated Friday after Thanksgiving and took down day after Christmas. Some grands lived out of state and had to leave.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:35 AM

We decorate inside mid-Dec. and leave up until after Jan. 6. Whatever weekend usually after that is when we 'undecorate'. Outside lights have been on the house for years. Don't turn them on, however, until inside is decorated and turn them off when we 'undecorate'.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:36 AM

This year none of our entwined families are coming to our house for Christmas, it will just be my husband and myself. We'll put up a small tree about two weeks before Christmas and that's about it.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:55 AM

I'm all about Thanksgiving until the day is over. Then fall comes down and Christmas goes up. I refuse to lose Thanksgiving to Christmas. They are both important to me and each in their own time. We all have own ways, keeps life interesting.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:20 AM

we decorate the day after thanksgiving
Old 11-20-2017, 05:24 AM

I like to enjoy each event for itself......Christmas deco probably first week of December. Stay up til epiphany......
Old 11-20-2017, 05:28 AM

If my DH didn't insist, we would not decorate at all. I love the look (and if I could have this as my year round decorating motif, I'd leave it up always) but I seem to always get stuck with putting it all away. I hate the decorating and undecorating part so much, I would rather not bother. We have so much that we put up in our home and it's beautiful when done....but I would prefer not to have it up because of the effort it takes. As I get older, it's much more difficult. My 27 yr old DD is back with us for a couple of years. She and I got all the stuff out yesterday and started sorting and "placing things in the room that they will go in - not put up - just sorted. It took everything out of me. We started earlier this year so it can be done by Sunday after Thanksgiving. I can't really enjoy the holidays until this "CHORE" is behind me. One year, I left everything up until Valentine's Day! I wanted to see if anyone else in my house would get the hint and take it down........alas.....I did it myself. I know I am an enabler.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:34 AM

I decorate after Thanksgiving is over, usually the second day after Thanksgiving post Black Friday. I am decorating two homes this year as we are keeping our cottage open all winter. I bought a 6’ lighted tree at a thrift store and it comes to the cottage. Looking for a lighted 7-8 foot tree on sale for our home. DH will put the few lighted trees in the yard this week but no lighting them until Thanksgiving is over. I’m giving so much away this year, I will only keep half of what I have. I have way too much and I prefer less now.