Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When does one become "elderly"? >

When does one become "elderly"?

When does one become "elderly"?

Old 07-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grandma nurse View Post
I never felt elderly until I couldnt get around. I kept my hair dyed light brown and decided to let it go gray. With my skin coloring I look bad. Then add a hunched over walk! When I looked in the mirror it was frighting. I couldn't take it especially because I always looked younger then my age. 70 hit me hard, messed with my mind a bunch. Plus hurting in my back brought on depression. It sure hasn't been easy. I did recolor my hair but it just isn't the same anymore. I hate to be out and about because of the pain and using a walker. Maybe I have to much pride but I can't imagine what I will be like in another 6 months let alone another year. I have no energy and only want to stay in the house and play in my sewing room. I think I look and feel elderly at 71 and that is to young to feel this way.
Grandma Nurse, is there nothing to be done about the pain in your back? Have you been to a pain management clinic? They have lots of new techniques and treatments that do not include just popping pain killers... worth looking into. It may change your life!
Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 AM

I am 72, probably look a lot younger....thanks to the genes! I try to make a point of standing straight, I work my tail off everyday. Our daughter is a full time masters student with twins (6) yrs, who all live with us. I am essentially a mother again with all the jobs that come with it. It was easier 40 years ago. But I do it, I volunteer at church and library, I sometimes work in the children's classroom. I think when we take to napping in the chair all afternoon with our mouths open, and shlep around like it is too much trouble to go from a to b. Then we get old! I will be old when all this happens. When I can't use my bow flex and exercise machines, I will be old. I know it will happen, but I plan on fighting every step until old. I just pray I get to keep my mind! I am so lucky, I am healthy. Chronic health issues send many people to old age way before they should be there. So I guess our biggest blessing is health.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:15 AM

Well my mom always said she wouldn't be elderly until she reached 90. When I call her on her 90th birthday, she said "I finally made it. Now I officially old" She retired from work last Dec at the age of 93 because she decided that she had "worked enough years and now it's time to have fun". I hope I'm like her.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by vwhit24 View Post
Hi all you spring chickens. I am 93 today, still kicking but not so high. I have good days, and bad....but don't we all? Actually I am packing to go to the mountains for a wk.'s vacation.....I won't do any trudging through the hills, but will encourage my son and his wife to go for it! They love to walk in the mountains, and on the beach as well. I have had to put that kind of activity at rest, tho there are many my age who still do quite a bit of physical activity...remember that Geo. Bush jumped out of that plane (ugh) a couple years ago? Anyhow, forget the numbers and just enjoy life.....the word "elderly" is for the birds. At my age they call us the "frail elderly". Isn't that a hoot? But, sometimes I feel like it.....and sometimes I am 16 again.
Happy Birthday!
Old 07-27-2017, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
When do you describe yourself - or someone else - as "elderlyy"?
Oh...I dunnno about that...I tell people that I live in an "old woman's garden" and I don't mind the old part at all. I just own it.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

I've noticed many of the guild members I consider elderly are the ones that seem not to grasp exactly what is going on. They are just there and not involved. Most people think the more frail an older person is the more elderly they are.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:15 AM

I agree that frailty is an important factor, as is attitude. I turned 70 this year, and my internal self was amazed at "that BIG number"! I think my inner child thought that I would be my grandmother, or my mom at this age, and has been so surprised that I am still my same old self!! WHEW what a relief that is! I still love movement and quilting and eating. And I feel blessed in so many ways. Sending love to you all - young and old!
Old 07-27-2017, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

I am in my sixties, I consider myself old because I am not young, but not elderly. To me elderly is moving into a stage of frailty and need of assistance but the mind can still be sharp. We cannot control that our bodies wear out but we can help keep it fit for as long as possible.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:59 PM

I will be 73 next month along with several of you here. We are not elderly UNTIL and IF we say so. Nobody else gets to call the shots. We will know when that time comes.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:30 PM

I am 81 and did not look my age until I had to wear a bipap machine at night. That has aged me 20 years (puffy eyes, sagging skin, messy hair).