Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
when i take out my rotary cutter >

when i take out my rotary cutter

when i take out my rotary cutter

Old 09-11-2012, 02:41 PM

I just came across a pic of my cat Moxie in her box at the end of my work table. She was apparently helping me quilt or at least there to supervise the cutting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]362117[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails boxy-moxy.jpg  
Old 09-11-2012, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

I share my sewing room with my four cats, they are closed in there at night and while we work. They are happy to get out when we come home in the evening so they leave me alone. When they think it is time for bed ( they read the sun, not a clock) they start coming in, I run them out and bawl them out. I remind them lots of times the room is mine and I share with them.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 PM

put her in another room
Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 AM

Miss Bess loves for me to quilt - she knows the difference in what I do. For example, when I am binding, she lays and falls asleep on a quarter of the quilt that is on the floor. And it generally is her deepest sleep or else she is totally faking me out!

When I start the sewing machine, she comes and sits by my side at the machine and talks to me - I mean she talks to me!!!!!!! Won't shut up. I let her out thinking that is what she is saying. She barks - she wants in. Then I sit down and start sewing again. There she is sitting right by my side talking up a storm. No bark, no whine, just talking her little fool head off!!!!!! Unfortunately for her, I don't understand a darn thing she is saying, but I just say "Oh really?" "You don't tell me." "She got it and she picked it up and ate it?" "Gross, Bess, gross." And it is the most hilarious thing we go through every day, day in and day out - three/four times a day - depending on how often I get to my sewing table.

When it is bedtime, she has to have her leash on and she lays on the floor on my side of the bed. I don't know if she thinks I'll lose her during the night or what, but if she doesn't have it on, she tries to wake up #1 husband and if that doesn't work, she knows I'll wake up, get up, get it, come back to bed, put it on and she is a happy little camper - all 84 pounds of her. Bess is going to be 10 years old in January and like me, she has lived more years than she has left and so I am giving her all the comforts that life can give her......I can be freezing my butt off in an airconditioned car, but my husband turns it on because she has been out running and she is all hot and we cool her off. She loves air conditioning in the house - and in the winter she loves to be covered up with her quilt. She is a very loved dog. Can't live without 'em! Edie
Old 09-12-2012, 03:48 AM

i love hearing these stories. we have 3 girl cats who seem to need to be near us when we're sewing. they aren't allowed on the tables, so they are sacked out on the floor around the room. it is a bedroom that isn't very big, and with two sewing machines set up in the center of the room and a small cutting table and two adults who are sewing, there is not alot of room left. we all seem to manage, though. now, outside of this room, they are strewn about. the two boys are out there, too. one boy burrows into a quilt to sleep sometimes. they are essential to the quilting process, y'know!
Old 09-12-2012, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
Think the cat would have to be drop kicked if it was an attention getting issue. The dog doesn't care if I cut, but gets annoyed when I sew. That is when we go out for a walk to change the scenerio. When we come in, we have a different attitude. It's funny, but we sometimes can't live with them, or without them.
Drop kicked????? Are you talking about actually kicking the kitten?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Wow .. I can remember our Momma Kitty who wanted to be everywhere the kids were and if they cried -we weren't in ear sight she would meow very loudly will we came to see what was the matter.. She used to sleep on the floor of the kids' room changing rooms each night. Very protective.. but alas our dog likes kittys for snackie, and is not very cat friendly !
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40 AM

My cat always wanted to lay on the sewing machine to watch the needle going up and down when I sewed. also of course laying in the middle of what ever I was sewing was a fun thing for him ..
Old 09-12-2012, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
A water bottle works. I only spray my cats when I don't want them on something.
HA Ha to the child gate fix they will just jump it.
A friend suggested I do this to keep my dog from trying to fight with my DS's demon cat. It doesn't work, he just runs into the other room, shakes the water off, and runs right back in again. (The fighting almost always takes place in the kitchen.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:46 AM

My husband adopted shelter kitty a couple of yeares ago. H e picked her out because he really likes to cuddle with a cat - has a great lap for it. (I don't, because I don't sit still very well) On the way home she was howling and not answering to "lizzie," her shelter name. Because I had just picked up a new sewing machine, I tried calling her "Janome". Believe it or not, she calmed down. The first time I sewed with her in the house she ran up to my sewing room and made herself comfortable on a pile of fabric in the corner - still does,she likes to be with me when I sew, and never jumps on the cutting or sewing table (kitchen table is a different story). I think she belonged to a sewer. So if anybody around here lost or had to give up a calico colored manxish (3 inch tail - not docked-and short legs) about 2 1/2 years ago - she landed on her feet in my sewing room and my heart, if not my lap.

Here is east bay, Hayward, Dublin area (california)