Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations >

When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations

When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations

Old 06-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

An observation:

Some of the people I have sent things to have been very very appreciative - and it was a joy to have been able to help them.

A couple of other people responded to a give-away within seconds - it would have been nice/appreciated if they would have at least sent "I got it" with the same speed that they were able to type in "I want it"
Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 AM

I got a pm not too long ago from someone I didn't know asking for fabric -- I didn't answer but I think I will send to Admin.... :D
Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
I got a pm not too long ago from someone I didn't know asking for fabric -- I didn't answer but I think I will send to Admin.... :D
I agree and for all of the members who read this I would encourage the same. Needing and asking for help is not abuse. Taking advantage of people is abuse (in my opinion).
Old 06-08-2010, 10:44 AM

I think I can add my 2cents worth here. I have listed several things to give away. When someone asks for them, I do check their profile listings to see if they participate on the board. I have meet and made some dear friends here by PMing to each other. I was ready to fill up landfill space before I joined. What I'm trying to add is, use your own judgement when giving away, selling, or buying from others. And the minute that pkg is out the door, don't worry over it anymore.

Now about the "fabric police", well thats a whole nuther story.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:02 AM

I was raised to help when I can, and that is what I try to do. I am more than happy to help with any request I can and my only request is that the good deed be passed along to someone else. I am not responsible for anyone but myself and will not have to answer for anyone else's misrepresentations. I agree with Maggie, the universe will sort it out.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by karielt
I feel that if I can help I will. I'm one of those people who have asked for help and I have been over whelmed with gratitude to those that have shared. I have a little gal I'm helping her make a quilt for a goal project. I wanted her to learn about the people that love quilting and why. So I asked if people could give up a square fabric and send along their story. Long story short many people on here have sent and are sending and this has got to be the best experience both her and I have ever had. We are going to be building her quilt with the squares and scrapbooking the stories to go along with it. I have one excited little 14 years old here. Her family is struggling. Many people on this board have made it happen for her and I am beyond thankful. I'll be posting pictures as we go.
For me, this story is what we DO NOT want to lose. I've been on forums (not quilting) that eventually forbid asking or posting that someone needs this or that. I think the only inappropriate thing is the individual targeting of folks you don't know or haven't had interaction with. If I see a post like yours, and i can help, I will. Given the option, I would say lots of folks would. Being pressured by a stranger feels totally different.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
I guess maybe I ask to much for fabrics, but being on ssi , i am financially limited. so when i get fabs i appreciate it cuz i get to sew. i show pics constantly to show everyone that i am using their fabrics and i'm quick to say thank you. I've been here a couple years and if i ask for alot, please pm me and tell me. Sometimes I get so excited when sewing with these fabs, I don't think .... So PLEASE tell me if I'm overdoing it. :oops:
Bev, You are a very special person and no one would complain about your requests...I've sent you 1 box and have started another. I'm on SSI also, but my husband is still earning a decent wage. I have seen the results from the little packages of fabric and the joy in you. Please don't stop reminding us...sometimes we just get busy and forget....
Old 06-08-2010, 11:27 AM

Gosh, this topic is of interest to me. I read on here someone requesting fabric and thought it strange, (but I don't belong to a lot of forums and had never incountered it before) Several days went by and I could not get the lady and her request off my mind. It was like I must do something. So I went through my stash and boxed up the fabric I thought I no longer wanted and sent it to her. I expected an open forum thank you so watched the board carefully and didn't see one. At first I thought maybe I had been taken advantage of, but said a little prayer asking God to bless the receiver of the package- then I received a PM thanking me. I feel that all is well. I don't want to be taken advantage of - but if I can help I want to. There was a time when I didn't have the resources to help when I wanted to, so now that I am a little better off I want to help with what I have. Just my feelings.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 AM

I have been cleaning put my sewing room and had lots of stuff boxed up when I heard Fredericksburg, VA had taken in 25 Ladies and their children from Burundi(?), I placed a call and explained most of it was for quilting and they said they would make it work but they didn't know about quilts. I dropped it off and 100 hugs and kisses later, left. I just had a call they saw some of the quilt patterns I sent and are interested in learning to quilt so as to sell things at Christmas. Boy, that does my old heart so much joy, helping other and God thanking my by making new quilters.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:52 AM

What I get weary of is the "Oh, I wish I could afford it." line. It just gets old.