Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations >

When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations

When People Ask For Hand Outs and Donations

Old 06-08-2010, 09:39 AM

I try to help if I can. Sometimes I don't have what people want, but if I do and I don't ever plan on using it, someone else is welcome to it! :)
Old 06-08-2010, 09:48 AM

i dont make posts but like to answer some and welcome newbies like i was welcomed, like i said im not to good with words but feel like everybody here is friends,
Old 06-08-2010, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

For those of you that are receiving the PMs please contact Patrice or Shadow with your concerns. This is not the type of person we want on the board. You can even copy and paste the message you have received with the persons name so they can deal directly with it.

We need everyones help to keep this board a safe, fun place to be :thumbup:

If something is not feeling right , contact Admin or a moderator right away :lol:
Old 06-08-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by redquilter
(quote) "I got a pm too asking for selvedges. The person joined April 23, 2010. Sent me the pm May 8, 2010. I just checked and the person has created 0 topics and made 0 responses to post. I have read post that 'gave me a funny feeling' but how would we ever know? We just have to make the best decisions we can, bless it and go on".
Hmmm - that same person PM'd me and I also checked and came up with the same results you did. She's not getting any of my selvedges, that's for sure.

This is what I don't like.

Bev - no one here is referring to you. We know your circumstances and you do email to let us know the envelope arrived and you do thank us and you do post pictures so we know you are using the fabric. Not to worry![/quote]

I received the same PM...interesting :|
Old 06-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by marsye
I don't want to sound like a witch here but how do you know people are being honest when they ask for hand outs or donations because they can't afford it, etc? I have always wondered about this when you can't actually see them and their situation. I'm always willing to help someone in need when I can see whats going on with my own eyes but online how can you be sure your not being snookered? I'm not pointing my finger at anybody on here. We also have a local forum in our town and people ask for hand outs on there too. Please don't hit me! I'll cry. :lol:
I don't know if there is any way you can be completely sure.
I have helped several people and know that they were sincere and appreciative.
But I can think of one person that I do think took advantage of the generosity of our members. The outpouring was tremedous, and she received essentially a new sewing room but all I saw was a quick Thanks. I've seen some other "questionable" requests that just don't ring true. If it doesn't feel right, take a pass.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Hazeljane ~ I have had the SAME thing happen to me! Twice, two complete strangers PM'd me asking me for stuff. I just thought it was kind of weird ~ I looked them up and I never had responded to anything they had said. I just deleted their PMs to me. Odd.
Originally Posted by dsb38837
(quote) "I got a pm too asking for selvedges. The person joined April 23, 2010. Sent me the pm May 8, 2010. I just checked and the person has created 0 topics and made 0 responses to post. I have read post that 'gave me a funny feeling' but how would we ever know? We just have to make the best decisions we can, bless it and go on".
(quote)Hmmm - that same person PM'd me and I also checked and came up with the same results you did. She's not getting any of my selvedges, that's for sure.

This is what I don't like.

I had that same person ask me a month or so ago to save selvage strips for her. I did reply that I would save them, definitely don’t plan on it now since she obviously isn’t a participant here.

Like SharonB, I look people up and try to determine if they are legimately in need of what they asked for. In my opinion, most quilters are honest people.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:07 AM

I feel that if I can help I will. I'm one of those people who have asked for help and I have been over whelmed with gratitude to those that have shared. I have a little gal I'm helping her make a quilt for a goal project. I wanted her to learn about the people that love quilting and why. So I asked if people could give up a square fabric and send along their story. Long story short many people on here have sent and are sending and this has got to be the best experience both her and I have ever had. We are going to be building her quilt with the squares and scrapbooking the stories to go along with it. I have one excited little 14 years old here. Her family is struggling. Many people on this board have made it happen for her and I am beyond thankful. I'll be posting pictures as we go.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:23 AM

Seems to me several of us have received a PM from the same person. I'll do as Sharon (moderator) suggested and contact Patrice. I suppose anyone who has been contacted should do the same. I don't like to be a "rat", but we do want to keep the board safe and a fun place to be.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:26 AM

I'm with the person who says they let it go with God.

Maybe it's like the innocent thing...better to let 100 guilty men go free than to jail one truly innocent man. If I have it and they ask, they will get it until I know different then I would not give.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 AM

Seems to me several of us have received a PM from the same person. I'll do as Sharon (moderator) suggested and contact Patrice. I suppose anyone who has been contacted should do the same. I don't like to be a "rat", but we do want to keep the board safe and a fun place to be.
Doing mine now and I do not feel like a rat or tattletale. I feel like a protector.
(I sent mine to patricej.)