Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who does sewing other than quilting? >

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:32 AM

I sat by my Grandmothers tredle machine while she was making feedsak dresses for me when I was a todler.
As soon as I couod hold a needle My Mother would let me practice running stitches on a scrap while she was mending.
when Iwas a teen I started making my skirts and dresses(Back in the day it was cheaper) I progressed to other gaement sewing even lingerie in the 60's when it was the rage.made one deaughter's wedding dress and Bridesmaid dresses for the other deaughter. many curtians drapes and home decor. Quilting is the most fun.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 AM

I love to sew. I used to make all of my clothes, my kids clothes, and most of my husband's flannel type and golf type shirts. Then the kids grew up and I went to work full time and just stopped, completely. I started quilting about 5 years ago, and started sewing again when I got my darling grandbabies. The second one is a girl, and I having the time of my life making sure she has the very cutest clothes ever!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 10:43 AM

I used to sew quite a few clothes, and now want to start again. Made my first quilt in 1981, for my son. Just jumped right in, and it came out great!

So....since many of you sew other things, here is a question for you....and PM me with any advice 'cause it is not my intetnion to hijack this thread.

Are there any patterns for clothing for expectant mothers anymore? I want to sew some shirts for my daughter, and can't find any specific materninty wear?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:16 AM

I started sewing in high school. As a missionary later, I made most of my four children's clothes. Now I am known as the "sewer" in the family. I sew everything from Holloween costumes to hemming pants. My grandkids bringing me all their stuffed animals or other things that need repairs. It is not that I am so good, but it is just something that I do for everyone. But I do love to spend an afternoon quilting--when I have time!!!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:54 PM

I recently made my older daughter's wedding dress. I sew a lot of different things. Quilts are only a part of the hobby.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:46 AM

Default sewing other than quilting

I seem to have a backlog of costumes, party dresses and various projects now for my kids. They're still at the age where they think it's fun to dress alike (close in age) and they appreciate it. In a few more years, who knows if they'll still like the dresses I make?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:48 AM

My great aunt made a little fabric doll for me with hinged legs and I treasured it. Still have it.