Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who gets poison ivy

I live in the NC woods as well, I get poison ivy, poison oak, any vine that grows will break me out. I was on steriods so much year before last that I had a great moon face for the year. But I digress....my doctor told me to get Zanfel from Walmart. I did and waaala, no more steriods.

It's expensive but a little goes a long way. I use it when I see the first sign of a break out (in the shower) and I'm saved. It's wonderful stuff. I have to take the shots immediately usually to keep breathing. It's much easier than lye soap on your skin, too.

Bless your heart, I know the itch is impossible. I've got the urge to go take a shower right now after reading about your breakout.
    Hugs,
    Sharon

Both my eldest son and I get it anytime of the year. I swear it's airborne or something. Always in the same place too. My right wrist. My son gets his on his right ankle.. So you're not alone...

my good friend has it too.

A banana peel and the trashy novel may just help spread it. I get it really bad, got it so bad during a winter here in Lake Effect territory that my face was swollen and people asked if my husband beat me! Never! Back then I took the steroid pacs. Now, I have diabetes and steroids just wreaks havoc on sugar control. So I have a regimen. As soon as I realize I've made contact with poison ivy, I take a hot bath with dish soap in it (couple tablespoons full) to remove oil. Then the calamine lotion and Benadryl. Try not to scratch anywhere where it isn't showing (or where it is) because Doc said since the histamines are already revved up, anywhere you scratch, they'll run to and you'll have a new eruption! Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    Wait a minute I was looking forward to the trashy novel. :lol: I've been using a silver salve that I got at the Herb Shop and it seems to be working. I am going to get the Blue Dawn and there was another med recommended that I'm going to get tomorrow. It does seem to be drying up. When I get hot it itches and I excerise several times a week. I can ignore the itch during the day, but at night is when I itch the most and scratch with out thinking.

Blog Entries
    Loggers, surveyors, hikers, etc swear by a product called TecNu. It washes away the oil. It use to be very hard to find in the store but now most pharmacies have it.

I didn't get it as a kid, but do as an adult. The only thing over the counter that I have found that works is bleach. This hurts really really really badly--so only try if nothing else works. You scratch open the rash and put bleach on it. Make sure your bladder is empty so you don't have an accident and a box of tissues close by, it will probably bring tears to your eyes. But it works.

Is there something you can wipe the dogs off with when you handle them so not to get infected? I'm thinking Lysol wipes or something?? I know you have to be careful since dogs groom themselves.

So sorry for you! Poison Ivy can be miserable.

Rose

Lyn
    I can get it in the winter by walking past a vine and barely touching it. I had an environmental engineer tell me that when he works in the field he takes baby wipes. The wipes take the oil off immediately. Cortizone cream and antihistamines help me if I get the rash. If it is real bad I get a cortizone shot. Also try cold water or a bag of ice. The doctor told me it calms the histamines.

I have never had it. Heaven saw fit to give me Eczema instead. That is poison ivy for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    I have never had it. Heaven saw fit to give me Eczema instead. That is poison ivy for life.
    have you been tested for food allergies??--that is often a sign.

Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Rose Hall
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    have you been tested for food allergies??--that is often a sign.

Rose
    Actually Eczema is hereditary, but I put up with it.

Blog Entries
    One of the problems I have is knowing when the dogs have rolled in the poision ivy. I do wash my hands after handling them, but it's after the walk. I keep sanitizer in my car so now when I put their collars on I can use it on my hands. I have heard of NuTec I think my oldest DD keeps it on hand for her DH. I just never know when the "beast" will attack me. I have it several times a year. I usually just fight through it. I hate to get the cortisan (sp) pack very often bc of the side effects. My Dr doesn't like to give it out often. Thanks for all you tips and advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    I think there is some kind of vaccine available for poison ivy now. Since you get it so often, you should check with your SIL MD on that. Glad you didn't have any new outbreaks today. :)
    There use to be a vaccine available to keep you from getting it because I had the shot every spring, however, I was so allergic to it I had to have the one shot in 4 doses because a full shot made my arm swell like there was a baseball under the skin. They no longer have that shot here in Michigan but have one they give you that is suppose to help dry it up. I get a bar of Fels Naptha soap (anyone remember that) make a paste of it and let it dry on the blisters. Kinda ugly but seems to help. A couple of years ago I rubbed my face in my cat's fur after she had been outside and ended up missing two weeks of work. The cat is no longer allowed outside!!

Blog Entries
    Good for kitty. My DD got poison ivy from her kitty one time. My kitties don't go outside. Dogs don't come inside.

No one mentioned Calamine lotion! Wonderful! Speaking from someone who has had a couple of bad bouts with it. Cheap and almost immediate relief from the itching..

Hmmmm that is interesting, our doctor told us NOT to take a hot show that is why it spreads. We were to take only cold to luke warm to showers. Either way, we always ended up getting a shot. LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    No one mentioned Calamine lotion! Wonderful! Speaking from someone who has had a couple of bad bouts with it. Cheap and almost immediate relief from the itching..
    I don't like Calamine lotion. One time I used Benadryl lotion and took Benadryl. Big mistake.It caused a bad reaction and the dr told me not to do that again.

If my son gets anywhere near it he is broken out all over. I know if I see one spot on him we head to the Dr and get the shot.

Blog Entries
    Hi,

I got poison oak real bad a few years ago and my sister in law told me to get Prednisone from Dr. (as she works for a Dr.) and boy it cleared it up fast. Prednisone is a steroid (as my hubby takes it for his kidney and pancrease transplant from 9/18/90.

Karen

Blog Entries
    Also I took bleach and rubbed on it and it sure dried up fast!

Karen

Blog Entries
    Noone mentioned Ivarest. I get it at Walmart and I only use that for all breakouts. It has a topical agent that numbs the skin and calms the histimine reaction.

I am very allergic. If you will rub with bleach as soon as you can, you will not break out. You can also use it after you have the dreaded blisters.

I have also used pure alcohol as soon as I noticed that I had touched it. Use it or bleach several times a day, and it will go away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2