Who gets poison ivy

Old 01-25-2010, 04:17 AM

I call everything poison ivy. I really don't know which "poison" it is. Thanks for all your advice. I have been doing the Aveeno bath and its seems to help, (yes with the trashy novel, it's hard to read a magazine in the tub). I think the Silver Salve I got from the Herb Shop is helping the best. I use the lye soap. I also wash my face with lye soap. I didn't notice any new breakouts this morning so maybe I'm through breaking out. This is not the worse case I've had. I went to my Dr with such a bad case one time that he sent me straight to a derm(?). I've had to miss work several times bc the breakouts are so bad. I get it several times a year. Got it one time from sitting on DH's lap through his clothes. DD and DS get it real bad too. DH hardly ever gets it. I just felt like whinning. I might try the bannan peel. Thank for the help. I knew you ladies would come through.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 AM

last time i got an outbreak i went to the clinic the doctor me to use dawn dishwashing liquid to dry it up. She said it takes an oil to cut an oil. It worked for me now when i get the first spots i head for the dawn

PS needs to be the original blue dawn.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:46 AM

Why the blue, I have the green?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:52 AM

not really sure just blue seems to wrok better
Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 AM

I think there is some kind of vaccine available for poison ivy now. Since you get it so often, you should check with your SIL MD on that. Glad you didn't have any new outbreaks today. :)
Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 AM

I live in the NC woods as well, I get poison ivy, poison oak, any vine that grows will break me out. I was on steriods so much year before last that I had a great moon face for the year. But I digress....my doctor told me to get Zanfel from Walmart. I did and waaala, no more steriods.

It's expensive but a little goes a long way. I use it when I see the first sign of a break out (in the shower) and I'm saved. It's wonderful stuff. I have to take the shots immediately usually to keep breathing. It's much easier than lye soap on your skin, too.

Bless your heart, I know the itch is impossible. I've got the urge to go take a shower right now after reading about your breakout.
Hugs,
Sharon
Old 01-25-2010, 01:50 PM

Both my eldest son and I get it anytime of the year. I swear it's airborne or something. Always in the same place too. My right wrist. My son gets his on his right ankle.. So you're not alone...
Old 01-25-2010, 02:13 PM

my good friend has it too.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:15 PM

A banana peel and the trashy novel may just help spread it. I get it really bad, got it so bad during a winter here in Lake Effect territory that my face was swollen and people asked if my husband beat me! Never! Back then I took the steroid pacs. Now, I have diabetes and steroids just wreaks havoc on sugar control. So I have a regimen. As soon as I realize I've made contact with poison ivy, I take a hot bath with dish soap in it (couple tablespoons full) to remove oil. Then the calamine lotion and Benadryl. Try not to scratch anywhere where it isn't showing (or where it is) because Doc said since the histamines are already revved up, anywhere you scratch, they'll run to and you'll have a new eruption! Good Luck!
Old 01-26-2010, 04:05 AM

Wait a minute I was looking forward to the trashy novel. :lol: I've been using a silver salve that I got at the Herb Shop and it seems to be working. I am going to get the Blue Dawn and there was another med recommended that I'm going to get tomorrow. It does seem to be drying up. When I get hot it itches and I excerise several times a week. I can ignore the itch during the day, but at night is when I itch the most and scratch with out thinking.