Who gets poison ivy

Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Loggers, surveyors, hikers, etc swear by a product called TecNu. It washes away the oil. It use to be very hard to find in the store but now most pharmacies have it.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:41 AM

I didn't get it as a kid, but do as an adult. The only thing over the counter that I have found that works is bleach. This hurts really really really badly--so only try if nothing else works. You scratch open the rash and put bleach on it. Make sure your bladder is empty so you don't have an accident and a box of tissues close by, it will probably bring tears to your eyes. But it works.

Is there something you can wipe the dogs off with when you handle them so not to get infected? I'm thinking Lysol wipes or something?? I know you have to be careful since dogs groom themselves.

So sorry for you! Poison Ivy can be miserable.

Rose
Old 01-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Lyn

I can get it in the winter by walking past a vine and barely touching it. I had an environmental engineer tell me that when he works in the field he takes baby wipes. The wipes take the oil off immediately. Cortizone cream and antihistamines help me if I get the rash. If it is real bad I get a cortizone shot. Also try cold water or a bag of ice. The doctor told me it calms the histamines.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I have never had it. Heaven saw fit to give me Eczema instead. That is poison ivy for life.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
I have never had it. Heaven saw fit to give me Eczema instead. That is poison ivy for life.
have you been tested for food allergies??--that is often a sign.

Rose
Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
Originally Posted by Boston1954
have you been tested for food allergies??--that is often a sign.

Rose
Actually Eczema is hereditary, but I put up with it.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 PM

One of the problems I have is knowing when the dogs have rolled in the poision ivy. I do wash my hands after handling them, but it's after the walk. I keep sanitizer in my car so now when I put their collars on I can use it on my hands. I have heard of NuTec I think my oldest DD keeps it on hand for her DH. I just never know when the "beast" will attack me. I have it several times a year. I usually just fight through it. I hate to get the cortisan (sp) pack very often bc of the side effects. My Dr doesn't like to give it out often. Thanks for all you tips and advise.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
I think there is some kind of vaccine available for poison ivy now. Since you get it so often, you should check with your SIL MD on that. Glad you didn't have any new outbreaks today. :)
There use to be a vaccine available to keep you from getting it because I had the shot every spring, however, I was so allergic to it I had to have the one shot in 4 doses because a full shot made my arm swell like there was a baseball under the skin. They no longer have that shot here in Michigan but have one they give you that is suppose to help dry it up. I get a bar of Fels Naptha soap (anyone remember that) make a paste of it and let it dry on the blisters. Kinda ugly but seems to help. A couple of years ago I rubbed my face in my cat's fur after she had been outside and ended up missing two weeks of work. The cat is no longer allowed outside!!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 AM

Good for kitty. My DD got poison ivy from her kitty one time. My kitties don't go outside. Dogs don't come inside.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 AM

No one mentioned Calamine lotion! Wonderful! Speaking from someone who has had a couple of bad bouts with it. Cheap and almost immediate relief from the itching..