Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has the money?

Blog Entries
    We are not poor or broke by any stretch of the imagination. But, I do try to get my kids what they want at Christmas and birthdays. We rarely spend much on luxury items at other times of the year. So my question is this: Do you spend a lot of money at after Christmas sales? I am always amazed at those who do, I guess if we had a whole lot of fun money I would spend too. It just surprises me that with this bad economy there is so much talk of after Christmas sales and shopping. What do you do?

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I don't spend anything we don't have, hate crowded stores, but love sales when I do go out!

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I don't do the after Christmas shopping. I can barely afford Christmas shopping. I know ppl who do and they couldn't figure out why I don't.

Well, we saved back a couple hundred dollars to buy new (energy saving) LED lights and solar lights at half off after Christmas. We're calling it "saving money" on the electric bill next year.

And, our cat broke our fake tree, so we bought a new (fake) tree.

And I bought myself 2 new sweaters, because I deserve it. And, because DH likes to keep the heat @ 68. :lol:

And, a few rolls of half off Christmas Wrap. We were actually getting low, lol!

SO, no we didn't spend much but we DID plan for it. Other than that, I'm happy. Don't need much.

Blog Entries
    I set a little aside this year for the after christmas sale, I needed new bras... badly!! (I also took a little detour to Joanne's). I love after christmas sales for necessities but no big splurges here either.

I generally go out to a couple of stores for the after-xmas sales. This year I bought a new tree skirt & some garlands.

I will generally go for some of the clothing stuff if I spot it. Other than that I don't worry about it.

Blog Entries
    when he was a teenager i offered my son a choice. he could:

(1) get stuck with stuff i bought that he might not like
    (2) get money on christmas to spend during the after-sales. he did the math and took the cash.

down, down, down went the stress level. ;-)

Blog Entries
    Actually I hardly ever hit the after Christmas sales...we live in a small town with only a wal-mart..and since there is no competition..they hardly have any sales. I don't need any CHristmas decorations...so I avoid the stores. PLus I already spent so much before Christmas! LOL

i don't spend a lot on after Christmas sales, but i usually find a roll of wrapping paper i like and sometimes and ornament for one of next years packages. I usually buy a fruitcake too LOL, i know most hate it, but i LOVE it!

I have to return 2 items...so will spend that money at the store...will get a new purse, since that is something that I will need by spring. Maybe some new undies if they are on sale.

We bought a string of those new lights that are 90% cheaper to run...they are VERY bright and we will probably buy more of those.

i hate to shop except fabric

generally, I dont after Christmas shop unless there is something I need.... or happen to be in the store and spy a super sale.....

Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat85
    i hate to shop except fabric
    That's me!!!!

I hate shopping, especially when there is a crowd. I don't do crowds. Now, I will join a crowd for a quilt show though!!!!

I work at Kohls, so I can't avoid the after Christmas sales, but I won't buy unless I need it and even then it has to be a great deal... and there are a lot of great deals at Kohls!
    I am in cleaning out and getting rid of stuff mode right now anyway!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am not able to get out and shop much,but when I did and had a little money,I always got next years gifts on clearance. Natalies birthday is January 8th and i found her a nice doll today marked 70% off.WooHoo!

I buy a few things for decorating the house for the next season. We bought another 3 ft tree with multi colored lights for 9 bucks. I don't buy toys or clothes because the kids change their tastes in everything at the drop of the hat.

But I do love scouring clearance racks all year long.

Blog Entries
    Money so tight we didn't do Christmas for anyone except three children in the family under 14. So who cares about sales?

np3
    Blog Entries
    I hate the busy stores, but I will check out the online sales for items that I would buy anyway. I always like a "deal" on what I would have bought at regular price. My daughter buys items on sale that she bought before Christmas at regular price and returns the regular priced items for a refund. Way too much trouble for me!!!!

BMP
    Blog Entries
    I dont go near stores until at least a week later, kids are back to school and people are back to work.Usually there is nothing much left that I need/want.
    I think the ones who are at the store the next day are people trying to spend gift cards or just exchanges not many bargains or merchandise left. I dont think the store stock merchandise for holidays like they did in years past.

Blog Entries
    I use to shop the day after when every things was 75%off. However in the last few years, I have notice that the stores were not marking down the items rigth away so I wait until a week or two after Christmas. This year I do not have the extar cash so I will be shop here if I need fabric. Many sell there fabric a wonderful prices. :thumbup:

Our funds are tight this year (so I won't be doing it), but as a general rule the only kind of after Christmas Shopping I've done rather religiously is the purchasing of decorations and the restocking on sewing/quilting/craft supplies... as (Joann's/Hancock's) usually have good sales for those items at this time of year (plus the coupon commotions).

Occasionally, I will buy things that will be good for holidays in the future - like early in the year birthdays etc. When I was in college though, we always did "After Christmas" because that's when we could afford most items and gifts, even the tree/decorations. So we celebrated that on New Year's Eve, ate, drank and was merry until the ball dropped at midnight, when we ourselves, tried to not be the last one to drop, LOL.

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
    - The Creative Seamstress

My Mom and I usually hit the day-after-Christmas sales hard (for collectable Christmas decorations), but we were very sadly disappointed this year that the selection was pretty poor compared to past years. Even the sales were not that great. Oh well, that meant that I could put in an order for some more sewing accessories... just don't tell my DH about it. He will find out when the credit card bill comes!

My husband bday is on the 3rd my daughters is on the 4th I gave up giving gifts after christmas they get more gifts for christmas :)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I used to buy tons of wrapping paper etc after Christmas, so much that I probably will never need any again!! I stopped at least 3 years ago and still have plenty.
    I've been trying to de-clutter so I'm not running around to all the sales the way I used to.
    But fabric is a different story....... although I haven't bought any since November. I must be sick lol
    My Mom gave us checks so I'm saving mine for something special. :D

We got all our bags wrapping paperand ribbon for next year at half price.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast