Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who remembers S&H green stamps >

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 AM

I still have a milk glass fruit bowl, footed pitcher, and 8 matching glasses that my Mom got with green stamps. I also remember the Jewel Tea man and his magical truck full of things, and the aluminum kitchen stuff in boxes of oatmeal, 45's, and towels in the detergent boxes. Those towels were my Mom's guest towels and we better not even think of touching them! Thanks for the blast from te past!!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by suebee
Originally Posted by countrycottage
Today's post about chenille bedspreads reminded me of the one I had in my room when I was a teenager. Mother got it with S&H Green Stamps (trading stamps). You could get all kinds of things with trading stamps, ranging from toys to linens, to cookware, dishes, lamps, furniture, most anything. After I married and moved to Dallas, we also got Gold Bond stamps and Top Value stamps. My daughter still uses a table lamp that my husband and I got with trading stamps shortly after we were married, and I have several pieces of Revere Ware cookware. In fact my kitchen would have been kind of sparsely furnished back then had it not been for those stamps!
Oh my gosh, YES!!! I remember...my mom used to collect them and they even had S&H green stamp stores to redeem, I loved going with her. So....now that you brought this up I have a hilarious story about S&H Green stamps...here it goes... so my mom and dad had a group of friends that all hung out together all the time. One of their friends was a doctor that this whole group went to and took their kids to. The ladies even went to him for their "womanly check ups". One of my mom's friend went in for her check up, while she was waiting in the doctors office, she had to use the restroom, well..she got in their did her business and realized they were out of toilet paper. She grabbed a kleenex out of her purse, all was well. Soon after she was called in to the exam room. She was all ready to go when Doctor Bill came in (remember, they are all friends). He started his examination and burst out laughing...YES...she had a green stamp stuck down there. Must have been in the tissue she used previously. Well I would have been so embarrased had that happen to me, but let me tell you, just about every camping trip after this, the story was re-hashed. I will NEVER forget that as long as I live.
OMG! So far (pg 3) there are 3 posts (including mine) about getting them stuck on your ..... you know where, at the doctor's office, my story included. Are we all remembering an old joke as something that happened to us or a friend??
I'm Canadian and I don't believe they were used up there! That is very strange! Will have to look at all the posts... :?:
Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 AM

I remember saving stamps to get sleeping bags when I was young. We needed 7 books for each sleeping bag. I remember going to the green stamp store with 28 books of green stamps. It was so exciting!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:48 AM

Oh yes, I remember them well. My Dad owned a trucking company and he got green stamps with all fill ups so my folks "bought" me many gifts with them. :D :-D :lol:
Old 06-19-2011, 08:49 AM

Oh yes, I used to save them. They were all used to buy things I couldn't afford to buy outright.
Tommie
Old 06-19-2011, 08:49 AM

I got a set of dishes. I saved one in my scrap book and I have a ww2 ration book.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 AM

I sure do..my Mother and Grandmother were wicked with theirs..lol..I have some of the things they purchased with them..I use an old card table for one..they had them.. like I do coupons..it was quite a deal !!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Priss
I got a set of dishes. I saved one in my scrap book and I have a ww2 ration book.
Me too..both..I have a lot of WW2 stuff saved !! What fun this board is !!!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:00 AM

When we married in 1976, my father would give us his S&H stamps that he would get every time that he filled his company truck up. We felt so blessed to receive them.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Oh what a trip down memory lane that takes me.