Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who remembers S&H green stamps >

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo
Originally Posted by mac3rday
The detergent was DUZ. Sometimes they put dish towels or dish cloths in the soap. Anyone remember getting dinnerware when you bought gas?? I think Sinclair and Clark Oil gave that away with a fillup!

I don't know about Sinclair, but Clark gave away glasses, several different sizes. They had frosted deer on them. My husband had a bunch when we married & used them for years.
We got cereal size bowls with a handle made by Fire King at Bill's Sinclair gas station that was on Military Parkway in Dallas in the mid to late 1960's. They were the pretty gold color that is now so pricey in antique stores.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Green stamps were great, and there are collectors of them now. I recently sold a large box of loose green and gold stamps on Ebay, for around $75.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Judie
Are you ready for this? I still have several books and a bunch of loose S&H Green Stamps.. I sometimes think I'll toss them, but then, I've had them so long that I just keep on keeping them.. silly.. you can't get anything with them anymore of course, but they are fun to have anyway... I wonder if anyone else has some hiding in a drawer?
Don't toss them, there are collectors, try on Ebay!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Oh, yes, I remember S&H green stamps. And Top Value. Back then you had to "lick" them to put them in the books (or wet with something). We got the greatest things with them!
Same here but I got smart and used a sponge!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 PM

I had forgotten about Green Stamps and Gold Bond Stamps. Back in the day, I only shopped at places that gave these stamps. It was so exciting when you filled up a book. There was a Green Stamp redemption center near my home and I loved to go there, see the "prizes" available and dream of what I was going to get next. Thank you for the memories.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:07 PM

We never had the S&H Green Stamps but we did have the Gold Bond stamps and later the Royal Trading Stamps. Oh how I remember my mother saving those stamps in a drawer and then when there were too many to stuff anymore in the drawer, out came the books to paste (lick) them into. I can't really remember what she traded those books in for but I'm sure it were things that she needed or wanted. I vaguely imagine that one thing was a large waffle iron. I also remember that dishes came in boxes of laundry soap (I think). Golden Wheat pattern.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 PM

My mom and grandmother saved their's for me when I was getting married. I got several items with them to start housekeeping with. Both grandmothers saved the dish towels and wash clothes from washing powder and glasses from oatmeal. I also remember gas stations giving dishes away when you bought gas.

Not long ago my husband and I were at a flea market and a man had S&H green stamps in books selling for around $30 each.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:55 AM

I can remember pasting those stamps into books my mom was diligent in saving them but I don't ever remember what she got with them
Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 AM

Thanks for bringing back the memories :-)

My family collected green stamps from A&P and I remember having licking duty but I always got a bonus. I could go along to the Green Stamp store and if there were some left over from the required "purchase" I could choose something. I remember foolishly passing over an electric ice cream maker for a hand crank! It was work but oh did it make good ice cream. I only got rid of it a couple of years ago.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:23 AM

Got my first child's crib with Green Stamps and the mattress with Plaid Stamps.