Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who remembers S&H green stamps >

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 AM

Oh yes I do remember S&H Stamps. I saved up for baby items for our first child who will be 43 this Sept. I loved getting the neat items for free. Boy the world has really changed. Now kids just go and buy them. But back them a lot of moms did not work like they all do now. Where did the one income families go??????
Old 06-20-2011, 06:26 AM

Oh yes I do remember S&H Stamps. I saved up for baby items for our first child who will be 43 this Sept. I loved getting the neat items for free. Boy the world has really changed. Now kids just go and buy them. But back them a lot of moms did not work like they all do now. Where did the one income families go??????
Old 06-20-2011, 06:29 AM

Yes yes, I remember getting dishtowels but remember getting the dinner glasses in soap boxes. Was it Doz? Can't remember what soap it wasnow.; But I bet someone out there will remember. Isn't it fun to bring our old times to life again. Keep it going.....
Connie Brooks
Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 AM

I loved S&H stamps and cherished the job of pasting them into the books. I especially loved the way the pages crinkled when they dried. I still have a tambourine that I got with the stamps...
Old 06-20-2011, 07:10 AM

I'm old enough to remember S&H green stamps and others, like Plaid stamps ? Remember getting them at the A & P, and putting stamps in booklets for my Mom. Going with her or my grandma to the stamp stores. "Helping" them decide what to get that visit. I got to pick out a jewelry box that I still have ...

Remember when grocery stores used to have dish sets or cookware sets, even book collections - that you got by the piece, each week or two ?? We still have a set of lovely childrens books that my Mom got from the grocery. :)
Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 AM
RDM

I remember well. Mom smoked Raleigh cigarettes and saved their coupons to buy things for the home with....Thank heavens some quilt shops still have discount coupons within quilt show brochures.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by dogpursemaker
I am wondering if green stamps were a regional type thing? I grew up in WA, and had never heard of them until I went to Texas to spend the summer with relatives. That is when I heard about them, and bless her heart, my cousin "bought" me a Breyer horse with some!
We did have Fred Meyer stamps up here; I think they were turned in for credit towards our purchases, or something.
I think they were pretty widespread, we had them in Nashville TN growing up, also in Kansas and Missouri and my grandparents in Iowa & Illinois had them :)
Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 AM

With the ecomony the way it has been since the start of 09 we could have all used green stamps again. We saved every stamp we could get our hands on and if someone dropped theirs I grabbed for my mom. If someone said they didn't. Save them I embarressed my mom many times by telling them that we did and I would take theirs if they didn't want them. I would walk around the parking area looking for loose stamps. We got many things that others took for granted with those stamps like our first toaster and electric mixer. The good old days.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:46 AM

Do I ever......I worked in a salon where one of the ladies' husband
started S&H stamps.....

She got to be known as "Mrs. S&H" and was a really sweet,genteel lady who always had something nice to say.

Thanks for the memory !!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 AM

if I was "good" that week, my mom let me place the stamps in the book. So, yes, I do remember!