Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who remembers S&H green stamps >

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Old 06-19-2011, 01:10 PM
KLO

So funny that you should ask this as my husband just asked the other day if we still had the items we got with S & H stamps way back in 1968 when we got married! Both Moms gave us the ones they had been saving and we got a lamp and a lamp table. Well, we don't have them anymore due to several moves. That's the way to get rid of "stuff" ..... move!
Old 06-19-2011, 01:28 PM

I remember green stamps very well. As late as 10 or 12 years ago we were still given green stamps when we filled our truck with diesel fuel but instead of getting one stamp for every 10 cents or a big one for a dollar we got 1 stamp per gallon of diesel The truck stops were the last business to give stamps I still have some and some gold bond stamps also
Old 06-19-2011, 01:32 PM

Oh my Heck! now I really feel dated. Yes my mother collected those and we would go shop at the store to pick things out with them. We also had gold strike stamps.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Yes, I do remember, loved to fill the books and looking at the catalog to see what mom could get next. I think she also got me a watch(Longines)and a suit case which I recently threw got water damage and smelled from 1968. My o my! should not of said that seams like a million years ago.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:05 PM

Remember them? I still have a few books!
Old 06-19-2011, 02:08 PM

I saved green stamps as a child. I would get them from the neighbors too. Then in the fall I would get a transistor radio. I would listen to it and take it to school with me. When school was out my dad would take it to his job sight to listen to the baseball games. The reason I had to get a new one each year was because he was in construction and the radio would usually get kicked off a roof or two. Now I wonder if the kicking was on purpose by someone who didn't like the baseball games! I do miss those stamps and the things we could get with them!
Old 06-19-2011, 02:11 PM

I still have 3 little books with S&H stamps in them !!
why I keep them I'll never know.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:20 PM

In the UK we had Green Shield stamps. You got them when you shopped at the Co-Operative stores. My dad collected a lot of them and at my wedding reception, stood up, made his speech and then handed my new husband a full book of them and said "Thank you for taking her off my hands"!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 PM

Oh Yes, I do remember those stamps! Couldn't wait to fill a book. First thing I got was a toaster. Didn't care how much my parents had to buy to get the stamps, it was FREE when I went to the store! LOL
Old 06-19-2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by arimuse
I remember we kids got the "fun" of pasting them into the books. Does anyone remember the Jewel Tea Company?? I remember a truck that came to my Aunts house every few weeks and my aunt, GM and I sat and went thru a book and ordered all kinds of stuff and most of it was on the truck (groceries, and drygoods -) sharet
My grandmother bught a lot of stuff from The Jewel Man. She paid a little each week until it was paid for. I remember a coat she go me for Easter one year.