Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who remembers S&H green stamps >

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Who remembers S&H green stamps

Old 06-19-2011, 10:54 AM

I remember them well..we saved enough one year and got my my Mom the neatest maple rocking chair with them!! I rememeber the blue chip stamps too...don't think I have heard of the top value ones? Maybe they were an eastern thing? I was raised in California.
Fun memory to relive, thanks for the walk down memory lane.
crafty_linda_b

I still have and use the sewing table that I got over 40 yrs. ago w/, I believe it was S& H. Still have 2full books that I was saving when they quit issuing. Guess I kept them just for memories.

Originally Posted by valsma
Originally Posted by Numa
I still have a milk glass fruit bowl, footed pitcher, and 8 matching glasses that my Mom got with green stamps. I also remember the Jewel Tea man and his magical truck full of things, and the aluminum kitchen stuff in boxes of oatmeal, 45's, and towels in the detergent boxes. Those towels were my Mom's guest towels and we better not even think of touching them! Thanks for the blast from te past!!
That's so funny. I remember the towels and little ceramic dogs that you could collect out of, I think it was Red Rose tea bags and a real prize in Cracker Jacks. Oh, if our kids even had a clue. So funny.
Way way back in the mid thirties some of the nickle Cracker Jack boxes had little cameras in them as prizes!
They really worked. You just took pictures with them, and sent the whole thing back to the Kodak company in - I think Rochester NY. and they would send you back a printed black and white set of the photos you took. My uncle loved to do that, and would look for the heavier -fatter Cracker Jack boxes that had the cameras inside them in the displays in the stores. I liked that because, I usually got to eat the cracker jacks! Jeannie
Jeannie
Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by BeckyL
I also remember the Watkins man making door-to-door deliveries of flavorings and other household/cooking products. That may have been regional. He came to my DGM in North Carolina.
We had him in New England and Indiana -
Old 06-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Dkm

I still have some....Do you remember Top Value. Got some of those also.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:16 AM

Yes!! Yes!! Yes!! Green stamps, gold bond stamps, top value stamps. I appreaciate my age that allows me such wonderful memories. Oh the wonderful things you could get with the stamps. In fact, the first thing I ever WON in my life was green stamps. Came to about 3 books of stamps. WOW! What a haul.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:40 AM

I saved them as a kid, and remember sending them in for something, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. For several years after they went out of business, I held onto my last partial book... long gone now.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:59 AM

[quote=jpthequilter]
Originally Posted by thomp116

I think RINSO and OXYDOL and some of the others used to put dish towels and hand towels in their soap flakes and detergent boxes.
Oh yeah - those were the brands I remember! My mom filled our linen closet with those towels! I can even remember bath towels in the(Rinso? I think) boxes. They weren't very big (as compared to today) but we used 'em!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 PM

yes I remember them green stamps .
Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
OMG! So far (pg 3) there are 3 posts (including mine) about getting them stuck on your ..... you know where, at the doctor's office, my story included. Are we all remembering an old joke as something that happened to us or a friend??
I'm Canadian and I don't believe they were used up there! That is very strange! Will have to look at all the posts... :?:
Kitsie - I just asked dh, who grew up just outside of Niagara Falls, ON & he says he remembers collecting stamps, but he's not sure what kind. He thinks they could have been S&H, but he is really not sure.....

OK - to go along with this S & H stamp post - anyone remember the name of the grocery store you got them at???
and is the store still in business????

I remember "Acme" grocery store (in North Tonawanda,NY) for the green stamps. I think we got Plaid Stamps @ The Great Atlantic & Pacific Co (which then morphed into the A & P). Neither store is in operation today.