Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why buy the biggest embroidery machine hoops?

Why buy the biggest embroidery machine hoops?

Every time someone inquires about buying their first embroidery machine, someone suggests they get a machine with the largest hoops. Why? What projects are you using the large embroidery hoops for? Larger than 5 x 7?

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    i wanted to use my Destiny to quilt my quilts. i could quilt 9-10" blocks with the big hoop. but i was not satisfied with the way the machine worked with the big hoop, so i returned the machine.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    jacket backs. I did emb with a friend with a professional machine. I did caskets,
    the biggest hoop was about 30" x 28", it was great for the caskets, flags and jacket backs.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    jacket backs. I did emb with a friend with a professional machine. I did caskets,
    the biggest hoop was about 30" x 28", it was great for the caskets, flags and jacket backs.
    Really curious as to which embroidery machine has that big of a hoop?
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I don't own an embroidery machine and never will but I have read numerous posts about the small hoops on the lower end machines were and many quilters were very disappointed that they couldn't use a bigger hoop.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    I have one that has a large hoop but the one I use most is the 5x7

Quote Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
    Really curious as to which embroidery machine has that big of a hoop?
    Usually commercial ones.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

The hoop needs to be larger than the design as the foot needs a margin of clearance between the edge of the sewing and the edge of the hoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
    Every time someone inquires about buying their first embroidery machine, someone suggests they get a machine with the largest hoops. Why? What projects are you using the large embroidery hoops for? Larger than 5 x 7?

sandy
    I have a "Jumbo" hoop for my Bernina 830LE. It has a 15 3/4 inch x scant 10 1/4 space. I used it to embroidery quilt designs on a queen size Lone Star quilt I made. The longest design was 15 inches. It worked great for doing the large triangle designs. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t258053.html

I also used it to embroider FSL Angel ornaments. I loaded many into the hoop area, which saved time & stabilizer.

My biggest hoop is a 5x7, would be nice to have larger one.

Blog Entries
    Barb it's a Tajima 15 needle machine.

you never what you'll want to embroider. Some stuffed animals require a big hoop.

also to quilt designs on quilt blocks, 12 x 12 blocks need about a 13 1/2" sq to get the foot around the design.
    hope this clears up some of the hooping designs.

Also on a large hoop, you can more designs done. I used to do lace and still do. look up Urban Threads, they have a lace gingerbread house. I could fit a couple on one hooping of Solvy, which is about $30 a roll, less waste of precious backing and topping. You could get a kids name across the pillow case sham too. I used to use the big hoop for that at work.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

When I bought my machine it came with the 4 x 4 and the 8 x 10. I have used the 4 x 4 twice in 2 years. It is just easier to use the larger hoop. I have bought the 5 x 7 hoop for the smaller designs so I don't over use the stabilizer. Even when you make a label you need to have the bigger hoop.

I have made quilt blocks with the larger hoop (baby quilts with nursery rhymes and an animal blue grass band) and to put a continuous pattern on edges of towels, sheets and other items the larger hoop is much easier than the smaller hoops. (I made aprons for baking and put cookies along the edges of the aprons. And I have made pillow cases for my niece and nephew and put sayings on the edge along with their names.)
    Last edited by quiltingcandy; 12-26-2015 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
    I have one that has a large hoop but the one I use most is the 5x7
    Me too! That is why I posted my question.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

You can do so much more with the larger hoop.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Blog Entries
    I don't think I've ever used my 4x4, rarely the 5x7 but love my larger hoops. I can put more than one design and the main thing is, I'm not limited to what size design I use and don't have to do muliple hoopings. Most people get addicted to embroidery and so if you only get the 4x4, which is standard you out grow it really fast. I do admit that I use my 5x7 more now that they have the magnetic hoop. I have the Viking Diamond Deluxe and it has very large hoops.
    Judy

My embroidery machine accommodates 4" x 4" and I find I need the 5" x 7" quite often....but, then I will need the next size up after that
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but chuckle when you see one tumble down the stairs.

My biggest hoop is a 5 X7 but I have learned how to rehoop so I can make much larger designs. Takes work and practice, practice, practice.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    The largest hoop I have is a 12" x 7", but I also have a stand-alone design-splitting program by Designer's Gallery called Hoopworks, so I am pretty well set up for any size I personally might like to do. However, the hoop I use most is the 5" x 7", so if I were looking to buy an embroidery machine, the minimum requirement for me would be at least a 5 X 7. Would love to have an 8 x 8 hoop, I think a square hoop would be very useful, but my machine will not take it. I also use the smallest hoop I can on projects, it saves on stabilizer.
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

The Beautiful Willamette Valley In Oregon
    I've used my 4 x 4 hoop for free-standing lace earrings. I suppose if I were embroidering designs on little ones' clothing, I might use it more, but it sure is handy for making the earrings right now. The patterns I use embroider both earrings at once, then I embellish them with Swarovski crystals. But, the one I use most for other projects is the 5 x 7.
    Shirley
    "We shall pass this way on Earth but once; if there is any kindness we can show, or good act we can do, let us do it now, for we will never pass this way again." Stephen Grellet

Blog Entries
    I started with a Janome10000 with 4x4 and 5x7 hoops as well as a giga hoop. I now also have a Janome 15000 with very large hoops and I'm much happier with that but still use my 10000 for the small designs. I can have both embroidery machines going and sew on my Janome 6600 all at the same time. Just love them.

you can do so much more with larger hoops. edge to edge quilting for one. My biggest hoop is a 5 x 7 and I really wish I had larger hoops

A larger hoop is good. So many embroidery patterns are fir the larger hoop. You can use the 5x7 but you gave to do so many hooping.

Blog Entries
    you will quickly outgrow a small hoop when you see whats available in embroidery patterns...I had only a 5x7 and wish I had had bigger....go big from the b eginning
    Retired and living in NE Michigan

I just used the largest hoop for my Brothers machine (9.5 x 14) to embroider a design on a large sweatshirt. It was a combined design resulting in a design you see on many shirts for sale for the holidays. The large hoop allowed me to experiment with placement etc before I actually stitched it out. That way I knew exactly what it would look like.
    unclefreckles' Grandma

I use the big hoops all the time, for quilt blocks and have one that is 13.5 x 13.5 that I have used to make some real nice pictures. The 9 x 12 hoop is also great for doing Christmas stockings and dresser scarfs ect.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast