Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why do I try to do so many things? >

Why do I try to do so many things?

Why do I try to do so many things?

Old 12-12-2013, 10:23 AM

I can totally relate!!

I decided to make quilts for all three of my grandchildren for Christmas. I have 2 done and started the 3rd one yesterday. My son and his family are coming in on Dec 19. My daughter is getting married on Dec 22. The "friend" that was making her wedding cake ISN'T because she doesn't have time. My house looks like a hurricane went through it. I haven't decorated for Christmas (have no clue when that is going to happen). Have not bought the first Christmas gift. I will have my entire family (12 people) at my house every night for dinner from Dec 19 thru Dec 25. Oh, and I work full time.

Not stressing though. Focusing on the wedding and everyone understands that.

How do I spell relief?! J A N U A R Y
Old 12-13-2013, 05:15 AM

Over the years I've found that all sewing, hemming, repairs STOP the day after Thanksgiving. It's hard enough with all that has to be done to try to finish projects.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:10 AM

Lynnie, you are SO organized! Wish it would rub off on me.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:15 AM

marymc--- of course, we are WOMEN !
Old 12-13-2013, 11:42 AM

Look at your list of things to get done and prioritize; see what can be left out. Cradles are wonderful but baby dolls to go in them are a great substitute with cradles to follow on birthdays or New Year's. Cleaning the house - my mother always said to make sure the bathrooms are clean and vacuum and quickly dust noticeable surfaces in the room where the gathering is and close doors to bedrooms, other rooms. Put out some decorations and start a new tradition of decorating the tree all together on Christmas Eve (if it doesn't work out, just say, oh well, we will go back to doing it earlier NEXT year); get what you can done on the Around the World quilt then put the rest of the fabric in a gift bag and tell her it is a gift in progress - if she is any kind of a good kid, she will understand.

My best idea: wrap a big bandage around your wrist and put your arm in a sling and tell everyone you weren't able to be everything done due to your injury and will complete projects as soon as you heal. Then let everyone help you do what you need to get done!

Meanwhile, take a deep breath, put on some Christmas music and read or watch a favorite movie, then work on one thing at a time. It is amazing how much you can get done when you are relaxed!

Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-13-2013, 08:25 PM

Simply because you want to - or you're crazy - or both! For me, it used to be both; now I'm just crazy.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:52 PM

I have really tried to simplify things at our house. Takes the stress out. I hope everyone finds time for themselves and can slow down and enjoy the simple things in life. I am just giving very simple useful gifts that I made. I hope to be more organized next year. Yet I say that each year! Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-17-2013, 07:50 AM

Totally understand. I decided to make the grown up kids all quillows, NFL ones, that's 15 of them. I'm so far behind its unreal. Last night as I was doing some of the stitching, I thought to my self. I'll go ahead and do them all and topstitch them with a single stitch and then if I don't have time to do the pockets, at least they'll all have throws. They are all NFL nuts, not me. Then I'm making the little ones blankets with a small pocket and a teddy bear to put in it, that's done on my emb machine. This doesn't include the baking, cleaning, etc that needs to be done. Then, I also have to go and get my daughters birthday gift which is 3 days after Christmas. There are lots more projects that I want to finish before Christmas but not sure its happening.