Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why does meatloaf get a bum rap? >

Why does meatloaf get a bum rap?

Why does meatloaf get a bum rap?

Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 PM

I make an elk meatloaf that is to die for. My two sons love it, hubby too. When both boys were still at home I could make a meatloaf with 5lbs of elk, 2 cans stewed tomatoes(petite dice), 6 shredded carrots, 3lg onions. 1red bell pepper, and 3 ribs celery. 2Tbsp ea. worchesshire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, and 3/4 tbsp cumin, 1 1/2 sleeves ritz crackers smashed with a rolling pin to very fine crumbs, 11/2 cups heinz ketchup, and 5 eggs.

Put everything, except meat, ritz crackers, and eggs, in a large sauce pan and cook down til vegies are cooked, then strain this to separate juice out. Let vegies cool a bit. Mean while, cook sauce longer to thicken it up, mix all ingredients except sauce, make two loaves, crease loaves down the middle length wise, split sauce between the loaves, then put in convection oven one on top one on bottom rack, bake at 325, until done, sauce usually turns thick and darkens. This was perfect to send in their school lunches.

Usually a lean meat like elk dries out and makes a bad meatloaf, but the extra veggies and tomatoes make a really good loaf. People can't believe that its made from elk. Had many people tell me you can't make meatloaf out of elk.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 PM

I make a large big thick patty & grill it a while then wrap in foil & finish cooking on grill. Its good this way.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:39 AM

I make meatloaf several ways. I can make it the old fashioned way with catsup mixed with brown sugar . a little in the mix and some on the top. I also make it with b-b-Q sauce, and I also make it using spegette sauce and cheese to give it an Italian taste. needless to say, My DH loves meatloaf
Old 06-17-2010, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Linda B
Nothing is better than a cold meatloaf sandwich. I agree about the mashed potatoes, too. I think I've got one frozen in the freezer. This is making me hungry.
My Hubby likes cold meatloaf sandwiches almost as well as the hot stuff.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:43 AM

I only like my own meatloaf. Mostly because I don't like tomato of any type in my meatloaf and almost everybody puts ketchup or tomato sauce of some type in theirs.

I serve scalloped potatoes with my meatloaf.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I only like my own meatloaf. Mostly because I don't like tomato of any type in my meatloaf and almost everybody puts ketchup or tomato sauce of some type in theirs.

My mom always did the same potatoes too. Guess she could bake everything at once.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc

My mom always did the same potatoes too. Guess she could bake everything at once.
It makes a meal that you can cook while you're doing other things. I cook that way most of the time. I want good food but I also want time to quilt. So "throw stuff together and shove it in the oven or crockpot" meals are high on the menu list around here.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc

It makes a meal that you can cook while you're doing other things. I cook that way most of the time. I want good food but I also want time to quilt. So "throw stuff together and shove it in the oven or crockpot" meals are high on the menu list around here.
During football season (High school & little league) its crock pot or breakfast for supper. I learned a long time ago. Would have been nice if my mom had had a crock pot but weren't invented yet.