Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Why does meatloaf get a bum rap? >

Why does meatloaf get a bum rap?

Why does meatloaf get a bum rap?

Old 06-16-2010, 06:14 AM

I don't cook much, just for me, but our family favorite for meat loaf was always with cream of chick, or mushroom soup, poured over the top, then baked. Wonderful gravy, but my favorite was the sandwhichs the next day...
Old 06-16-2010, 06:19 AM

I buy bulk hamburger and make three meat loafs and several dozen meatballs. I cook the meatballs and freeze them for later. The meatloaf I freeze raw in throwaway pie pans (round loaves) and cook them in my round crockpot on a rack that came with the crockpot. Because it cooks so slow, there is little shrinkage and can later be sliced really thin for sandwiches. Because it is on a rack, it doesn't cook in the fat. I seldom mix it the same way twice and am always surprised how good it turns out to be. It goes in the crockpot before I go to work and dinner is ready when I get home.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:30 AM

I like meatloaf...just some of the family doesn't. When i do make it though, I sometimes put a 'surprise' in the middle. Corn! Yep....divide in half and put bottom layer in pan...cover with frozen corn, put top layer on, and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top! Yummy!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:07 AM

I love meatloaf. We have several recipes we use.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 AM

Funny we are having meatloaf tonight. Your recipe sounds great. I'll have to try it.

An easy sauce that my kids always liked is:

equal parts ketchup and water
squirt or 2 of mustard
1 or 2 tbls brown sugar

mix together and heat on top of stove.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:38 PM

There's just something about meatloaf & mashed taters - good comfort food :thumbup:
Old 06-16-2010, 03:36 PM

I made meat loaf tonight. My husband loves it and I hate it. My dad hated it too. He called it "Goody Guts". I put the regular stuff in and add chopped garlic and diced green peppers. I cover my slice with salsa to make it tolerable.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:17 PM

we love meatloaf. when we were first married my mom worked for a company that made blocks of cheese. they would shave the sides, top and bottom to make them even. mom and the others would get the shavings to take home. the first time she brought me some, I decided to make a meatloaf --- mixed my ingredients and shaped it out like a pizza---put layers of the cheese shavings(could be anywhere from 1" square to 3"square) then rolled the meatloaf up and pressed the ground beef to itself to seal. baked it as usual and ta da, my famous meatloaf was born.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:37 PM

sounds yummy
Originally Posted by fktsewing
we love meatloaf. when we were first married my mom worked for a company that made blocks of cheese. they would shave the sides, top and bottom to make them even. mom and the others would get the shavings to take home. the first time she brought me some, I decided to make a meatloaf --- mixed my ingredients and shaped it out like a pizza---put layers of the cheese shavings(could be anywhere from 1" square to 3"square) then rolled the meatloaf up and pressed the ground beef to itself to seal. baked it as usual and ta da, my famous meatloaf was born.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:12 PM

Meatloaf is great if not dry.
Love warm meatloaf sandwiches
with ketchup the next day.
JBJ137 in SC