Why does my cat do this?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
My cat is content to sleep in the sun or wherever she chooses until I sit down to embroider. Then she insists on being on my lap under my needlework. I have her trained to not chase my thread although sometimes she does give it "the look". What is it that attracts her? She doesn't do it when I read or use the computer. We are assuming it is the sound of the thread going through the fabric.

What do you think? What strange things do your cats do?
My great yellow cat, Leo, now long gone to kitty heaven, loved it when I filed my nails. He purred and then insisted on licking the nail file, knocking it out of my hand if I didn't offer it in a timely way.

Right now, my Yorkie and my Pomeranian are snoring and that tells me that it time to call it a day.

froggyin texas
Old 03-29-2011, 07:56 PM

What do you think? What strange things do your cats do?[/quote]

My cat waits until I am sewing or computing, then he hops to the back of my chair, lays down, and leans into me, and falls asleep. If I need to move, I have to gently move around to wake him up, before I can move. I forgot to wake him once, and have the scars on my butt to prove it. It is nice to have that hot little body pressed into my shoulders, it's better than a heating pad, heating pads don't purr. His nickname is "rumbly-butt", among others. Bruno will also walk up to me and poke my arm when he wants something, if I ignore him, he will try 'the snuggy routine'.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:16 PM

I think our cats are related. She does the same thing when I sit down to sew.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-177249.jpe  
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Keaghank
I got one of my cats when he was teeny - and whenever I get out of the shower, he gets in and cleans himself. It's like he is copying me/taking his turn. Super cute!

My other cat will pat you when she wants attention or to be played with. She'll stretch up to whatever chair or place you're sitting at and pat your arm like "hello? I'm here... play with me!"
Aww! My BU will jump on my chest and gently pat my face with the same "hello" message. However, it is followed with I'm here.....feed me now damnit!
Old 03-29-2011, 09:51 PM

Cats are definitely quilt fans. I was hand-sewing the binding on this doll quilt a few days ago and dropped my needle. While I was on the floor searching, Pogo took possession.

One odd thing about this cat is that she is almost 100% silent. I heard her mew a couple of times on the way home from the vet. Otherwise, I would think something is wrong with her. Her hearing is fine. Our other one, Bee, is the spokescat. She has a few things to say, particularly if the food supply seems to be running low.

Pogo fetches a plastic hair curler, and sometimes she drops it in the water bowl and then brings it to me all wet. When she is finished with her game, she leaves it in the bowl of kibbles for next time. They each play with different toys, and the only thing they both like is a laser pointer, but they take turns and will not chase it if the other one is.

Pogo's Purple Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]177262[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-177256.jpe  
Old 03-29-2011, 10:55 PM

Pictures are glorious. My Fiona Cat likes to sit by me on the huge rectangular foot stool than matches my high back chair amd loves to sit my me when sewing. She can't get up on sewing table anymore, as I changed.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 PM

We had a cat for 22 years that past last Sept. and out of nowhere a kitten shows up totally lost and wild...of course I started to feed her and named her. Winter came and I had to bring her in for the winter ....well she is so entertaining....she loves my slippers and grabs my ankles as I walk and she slides across the floor....
Now when I sit she thinks she wants to get on the coffee and end tables so I keep a bottle of water nearby so I can spray her....she likes it so much she thinks she is getting a bath I guess....she is a funny girl..."KiKi" is what we named her
Old 03-30-2011, 12:13 AM

My daughter's cat Mookie loves to sit on the back of the couch and poke me in the shoulder and in the back of the head until I let her sit on my shoulder or lap.
Our little rehab guy (my friend found him after he got hit by a car) Hippy loves to lick the milk replacement off our little lamb's lips. He also cuddles and rubs all over the lamb.
All my cats have great personalities but these two are the most unique. I love my furbabies!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
My cat is content to sleep in the sun or wherever she chooses until I sit down to embroider. Then she insists on being on my lap under my needlework. I have her trained to not chase my thread although sometimes she does give it "the look". What is it that attracts her? She doesn't do it when I read or use the computer. We are assuming it is the sound of the thread going through the fabric.

What do you think? What strange things do your cats do?

i'd like to know why my cats like plastic bags, is it the smell???
Old 03-30-2011, 07:17 PM

We have 2 cats. A girl Angel which she isn't! and a boy named Lily. Lily likes to "kill" things. Mostly at night just after we've gone to bed or while we are at work. He attacks his "victim" and meows very loudly around the item while carrying it. Most "victims" are mine...slippers, socks, mittens. The other day when I got home from work, my pajamas were in the living room...a gift from Lily. Very impressive too since my pj's are footed onesies!!